A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Opinions Wanted.. To buy or not to Buy??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's a second car and more of a side project, why not? i can't see you taking a bath on the deal.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshLotterman
s
With all that being said, i apologize to any/all of you i may have offended or irritated.
Thanks Josh. Really appreciate your comment. Could be one of the first times someone has aplogized here!

I cannot tell you how many times we get a new person to the forum, has a ton of questions about a potential purchase, has never used the search feature, has not spent time reading the DIYs, guides or informational posts -- and after members take their time to give detailed answers, the new person simply fades away without so much as a thank you.

Buying a 200k almost 10 year old Audi is a BIG commitment. It is not to be done lightly. Stuff WILL continue to go wrong. And even aftermarket or used parts will cost and take time to install. How the car was cared for is crucial. Great care from the prior owner does not insure against disaster, but at least you will not also have additional issues from morons that improperly worked on the car.

Every good Audi mechanic will tell you that Audi's have a mid life crisis at about 100k. That is a mark of a precise, responsive German machine. Everything can be fixed (unlike GM) but everything mechanical will eventually break/wear out. So, while the car and its history/condition are important, YOUR attitude/commitment/temperament/skills and resources are just as if not more important.

Good luck
Old 10-28-2014, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
Thanks Josh. Really appreciate your comment. Could be one of the first times someone has aplogized here!

I cannot tell you how many times we get a new person to the forum, has a ton of questions about a potential purchase, has never used the search feature, has not spent time reading the DIYs, guides or informational posts -- and after members take their time to give detailed answers, the new person simply fades away without so much as a thank you.

Buying a 200k almost 10 year old Audi is a BIG commitment. It is not to be done lightly. Stuff WILL continue to go wrong. And even aftermarket or used parts will cost and take time to install. How the car was cared for is crucial. Great care from the prior owner does not insure against disaster, but at least you will not also have additional issues from morons that improperly worked on the car.

Every good Audi mechanic will tell you that Audi's have a mid life crisis at about 100k. That is a mark of a precise, responsive German machine. Everything can be fixed (unlike GM) but everything mechanical will eventually break/wear out. So, while the car and its history/condition are important, YOUR attitude/commitment/temperament/skills and resources are just as if not more important.

Good luck
Agree with EVERYTHING written here.

I still think you should get the car Enjoy it and you'll be hooked for life.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for all of the input.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the advice, input, and opinions i have been given in this thread, i have decided NOT to purchase the Audi. This will be my last post, however i will not be leaving without saying THANK YOU, or goodbye. I wish you all the best!
Old 10-29-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on the advice, input, and opinions i have been given in this thread, i have decided NOT to purchase the Audi. This will be my last post, however i will not be leaving without saying THANK YOU, or goodbye. I wish you all the best!
Thanks Josh -- I believe used car purchases have a lot of karma in them: if you don't feel/see the karma and are totally comfortable with the decision, then do not do it. A great Audi salesman once told me: NO ONE has to buy an Audi.

Many of us here speak from experience. We love Audi's but its not always easy. Far too many times we see people new to Audi, buy a 7 or 8 or 10 year old A6 or A8 for a great price, and then come onto the Forum screaming bloody murder because the first repair will cost $2k, maybe because they went to a dealer, or their local clueless Japanese indie or the car had hidden problems or, an expensive part just plain wore out.

There are great used Audi's out there - perhaps you will return!
Old 10-29-2014, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Probably a very smart decision.