A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Pinch Bolt nightmare, what to do NEXT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone out here who gave valueable tips. I just put the wheels back and un jack the car. Waiting for next weekend to try a shot with using ball joint tool or drill the bolt. My last option will be to take apart and going to machine shop.
One interesting thing i just noticed that i don't have to take a wheel off for pinch bolt job, maybe just jack-up the car little bit to have more clearance.

I tried to compress the spring to see if shock can be replaced without taking a entire assembly off, which looked almost impossible with Autozone spring compressor tool that i have rented, also there are chances of ruining control arm due to lake of clearance to work with.

I will keep you guys posted.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Put a large nut on top of the broken bolt and weld it to the broken bolt in the center of the nut. The bolt will come right out.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
Put a large nut on top of the broken bolt and weld it to the broken bolt in the center of the nut. The bolt will come right out.
I've seen this method used on heavy equipment many times. Be sure to put a washer between the nut and the part you are planning to reuse...just in case.

BillM
Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When you do get it out. Put some anti-seize all over it when you put it back in. Mine come out with my fingers pulling on it.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aligzaidi110
Wake96c4, thanks for reply.

No i dot have ball joint kit, and not sure if that help at this point, lol. Bolt side is totally flatten after hammering. I should have cut the the bolt before spinning, that way i could have room to push it through the hole using pin chisel.
I'm sure there are people out there with the same situation that i am in.

Cutting a bolt gives some room inside to use chisel hammer method.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61...easy-pics.html
Maybe I missed it but did you try the coupling nut method as shown in the link you provided? When I replaced my shocks this summer I had purchased the nuts in anticipation of this very nightmare. But I got lucky. I live in Southern California and the pinch bolts just slide right out without any resistance.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Get a good quality air hammer, or, drill them out.

When I did the upper control arm bushings on mine, I heeded the advice of the Audi tech, who said that I should just order new bolt and nut, since he had never seen any of these pinch bolts come out. He recommended an air hammer with pointy chisel to drive them out.

I ended up -not- having a good quality air hammer, so my solution was to drill them out.

Pain in the hind quarters, but access isn't really too bad...
Old 09-03-2013, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

I had the exact same issue when changing the struts in my C5 and in the end had to use a drill to actually drill out the pinch bolt...it was a huge PITA and I went through 2 drill bits and enormous frustration. But, when I was done I made sure that I used anti-seize on the new ones I put in to ensure I didn't have the same issue going forth. I ended up getting rid of the car, but at least the new owner won't have the same issue.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

happens all the time. Torch, hammer, and punch. Wrap the rubber balljoint boots with a soaking wet rag to keep them from catching on fire or burning. Get that area hot as **** and pound it out.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
happens all the time. Torch, hammer, and punch. Wrap the rubber balljoint boots with a soaking wet rag to keep them from catching on fire or burning. Get that area hot as **** and pound it out.
+1... good techs always keep spare pinch bolts on hand

theres also the oem tool for pinch bolt removal pn VAS6085

here is a vid on youtube ..edge motors using tool

Last edited by MainlandMig; 09-04-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Ah yes, heat. I forgot about how useful that is when working on seized bolts. Last time I did that with wheel bearings I was replacing, worked wonders on the hub bolts I couldn't otherwise budge.

Quick Reply: Pinch Bolt nightmare, what to do NEXT!