A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Purchased 2008 A6Q 3.4L - Basic Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default Purchased 2008 A6Q 3.4L - Basic Questions

I purchased a 2008 A6 on Monday and have been grinning since I picked her up.

Lots of questions -- and lots of searching -- thus far. I have enough information to be dangerous but very few definitive answers thus far. The two things that are killing me include one headlight (passenger) that is very, very cloudy and the inability to stream audio from my cell phone. I know these are basic questions and I have been working every search engine I can find!!

Hoping for some help:

1) I have no idea how this car is optioned (documented specifically.) It has MMI 2G/High (color screen.) Bluetooth is there and pairs but is only available for phone calls (no audio streaming.) There is a 6-disk changer in the glove box, but nothing that appears to be an AMI port -- which I think is significant. It does have the backup camera. Do not see a NAV CD-ROM drive in the trunk and MMI tells me it is not installed. Regarding the headlight issue -- it does have Xenons (not sure if they are Bi-Xenon or not and how to check) and I also don't know (most importantly) if they have the AFS (I think that is the term) functionality where the lights turn left/right with the steering wheel to curve/adapt to turns in the road.
2) Searched everywhere I could look to find the 'options sticker' with the list of dealer installed options. Spare tire well, maintenance booklet -- no joy.
3) Regarding Bluetooth audio streaming -- would love to confirm for sure that there is no AMI port in the car to ensure I just don't need a cable and a BT adapter. That would be easy. If there isn't one, is there any advantage to getting the Denison 500 BT versus adding AMI and the cable/adaptor. Both seem to be in the neighborhood of $500. Would also like to know (from anyone running the Denison) and confirm you can connect to both that unit to stream audio and the stock Audi BT for phone calls at the same time and have them both work correctly.
4) Regarding the headlight -- I'm going to try to refinish it with either the 3M or the Sylvania kit (sand, polish, etc.) If that doesn't work -- I really need to know if the lights in the car have the AFS/left-right adaptation during turns as the replacement options are greatly limited if this is in place. Based on what I have read, I have no intention of trying to make an AFS car work with a non-AFS Xenon replacement light. Looks like a nightmare.
5) If I wanted to retrofit Nav -- any idea how complex this is? It would seem I have some of the key requirements necessary (MMI 2G/High and the Backup Camera has been mentioned as a common option along with Nav.) If it's wiring the CD-drive in the trunk I would consider it. If it's more than that I'll use my phone!

After a couple of days I do love the car and am hoping to rack up a ton of miles on it! Any newbie advice appreciated on what to look for, do preventatively, etc. is appreciated. That said the lack of at least an AUX IN for the radio/MMI baffles me. I've ordered a cig lighter Bluetooth -> FM Modulator ($20..!) so I can get the podcasts going in the short term but having that big old display drives me nuts I would need to do such a thing.

Great to be back -- we had an A6 (C5) some time ago and it will be good to get back into this community.

Rodie (Hogg540i)
--
2008 A6Q 3.4L
2003 M3 Cab
1973 Corvette 454

Retired
2004 X5 4.4L
2000 A6Q 2.8L
1998 540i
Old 07-14-2016, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your Audi dealership should be able to find out what options were fitted from your VIN.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogg540i
I purchased a 2008 A6 on Monday and have been grinning since I picked her up.

Lots of questions -- and lots of searching -- thus far. I have enough information to be dangerous but very few definitive answers thus far. The two things that are killing me include one headlight (passenger) that is very, very cloudy and the inability to stream audio from my cell phone. I know these are basic questions and I have been working every search engine I can find!!

Hoping for some help:

1) I have no idea how this car is optioned (documented specifically.) It has MMI 2G/High (color screen.) Bluetooth is there and pairs but is only available for phone calls (no audio streaming.) There is a 6-disk changer in the glove box, but nothing that appears to be an AMI port -- which I think is significant. It does have the backup camera. Do not see a NAV CD-ROM drive in the trunk and MMI tells me it is not installed. Regarding the headlight issue -- it does have Xenons (not sure if they are Bi-Xenon or not and how to check) and I also don't know (most importantly) if they have the AFS (I think that is the term) functionality where the lights turn left/right with the steering wheel to curve/adapt to turns in the road.
2) Searched everywhere I could look to find the 'options sticker' with the list of dealer installed options. Spare tire well, maintenance booklet -- no joy.
3) Regarding Bluetooth audio streaming -- would love to confirm for sure that there is no AMI port in the car to ensure I just don't need a cable and a BT adapter. That would be easy. If there isn't one, is there any advantage to getting the Denison 500 BT versus adding AMI and the cable/adaptor. Both seem to be in the neighborhood of $500. Would also like to know (from anyone running the Denison) and confirm you can connect to both that unit to stream audio and the stock Audi BT for phone calls at the same time and have them both work correctly.
4) Regarding the headlight -- I'm going to try to refinish it with either the 3M or the Sylvania kit (sand, polish, etc.) If that doesn't work -- I really need to know if the lights in the car have the AFS/left-right adaptation during turns as the replacement options are greatly limited if this is in place. Based on what I have read, I have no intention of trying to make an AFS car work with a non-AFS Xenon replacement light. Looks like a nightmare.
5) If I wanted to retrofit Nav -- any idea how complex this is? It would seem I have some of the key requirements necessary (MMI 2G/High and the Backup Camera has been mentioned as a common option along with Nav.) If it's wiring the CD-drive in the trunk I would consider it. If it's more than that I'll use my phone!

After a couple of days I do love the car and am hoping to rack up a ton of miles on it! Any newbie advice appreciated on what to look for, do preventatively, etc. is appreciated. That said the lack of at least an AUX IN for the radio/MMI baffles me. I've ordered a cig lighter Bluetooth -> FM Modulator ($20..!) so I can get the podcasts going in the short term but having that big old display drives me nuts I would need to do such a thing.

Great to be back -- we had an A6 (C5) some time ago and it will be good to get back into this community.

Rodie (Hogg540i)
--
2008 A6Q 3.4L
2003 M3 Cab
1973 Corvette 454

Retired
2004 X5 4.4L
2000 A6Q 2.8L
1998 540i
Hi Roadie,

You don't have a 3.4 engine, you have a 3.2 V6. Also, I have a Dension 500 installed instead of a AMI, but there are other options: Xcarlink, Arduino, etc... use the SEARCH.

There are a TON of threads of retroffiting nav to the car, just use the SEARCH...there's even one with step by step pictures.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Hi Roadie,

You don't have a 3.4 engine, you have a 3.2 V6. s.
Technically his engine is a 3.1 that the Audi marketing department called a 3.2. But that is a completely different story. LOL