A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 TDI Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 TDI Recommendations

I'm considering ordering a '16 A7 TDI and am debating trim levels and packages. Any recommendations on Premium Plus versus Prestige? It seems like the main added feature of the Prestige trim is the head-up display, which receives mixed reviews...at best. Outside of that, is there any reason to "upgrade" to Prestige versus Premium Plus?

Also, any thoughts on other available packages? In particular, I was considering the Black Optic package, but from reading the forum it sounds like there have been negative reviews of the 20" wheels. I have a long commute (why the TDI appeals to me), and can't tolerate going through a bunch of tires in a given year. Also, any thoughts on the driver assistance package? Is this feature helpful? I'm generally not a big user of cruise control features, so maybe not the best fit for me?
Old 05-07-2015, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heads Up Display at it's worst is a serious plus for me. I've had several cars with it and it bugs me getting into my wife's car without it. Just the speedometer spoils me, and the Navigation is a big plus. The other "must have" for me is ventilated seats. I live in Houston and sweat easily. I won't buy a car without it anymore.

I have 20" wheels and if I were ordering a car I would get 19's. The 20s are a little giggly on some pavement.

By the way, I thought I would never want a diesel as I'm a speed junkie and I consider the 3.0 adequate but not great, especially coming from a BMW 550. But a few weeks ago I rode in an A8L diesel with four adults in the car. I was really, really impressed with the acceleration. I know that flat out though the gears my car is faster, but the TDI is quite impressive. I drove a BMW 535 D and was not nearly as impressed.

Good luck with whatever direction you go with options.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Heads Up Display at it's worst is a serious plus for me. I've had several cars with it and it bugs me getting into my wife's car without it. Just the speedometer spoils me, and the Navigation is a big plus. The other "must have" for me is ventilated seats. I live in Houston and sweat easily. I won't buy a car without it anymore.

I have 20" wheels and if I were ordering a car I would get 19's. The 20s are a little giggly on some pavement.

By the way, I thought I would never want a diesel as I'm a speed junkie and I consider the 3.0 adequate but not great, especially coming from a BMW 550. But a few weeks ago I rode in an A8L diesel with four adults in the car. I was really, really impressed with the acceleration. I know that flat out though the gears my car is faster, but the TDI is quite impressive. I drove a BMW 535 D and was not nearly as impressed.

Good luck with whatever direction you go with options.
+1 on HUD
+1 on 19" vs. 20"
+1 on ventilated seats and
+1 on being impressed with TDI. (especially If you generally drive below 4600 RPM. If you like to drive frequently above 4600 - not so much.)
Old 05-08-2015, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would highly recommend the prestige package with the 20 inch sports package. Unlike jjsc6 stating it has a "giggly" ride, I do not find any of that with any pressure with mines.BTW, this A7 is far smoother and planted then my 2013 Lexus GS F-Sport or BMW 535 x-drive which would get choppy/jiggliness on certain surfaces. jjsc has a Lexus GS luxury which is smoother on the highways then the F-sport version.

I recently put Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 tires on the car and it transformed the handling and ride for the better. The standard continentals are crap. Too much body roll and sway. Numb steering and twitchy straight line stability on grooved pavements.

Anyways, the heads up display and bose as well as the LED lights are a big plus! Its a good package over the premium plus. IMO the premium plus seats are terrible and downright pathetic. Not enough thigh support.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would get the Prestige just for the exterior body work. The other features are icing on the cake.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I would get the Prestige just for the exterior body work. The other features are icing on the cake.
I disagree. The Prestige seats are far more comfortable then the Premium plus and the standard sound system is not great at all compared to Bose. LED lights being included in this package is a steal of a deal.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great, thanks for all the feedback. Seems like Prestige versus Premium Plus is the way to go...no consensus on 19" versus 20" wheels.

I'm definitely excited about the TDI. As I said, I have a long commute, so I'll put the MPG to good use! Also considering a Tesla 70D as it's a similar price point, but feel like the technology still needs another 5+ years to mature...
Old 05-10-2015, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The 19s should work out to be much more comfortable and less subject to pot hole damage. I like my HUD and really like the Night Vision Assist but that requires innovation pkg about a 5 k hit on top of everything else, cannot remember if it is required for the HUD in newer model years definitely was for 2012
Old 05-12-2015, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I would highly recommend the prestige package with the 20 inch sports package. Unlike jjsc6 stating it has a "giggly" ride, I do not find any of that with any pressure with mines.BTW, this A7 is far smoother and planted then my 2013 Lexus GS F-Sport or BMW 535 x-drive which would get choppy/jiggliness on certain surfaces. jjsc has a Lexus GS luxury which is smoother on the highways then the F-sport version.

I recently put Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 tires on the car and it transformed the handling and ride for the better. The standard continentals are crap. Too much body roll and sway. Numb steering and twitchy straight line stability on grooved pavements.

Anyways, the heads up display and bose as well as the LED lights are a big plus! Its a good package over the premium plus. IMO the premium plus seats are terrible and downright pathetic. Not enough thigh support.
Just so you know, jjs also just came out of a 550 BMW with runflat tires and the M sport suspension. JJS has also owned numerous Corvettes with the Z 51 suspension and runflat tires and also a Z06 Corvette. So please don't use my wife's Lexus as a gauge for how I rate a cars ride. But I also realize that we don't all drive the same road surfaces. My car does ride fine on many roads.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Just so you know, jjs also just came out of a 550 BMW with runflat tires and the M sport suspension. JJS has also owned numerous Corvettes with the Z 51 suspension and runflat tires and also a Z06 Corvette. So please don't use my wife's Lexus as a gauge for how I rate a cars ride. But I also realize that we don't all drive the same road surfaces. My car does ride fine on many roads.
My fault. You are right. BTW, I am putting some eurocode sway bars in the front and rear of car this Thursday. I love the car and it feels ALOT better with the Michelins with better stability and less body roll then the standard continentals we talked about. Also, I noticed that the jiggling on some road surface was eliminated with the Michelins. However as you said it varies on road surface and we might not have the same time given our different states.

The body roll is better then the BMW 5 series by a long shot when taking quick turns but slightly more then the Lexus GS F-Sport package which was flatter in turns so the eurocode sway bars will dramatically improve the car handling and make it more flatter then it is now on the Michelins.

Quick Reply: A7 TDI Recommendations