A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Successfully converted a AFS to Non-AFS

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Successfully converted a AFS to Non-AFS

I Just Purchase an 2005 Audi A6 with AFS, that came with the AFS error light, Went to open the hood and realized the previous owner had converted to the 2010 headlight assembly. So after browsing the Net and realize there were many attempts, all i found were failed attempt, even on A6retrofit.com.
So I took on the Challenge to see if i can do it. Here is my attempt.
First I picked up a Non-AFS J431 Module, and did the repin , took 5 mins.

Using the digram to compare AFS and Non-AFS

Remove the latching , and Re-pin the connector and popped off the cover to the Non-AFS module.

as you realize, the connector does not match up, but thats not a problem, because one you remove the latching part, the connector can plug up no problem.

On the Non-AFS there is pin 15-22 which are Side marker L positive and negative, so i use resistors to trick'em to make them think theres a bulb in between.

But all that work, and realized, I still have problems, well of course right? I didn't code em yet. So after several attempts, I still failed. I coded the Xenon module, and the central module, to no Success.
well, the assume the car came coded as AFS, well i decided to scour the module database one by one and check them all. First of course is the Central module, security access and tried,but everytime i coded it, it gets rejected, but after few attempts, I realize thats not the case, It does take it. If you back out and go back in the module has the new code, so here is what i coded mine to.

Basically I coded mine to have Halogen Bulb, and No DRL with no headlamp washers, because on my car it broke.

Then I went to the Central Gateway module and found in the coding that AFS was enabled on this car, So in the Code helper, I disabled it.

I confirm the new code to disabled the AFS on this vehicle.

Then I found in the Instrument Module there is a setting for AFS
so here i disabled it, 2048 is the first 4 digit that i changed, if you have any other options, you have to add that options to it. AFS was 64, so my original number was 2112.

Here you can see the new coding in the Instrument module.

Once completed, I cleared all the code . Also in a few steps before this I did attempt to log into Xenon module and recode it to A6 and it did nothing, so i put it back to 0000012(A3) and played around with the adaptation, since it did nothing. So I turn the key off and back on, and Voila! somewhere along the line of all the recoding and changing the car to a NON-AFS, now the dash no longer alerts me of my adaptive headlight. But I do have some bulb alert, saying my low beam and hi beam are out because The vehicle is using aftermarket ballast and bulb. Which i can fix with resistors, no biggie. here is my alarm to confirm some of you skeptics.

So I no longer have adaptation headlight error<br/>now its just thinking I have no halogen bulb because of the aftermarket HID

here is a log of the fault code.

Next I was curious to see what happens if i remove the J431, well sure enough, All that work i did in the beginning was useless i guess. The car works perfect without it. The vehicle no longer looks for the Xenon module. So maybe you can do all the coding without the module mod, you probably can do it all with the current one you have. But I have successfully pulled it off, and maybe you want to try, but I am not responsible for any mistake you cause to your own car. Be sure to photo document all coding before making any changes. Goodluck.
I just joined this Forum, and a new member I hope I have contributed a lot since this was a world wide problem with no solution posted online since the time I posted this Post. A fix that has no cost if you already have a VCDS.

5/3/16UPDATE:
So I decided to keep and use the aftermarket HID (Ebay slim kit) thats already in there, and try and code it as (2) Xenon with Headlight washer, and Voila no more Dash light regarding bulb fail. AFS to Non-AFS is now 100% complete.

1. So what I found out is you can remove the J431 Module, throw it away, jk, save it for what ever reason in your drawers or leave it there, not sure if it'll throw any code for any reason and then code the
Central Module with Xenon only, it will see the Cheap Ebay HID ballast as valid.
no more errors regarding failed light.
2. Code the Instrument module to NON-AFS using Code Helper

Reason why I changed my set up is because when i had it as Halogen, The module can't see the high beam and keeps throwing high beam bulb failed. but i was able to use a load resistor to remove the low beam failed. So i decided to remove the Load resistors, and re-solder the wires back, and just try and recode the central module. Again, When you code the Central module, it will say fail code/reject, but in actually , when you back out of the module and log back in , it has the new code you program, and will register fine. Also, my High beam works fine now.

Last edited by quan717; 05-03-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is the car with the Auto Lights on, Everything works fine, no problem.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!!! Where in LA are you located. And I take it you have a Ross tech cable
Old 04-25-2016, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

great write-up on this OP. BTW, I noticed the fog-light LEDs, where did you get those from, since that would be an interesting addition. TIA
Old 04-25-2016, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

They come from eBay!
Old 04-25-2016, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, I believe they are from Ebay.
I just bought this car, so all these came with it, along with the front end mod.
So I assume he got it on there. It came with a LED module, and its tied to the Park Lamps, so its always on when in Auto mode. I ordered the 6ohm, 50w Resistor to trick the Lamp fail, just waiting on it now.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I from Lafayette , LA.
Not Los Angeles.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by quan717
I from Lafayette , LA.
Not Los Angeles.
LOL yeah I kinda figured. My wife is from a small town by Morgan city. Next time I come that way would you be interested in changing a few things for me with your cable?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SiMpLyMoDiFiEd
LOL yeah I kinda figured. My wife is from a small town by Morgan city. Next time I come that way would you be interested in changing a few things for me with your cable?
sure no problem, I live like 1.5hrs away from morgan city. I live in the city, you should look into getting a vcds , its a good tool to check and play with your car. Kinda like a must have if you have a Audi/VW. I used to be a mechanic for 19yrs, and I knew that when I got this car, I'ma need it to diagnose the problem they will eventually have.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE:
So I decided to keep and use the aftermarket HID (Ebay slim kit) thats already in there, and try and code it as (2) Xenon with Headlight washer, and Voila no more Dash light regarding bulb fail. AFS to Non-AFS is now 100% complete.

1. So what I found out is you can remove the J431 Module, and code the
Central Module with Xenon only, it will see the Cheap Ebay HID ballast as valid.
no more errors regarding failed light.
2. Code the Instrument module to NON-AFS using Code Helper

Last edited by quan717; 05-03-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Successfully converted a AFS to Non-AFS