A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

OIL LEAK UNDER ENGINE **w/ pics** HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL LEAK UNDER ENGINE **w/ pics** HELP

Hello fellow Audi DIY'ers, well I am experiencing oil leak under the car. I've been searching all sites and can't figure out whats the name of the part/piece and how to fix it. So any helpful tips is greatly appreciated. I will be DIY this at the soonest...also, while I'm doing this any thing I should do on the car while I'm fixing those leaky parts?
Attached Images      
Old 12-30-2014, 03:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

From this picture, it's the van pump and it leak power steering fluid. It's maybe a stupid silicon as always.

Look at part 10
Old 12-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello Huffy, thanks for the pic and for replying. I thought it looked like the power steering pump BUT my steering is still good and not giving me problems. Could it be just the hose I may need to replace since it is a 10 year old hose. I'll look into replacing entire hoses in the engine; will look into engine hose kits?
Old 12-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by !staudi35
Hello Huffy, thanks for the pic and for replying. I thought it looked like the power steering pump BUT my steering is still good and not giving me problems. Could it be just the hose I may need to replace since it is a 10 year old hose. I'll look into replacing entire hoses in the engine; will look into engine hose kits?
It's a slow leak I guess. You can add a tie wrap and tight the clamp. I looked on etka I think the part is 4F0422887L ~12$ at dealer.

Cheers

Julien
Old 12-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default WILL TRY THE TIE WRAPS...THANKS HUFFY!! Happy HOliddays..!!

Originally Posted by huffy15
It's a slow leak I guess. You can add a tie wrap and tight the clamp. I looked on etka I think the part is 4F0422887L ~12$ at dealer.

Cheers

Julien
I steam cleaned under the engine 3 days ago and took pics too see where and how severe these leaks are. They're minor leaks and would have 2-3 drops on the driveway in the morning.

My question: if its a minor leak, how long do I have until it becomes a major issue to where I need to DIY or find an Indy? She has 104k and my daily driver (60 mi/day). Cheers for all who took the time to respond and Happy HOlidays!!!
Attached Images   

Last edited by !staudi35; 12-31-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's hard to tell. From what I see here you should to a look over the tranny if there's oil on it just behind the engine from the top. In my case the oil filter housing was leaking on the transmission.

These gaskets tend to leak on the a6 :
- endcap cover (chain tensioner cover)
- valve cover
- oil filter gasket
- oil filter housing gasket (massive leak here for me)
- thermostat
- valley pan and oil pan (sometimes but very rare)

On my car there's a plastic protecting underneath the engine. I found many oil sponge on hit. It was funny to see this. Audi takes no chance just like they knew the car will leak one day.

Happy new year to you.

Last edited by huffy15; 12-31-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by huffy15
It's hard to tell. From what I see here you should to a look over the tranny if there's oil on it just behind the engine from the top. In my case the oil filter housing was leaking on the transmission.

These gaskets tend to leak on the a6 :
- endcap cover (chain tensioner cover)
- valve cover
- oil filter gasket
- oil filter housing gasket (massive leak here for me)
- thermostat
- valley pan and oil pan (sometimes but very rare)

On my car there's a plastic protecting underneath the engine. I found many oil sponge on hit. It was funny to see this. Audi takes no chance just like they knew the car will leak one day.

Happy new year to you.
I had the oil filter housing gasket leak as well. Seems like a bad design.

I'm guessing it comes from torqueing the housing when the oil filter cover comes off with each oil change.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the same two leaks on my 2010 3.0T. I've owned 5 older Audis and I've yet to have one where a damn power steering hose didn't leak from somewhere. 9 times out of ten I either add a screw tightening hose clamp or replace the existing one. I suspect that clamp is leaking. I've spent the whole day under mine doing all the fluid changes and intend to replace that clamp before I'm done.

As for the leak in the back, I've not read a lot about it yet but it almost looks to me like this leak could just be from oil changes. Because the filter sits on top of the motor it's nearly impossible not to leak some down the engine in the back. Indeed I tried today as I changed my oil and did drip some down the back despite trying to catch it. I imagine having it done they would be even less careful dripping more no doubt. I'll have to see if I can see any other seals leaking up there when I finish up tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Affordable ETKA

Does anyone know if there is an affordable copy of etka like there is an affordable ElsaWin ?
Old 01-04-2015, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by royclark
Does anyone know if there is an affordable copy of etka like there is an affordable ElsaWin ?
ebay?

Quick Reply: OIL LEAK UNDER ENGINE **w/ pics** HELP