A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

water in footwell, car wont start, no crank. help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in footwell, car wont start, no crank. help!

I have an Audi A6 2006 quattro. Start noticing driverside front and back foot well soaked in water after rain. Most likely from the roof drain clog.

A few weeks after and one more rainstorm, I noticed the crank weak and struggle before going through and starting the car.
Then next day my car wont crank.Everything turns on, so battery is good.

I lifted up the carpet and saw the control module, which seemed dry
Anyone have any idea what could have received water damage under the carpet preventing the car to crank?
Thank you.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you pull the floor bungs out and see if water was in the unibody? And if the outer drain bungs were plugged?
Old 10-13-2016, 10:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Richard Levy
Did you pull the floor bungs out and see if water was in the unibody? And if the outer drain bungs were plugged?
Basically when i lifted the carpet the sponge under the drivers side front and rear were soaked...

Anyone have any idea what needs to be replaced? basically water accumulated on the footwell only.
Battery is good, when I turn the key everything lights up.
Doesnt crank, just makes a few clicks sounds. tic tic tic and stops. (everythings dry now, been 3 months)

Any suggestion on what could be replaced would help me so much. Im at the point of giving up.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Under your carpet is the bluetooth module... If it is fry, your mmi won't work... If everything lighting up but your car is not cranking and doing tic, tic, tic, to me this sound like a dead battery. You have enough power to light everything but not enough power to crank the engine... It take a lot of power to crank an engine but not to power a radio. Bring your battery to a car part store and ask them to check it. Usually it is free...
Old 10-16-2016, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by life4sk8
Under your carpet is the bluetooth module... If it is fry, your mmi won't work... If everything lighting up but your car is not cranking and doing tic, tic, tic, to me this sound like a dead battery. You have enough power to light everything but not enough power to crank the engine... It take a lot of power to crank an engine but not to power a radio. Bring your battery to a car part store and ask them to check it. Usually it is free...

Thanks for the reply.

Basically the battery is good. I had it checked out. MMI screen comes on, music plays, headlights are on when i turn the key.
The car started to have trouble cranking after the first time i noticed the carpet wet after a storm. (idiot me shouldve had it checked out then)
After another storm a week later, carpet wet again... The next morning, I didnt even get the struggling crank and start... No more crank at all when i turn the key, just tic tic tic. tic tic tic.
-The carpet is only wet on the Left side (driver side) front and back, passengers side is dry.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Scan your car with vcds to see if you have any code. Solve your water problem before you screw up your bluetooth module in driver side (left side) in the footwell under the carpet. Thrust me, if this module fry or any module in the mmi system, you are looking a big buck to fix it.... But this module can be bad and the car would start anyway and run fine... This module got nothing to do with the mecanic of the car...
Old 03-15-2020, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Any resolution to this? Having a similar problem
Old 03-19-2020, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VCDS scan.
I would also make sure you are getting power to the starter. I had rain in my footwell also but the car still started fine. I had a no crank condition when suddenly my starter ground strap cable was found to have rusted off.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Wiper drains blocked?

Hi all, can’t help re the mechanical problem but as for the leak, have you checked the drains in the windscreen wiper tray? They can become blocked after a few years worth of gunk builds up, and it can cause them to fill with water during heavy rain, which then overflows and soaks through the carpet/ insulation. Your issue sounds similar to what I had in that respect and it’s an easy fix- just clear the crud away! Hope it helps and good luck with the other issues!
Old 04-05-2020, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SillyBill
Hi all, can’t help re the mechanical problem but as for the leak, have you checked the drains in the windscreen wiper tray? They can become blocked after a few years worth of gunk builds up, and it can cause them to fill with water during heavy rain, which then overflows and soaks through the carpet/ insulation. Your issue sounds similar to what I had in that respect and it’s an easy fix- just clear the crud away! Hope it helps and good luck with the other issues!
I had both:

the windshield chamber drains clogged and rainwater came through the ventilation into the front footwells.
I also had the drains in the moonroof channel clogged and the rainwater came through the front A-pillars.
I clean all these drains with the compressed air.
Now the worst ones are the rear drains on the moonroof. When those are closed and the car is parked uphill, the water comes through the C-pillars into the basin of the rear seat and it sits there for a long time. If it rains really hard, it can fill in footwell as well.
I do not know how to clean the rear drains of the moonroof. I found some info about the end of the drain hose under the rear wheel liner. I found some funky wholes under the liner, but I do not know how to clean them. I do not think the compressed air would do much there.
Any advice will be really helpful.

Quick Reply: water in footwell, car wont start, no crank. help!