A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

oil consumption 3.0T

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one other point to saif-
although VW doesn't tell you to NOT mix brands of oil, since (if?) you only have Castrol in the sump, you might want to continue topping off with castrol until your next change (vs. topping with M1) again, not your biggest worry in life, just putting it out there. Wally's also sells castrol edge 0w40 titanium in 5 qt jugs (for about $3 more than M1).
Old 07-12-2015, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FL C6.5 Avant
one other point to saif-
although VW doesn't tell you to NOT mix brands of oil, since (if?) you only have Castrol in the sump, you might want to continue topping off with castrol until your next change (vs. topping with M1) again, not your biggest worry in life, just putting it out there. Wally's also sells castrol edge 0w40 titanium in 5 qt jugs (for about $3 more than M1).
Originally Posted by raj99
Saif, you should be concerned whether the oil you use conforms to VW502 or 505 requirements, vs. whether it's 0w40 or 5w40. I run Mobil 1 0w40.
Yes I will make sure that it is VW 502 or 505 and I won't mess with it until next oil change I'll just top it off with the proper type of oil if necessary. I have one question that might be silly what is Wallys world is it Walmart lol I googled it that's what comes up so far and They do have that oil. I live in Pennsylvania Pittsburgh at the moment at times can be pretty chilly in the winter here sometimes -20. Only sometimes. I have always used 5W 40 but I am going to consider using 0W 40 from now on. I appreciate all the advice I love to learn I just have to wait till my car gets the flex pipes welded and raise it back to stock height. Could somebody point me in the right direction to find a good Indie mechanic in my area that is reputable but reasonable.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by saifxnyc
... I have one question that might be silly what is Wallys world is it Walmart ...
Yes
Old 07-24-2015, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello, I have 2010 a6 3.0 and it's burning fast.where is that lawsuit you found or used. After little under 3k it's low on dipstick
Old 07-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi40
First 20k+ miles were fine, then had the 25k service done. Got low oil warning light 2k miles later, added quart and brought back to full...another 2k miles later same thing. Dealer ran oil consumption test and came back "within spec .2 per 1000 miles". 2k miles after the oil consumption test (after dealer drained & refilled the oil), got low oil warning 3rd time and had to add another quart. Taking it back in tomorrow for further evaluation. A friend with a Q7 3.0T had to have piston rings replaced after similar issue and figures that's what I'm headed for.

Anyone else with C6 3.0T's had similar issues?
Yes. I am seeing this Oil consumption on my 2014 3.0T Supercharged. I took to the dealer and thought it need changed ,but had a lot of oil life, but a quart low. He put a quart in.

Drove about 600 miles light came on again. I had to get off the Highway in Western Maryland and fine the correct spec oil. Not easy to do. Now I need to carry a quart with me. I am taking another trip next week and will monitor. I am very concerned that this is a long term problem ending in Major engine problems. If the oil light come on in this next trip. We are going to have a meeting at my local dealer. It won't be pretty.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by audi40
Well I grabbed the manual and started reading and [much to my surprise] found the following: "Depending on the way the vehicle is driven and operating conditions, oil consumption can be up to 1 quart per 1,200 miles". After some more research, I found some TSB's that define the Audi oil consumption standard as "up to 0.5 quarts per 600 miles", consistent with what's in the manual.

Regardless, my dealer's service manager advised me that consuming a quart every 2k miles (as I have been) is "not normal" - will just have to wait and see what they decide to do after this second oil consumption test. BTW, I drive 15k miles a year, with probably 70% highway which I wouldn't think would lead to high oil consumption.
My previous audi consumed about the same amount of oil from the day I bough it till I send it to the car's heaven at 192K miles. It did not bother me too much. The only thing I fixed was the O-ring on the oil cooler when I had to take it off. But I do not believe the C6 has the same issue.
Unless you see the issue getting worst. Or unless it bother you in other ways, I would just let it go.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just noticed this thread and thought I should let anyone with oil burning issues know how I handled mine. I have 2009 3.Ot and it started using quite a bit of oil at around 80K. by the time I decided to do something about it at 90K.. I was up to 2 qts per 2000 miles. NOT GOOD. so the dealer has a TSB on it and a service they do to fix at a cost of about $2K. I hesitated doing this at first because I was hoping Audi would stand behind their product and do a recall like with the 2.0t, but no such luck. So, after deciding whether to sell the POS or keep, I decided to keep thus avoiding a car payment. the car is paid off so I only pay maintenance and gas. what they do is basically replace a breather valve with one from a new model Q5, replace some gaskets, and reprogram ECU for some reason and call it good. 12 hours labor and some $500 in parts later and you've got it fixed. I've paid my local dealer a lot of money over the years and have a good relationship with the service manager so I was able to get them to do the work for $1350. but it has fixed the problem. I went back 1000 miles after the work was completed for a consumption test and it had no measureable oil loss. So, in my case, their suggested fix does work, but it will cost you, if ANYONE has any questions about the procedure or parts used, PM me.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nielsn
I just noticed this thread and thought I should let anyone with oil burning issues know how I handled mine. I have 2009 3.Ot and it started using quite a bit of oil at around 80K. by the time I decided to do something about it at 90K.. I was up to 2 qts per 2000 miles. NOT GOOD. so the dealer has a TSB on it and a service they do to fix at a cost of about $2K. I hesitated doing this at first because I was hoping Audi would stand behind their product and do a recall like with the 2.0t, but no such luck. So, after deciding whether to sell the POS or keep, I decided to keep thus avoiding a car payment. the car is paid off so I only pay maintenance and gas. what they do is basically replace a breather valve with one from a new model Q5, replace some gaskets, and reprogram ECU for some reason and call it good. 12 hours labor and some $500 in parts later and you've got it fixed. I've paid my local dealer a lot of money over the years and have a good relationship with the service manager so I was able to get them to do the work for $1350. but it has fixed the problem. I went back 1000 miles after the work was completed for a consumption test and it had no measureable oil loss. So, in my case, their suggested fix does work, but it will cost you, if ANYONE has any questions about the procedure or parts used, PM me.
Thanks for posting your experience. this fits. in overly simplistic terms, your breather/separator (slightly more complicated than the old PCV valve) stopped breathing and you were ingesting oil thru the intake.
I would be curious what the part number of the B/S that was installed and if it is a countermeasure one to what came factory original (sounds like it from the Q5 statement).
Did you have carbon cleaning performed while the roots blower was off?
Old 08-11-2015, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

no, didn't need the carbon cleaned out. they checked and all was ok. so I got that going for me
Old 08-12-2015, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by nielsn

I received the same pitch from my dealer for the same problem. 2010 A6 3.0T consumes 1 quart every 1400 miles. They quoted me $1400 for the ECU update and breather valve replacement. Since $1400 buys about me about 196,000 diving miles with oil at $10 per quart, am I doing any damage to the A6 just adding a quart every 1400 miles?

Quick Reply: oil consumption 3.0T