A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Power tailgate not/partially openingon first button press

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power tailgate not/partially openingon first button press

The power tailgate on my 06 A6 Avant is causing me intermittent issues. When I press the open button the tailgate (not the remote) the tailgate will either open properly, pop without opening, or will open about 1/10th of the way and just stop. The dealer has replaced the battery and the latch plate. Neither of those fixed the problem. Has anyone had and fixed this problem or have any ideas on the cause?

Also, whether it makes any difference or not I have the tech pkg with keyless start/unlock and therefore just reach down and press tailgate button regardless of whether the car is unlocked or not.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st car in my name
The power tailgate on my 06 A6 Avant is causing me intermittent issues. When I press the open button the tailgate (not the remote) the tailgate will either open properly, pop without opening, or will open about 1/10th of the way and just stop. The dealer has replaced the battery and the latch plate. Neither of those fixed the problem. Has anyone had and fixed this problem or have any ideas on the cause?

Also, whether it makes any difference or not I have the tech pkg with keyless start/unlock and therefore just reach down and press tailgate button regardless of whether the car is unlocked or not.
I think there is a bulletin on this...
Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you get this resolved? My 06 avant does the same thing.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DEVTTY1
Did you get this resolved? My 06 avant does the same thing.
Still working on it is close to a year later. It is now down to just the popping and not opening issue. I believe replacing the motor is what solved that problem. But they have replaced virtually all the parts of the tailgate at this point and it has not fixed this issue. It is not from lack of effort, but the problem is still present. I have opened an AoA ticket on this and we'll see what happens.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Heh not sure if you fixed this but for anyone else reading I found a way to fix the problems of power tailgates not lifting all the way up

Press the key fob to open tailgate

Manually lift the tailgate up to the full height

Press the button on tailgate used to close it and hold it for 4 seconds +

That should be it sorted! It worked on mine after two months trying to find a fault and it just needed this reset

Hope this helps
The following 4 users liked this post by Andykart:
beep-beep (01-19-2022), Gone2Pot (01-19-2022), jb76 (08-26-2021), Ochilbhoy (03-19-2022)
Old 04-20-2015, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Tailgate opening fix

Thanks Andykart you have solved my problem I had Audi tell me it was the motor but I reset and all resolved very happy😀

Originally Posted by Andykart
Heh not sure if you fixed this but for anyone else reading I found a way to fix the problems of power tailgates not lifting all the way up

That should be it sorted! It worked on mine after two months trying to find a fault and it just needed this reset

Hope this helps
Old 02-26-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hope this helps
Brilliant answer, fixed in less than a minute! Plus the time it took to find this post.

No idea why the tailgate suddenly decided it was only going 1/3 of the way up, but it's back to how it should be again now.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hope this helps
I wish this were the problem with mine.

I have a suspicion that mine is due to tired struts, but I haven't gone so far as replacing them to find out.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DEVTTY1
I wish this were the problem with mine.

I have a suspicion that mine is due to tired struts, but I haven't gone so far as replacing them to find out.
Replacing struts is probably one of the easiest things you can do on your car...not much effort there.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Genius

I have registered just just to say - stroke of genius. On an Audi A6 avant 14reg - worked perfectly first time.
Thanks

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Power tailgate not/partially openingon first button press