A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

2016 A7 Rough Ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Let's be clear. What is "smooth as glass" to one person may not be to others. Secondly, the road conditions vary a lot in different locals. My car rides great on probably 90% of the miles I drive. The other 10%, or whatever, the car feels choppy. The worst are concrete freeways that have uneven seams between slabs.
Thats true. It varies and I hate vibration or abnormal shimmy in seats or steering wheel so when I get a perfect balance tire/wheel combo the car is smooth at all speed with the feeling of normal road feel. This car doesnt feel as choppy as my 2013 Lexus GS350 F-sport and more smoother so I am happy.

But what the OP is saying is not road related and more speed related between 30-70 mph that hes feeling this abnormal vibration or road feedback regardless of what road .
Old 06-14-2016, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Pirellis. that might be your issue. Even if they road force balance out within tolerance, they can be out of round which can give you the "hop" you're experiencing. Been there, done that. If you have the P-Zeros, you might want to try another set of tires.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes I agree with snagitseven that Pirellis are junk no matter if you get them road force balance. Every set I had would vibrate or go out of round over time.

Here is complaints on the same Pirelli CInturato P7 tires on another audi forum:

Brand New 2014 A4 Vibrations [Archive] - Audizine Forums
Old 06-14-2016, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Yes I agree with snagitseven that Pirellis are junk no matter if you get them road force balance. Every set I had would vibrate or go out of round over time.

Here is complaints on the same Pirelli CInturato P7 tires on another audi forum:

Brand New 2014 A4 Vibrations [Archive] - Audizine Forums
I have no direct experience with the P7 but the P-Zero and P6 I would never own again even if they were free and came with a 10 year supply of Doritos.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I have no direct experience with the P7 but the P-Zero and P6 I would never own again even if they were free and came with a 10 year supply of Doritos.
Haha very hilarious!! Couldn't of said it better.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone hates the P-Zeros. If they are so bad ... why do the manufacturers continue to use them? Are they under contract? If so .... why would a car manufacturer risk the performance of their cars on less than ideal tires?

I had them on my R8 V10. All the owners couldn't wait to change them to the PSS.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Braces
Everyone hates the P-Zeros. If they are so bad ... why do the manufacturers continue to use them? Are they under contract? If so .... why would a car manufacturer risk the performance of their cars on less than ideal tires?

I had them on my R8 V10. All the owners couldn't wait to change them to the PSS.
Contracted price and the ability to supply in the numbers required.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have zero issues with my Pirellis. They drive fine, so far. I felt like I got the good ones. Mine are 20" inch. Should expect something bad to happen to shortly?
Old 07-07-2016, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Indemand
I have zero issues with my Pirellis. They drive fine, so far. I felt like I got the good ones. Mine are 20" inch. Should expect something bad to happen to shortly?

After awhile they will get noisy and possibly could exhibit some vibration as they wear due to becoming out of round and will be tough to balance properly. Also, don't expect more than 20-25K miles of tread life. That pretty well sums up why P-Zeros get a bad rap around here.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Braces

You have to remember what a P-Zero is. It's what we call a runflat. In order to be drivable with zero pressure, it has to have a sidewall that does not collapse. Hence the harsh ride.

So why do cars have them? To save space and weight by not needing a spare. And many people love them because the don't have to worry about being on the side of the road with a flat tire. Would you want your wife sitting on the shoulder of an interstate in the middle of a big city changing a tire or waiting for help? That's why manufacturers use them

BTW, performance is really not a problem. There are some outstanding runflats on cars like Z06 Corvettes that can pull 1.10 G.

Quick Reply: 2016 A7 Rough Ride