A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-22-2016, 01:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Transmission Guides

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Transmission Fluid Change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@ECStuning
Just to chime in here, you may also want to get new exhaust hardware. They don't take too kindly to re-use if they are reasonably rusty.
Wow, I never even considered the exhaust hardware for r1's job although I couldn't locate the web area..good heads-up Chris.

Last edited by mystrodo; 07-12-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Attached is a link to a service guide put out by ZF the manufacturer of the transmission in our Audis. The link discusses that the transmission is designed to be maintenance free. However, it also says that the fluid should be changed every 8 years or between 80,000 kilometers (50k miles)and 120,000 kilometers (75k miles) depending on driving style. Accordingly, Audi's claim of "lifetime" is based on a lifetime of 8 years and 75,000 miles. Personally I inited on keeping the car for longer than 75,000 miles.

http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_In...011_en0700.pdf

I think this is a pretty definitive answer Kevin. It is exactly the type of data needed around good forums. I will have mine done during my 65k maintenance routine. Thanks so much
Old 07-13-2010, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@ECStuning
I'd be happy to. At what flange are you disconnecting the exhaust from?
Will have to check Bentley to be more specific, but if I recall correctly, it will be disconnected underneath the center front of the car where the exhaust crosses over the trans pan.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Shouldn't be no more questions on whether the fluid is *lifetime..it is not!
Now the Tranny itself should never need a wrench (lifetime) *if it's not abused or not given a fresh fluid transplant at appropriate times.

On the crossover pipe and flanges..they make a special exhaust goop you apply when you reassemble, also.. if the pipe and flanges look solid and no real rust..why not reuse them and just put new bolts on? Chris?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The_Mizarc
I think this is a pretty definitive answer Kevin. It is exactly the type of data needed around good forums. I will have mine done during my 65k maintenance routine. Thanks so much
Good document. Looks like the driving style in both our A6 and Z4 is such that ZF recommendation is to actually change the ATF.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am a novice here, but I'd like to keep my transmission running properly. What recommendation would you have for those of us who want to keep their Audi's running well if we are going to change the fluid by someone else? It sounds like from the thread that this could create problems if done incorrectly, so I would want to know specifically what to ask someone to do. I see the approved lubricants listed but it's unclear what our part number is. Would you go to your Audi deal for this or another location? After a X-country drive next month I'll have a bit over 60k on my 3.2 '05.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
I am a novice here, but I'd like to keep my transmission running properly. What recommendation would you have for those of us who want to keep their Audi's running well if we are going to change the fluid by someone else? It sounds like from the thread that this could create problems if done incorrectly, so I would want to know specifically what to ask someone to do. I see the approved lubricants listed but it's unclear what our part number is. Would you go to your Audi deal for this or another location? After a X-country drive next month I'll have a bit over 60k on my 3.2 '05.
I'd personally go to the dealer unless you have an indy that really knows Audi. Not sure the diff in price but I can't imagine more than a couple hundred bucks which is well worth it to me.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by r1racer
I'd personally go to the dealer unless you have an indy that really knows Audi. Not sure the diff in price but I can't imagine more than a couple hundred bucks which is well worth it to me.
I wonder if the Audi dealers will resist. My BMW dealer told me that since it's a lifetime fluid, they will not do an ATF and filter change.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default would you want old fluids in your $5K transmission?

I've never heard of an Audi dealer refusing to change the fluid.

I think the consensus is approx every 70K miles if you want to keep your transmission in it's very best condition.
Print a copy of the ZF PDF Kevin posted, reread this full thread and links then find a better BMW shop.

http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_In...011_en0700.pdf

also, chances are r1racer will soon be doing his own..I'm positive we'll get a glowing report.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My Audi Dealer didn't want to do it. I think i will insist on it though when i make my next trip for maintenance. Problem is if I were to use turkeybaster's research and walk in with 10 quarts of the ford branded atf I would lose any chance at a claim later on if a problem did arise. So i am forced to pay for the atf there at the dealer. The only alternative being an independent Audi service location.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change?