A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Audi A7 Head Up + night vision retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
3) Have the night vision display on the HUD instead of just in the DIS.
+1.
Yes Yes. Night vision in HUD would be GREAT so we don't have to look down and take eyes off road. Cadillac projects night vision on windshield but never seen this first-hand so not sure if it works well.
I've seen Night vision cameras on Ebay few times. Only once did I see a night vision controller available. I did see a Youtube video of an electrical guru trying to make the night vision camera work as an independent system outside of the car but didn't work. I saw a post of same attempt with caddilac system and that did work. For the Audi system, the posts and theories that followed were that the Audi system communicates and looks for signals from many other on-board systems to complete the signal loop and enable proper operation. In other words, everything was tied together electronically in order to work. So even if HUD isn't used for the night vision system, it's anybody's guess if it is possibly used to relay signals for it to work.

I scored a Cadillac Night vision system and HUD from a junkyard once to replicate the successful retrofit I saw, but unfortunately the camera was fried. = (
Old 05-26-2015, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
For the Audi system, the posts and theories that followed were that the Audi system communicates and looks for signals from many other on-board systems to complete the signal loop and enable proper operation. In other words, everything was tied together electronically in order to work. So even if HUD isn't used for the night vision system, it's anybody's guess if it is possibly used to relay signals for it to work.
Since the HUD does display a warning signal, it would be in the loop. The VAG COM is a process logic controller (PLC). The programming can be changed to delete/alter the other systems input signals to achieve the desired output signals. All you need is programming knowledge, secret codes to get into where you're not supposed to go and luck.