A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Can Adaptive Cruise Control be disabled?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can Adaptive Cruise Control be disabled?

Anyone know if there is a way to disable ACC in 2015 A7???
The following 2 users liked this post by kerlyb:
Bmitchq7 (08-03-2023), cagambler (07-30-2020)
Old 07-27-2016, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Not in the MMI permanently, just on the stalk. Why would you want to disable it? It's so much better than the old cruise control and front Presense with braking guard, a component of ACC, is an important safety feature.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not in the MMI permanently, just on the stalk. Why would you want to disable it? It's so much better than the old cruise control and front Presense with braking guard, a component of ACC, is an important safety feature.

Personal preference. I just find it way too intrusive for my type of driving. More than 90% of my driving is on the highway so I always use cruise control. It's annoying everytime a car passes you and then moves into your lane, only to have ACC engage the brake. It's really bad when I have to drive thru cities like Chicago where there are always drivers cutting in and out of lanes...ACC makes it seem like you're moving backwards sometimes. Then you **** off the drivers behind you who think you're riding the brake and pass you while giving you the finger. Also many a times I've spilt drinks on my lap because I wasn't expecting ACC to brake...like when a piece of plastic bag blew across the highway and it braked.

Yes I understand the presense brake guard is a safety feature just like lane departure and blind spot, which BTW can all be disabled in MMI, but why can't ACC be disabled too???
The following 3 users liked this post by kerlyb:
Bmitchq7 (08-03-2023), cagambler (07-30-2020), Paul Breaux (03-15-2020)
Old 07-27-2016, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If a vehicle begins to cross into your lane in front and you anticipate the ACC will start to activate the brakes, all you have to do is just lightly touch the gas pedal to temporarily disengage it and allow the car to fall back to the preset distance. Then remove your foot. After a bit of practice it becomes automatic without thinking about it.

Other than that, if you are in heavy traffic with lots of drivers cutting in and out and don't like ACC, just don't activate it. Simple solution.

FYI, a plastic bag blowing across the highway should not set off the ACC or brake guard. Only a followed moving vehicle can be recognized by the camera and sensors.

Last edited by snagitseven; 07-27-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes simple solutions that I have already been doing up to this point. Lightly touching the gas pedal which depending on your foot steadiness will either maintain speed or will very slowly accelerate the car. Also you can't use this technique if the car in front just moved into your lane and stays there as you can't continuously hold the pedal in that position. You'll eventually have to let go of the pedal at which point ACC engages.

Honestly a blowing plastic bag on the highway did trigger ACC. So will vehicles turning onto the road in front of me when they are way way down the road.

This is my first vehicle with ACC and so far I'm not happy with it. I won't order this feature in future cars...unless you can disable it. I've stopped using the cruise control for most of my driving because of the above incidents. Just wish there was a way to just disable ACC and use it as a simple cruise control. Can this be done with Vag Com???
The following users liked this post:
cagambler (07-30-2020)
Old 07-27-2016, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you reducing the distance for the ACC to 1? If so and cars are pulling into that too small space you should back off anyway. No automated system is going to allow you to drive that close together at high speed. Personally I love my ACC and will never buy another car without it. I've never had mine trigger for anything other than a vehicle. But my current car has the 1st gen ACC and maybe it behaves differently.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Are you reducing the distance for the ACC to 1? If so and cars are pulling into that too small space you should back off anyway. No automated system is going to allow you to drive that close together at high speed. Personally I love my ACC and will never buy another car without it. I've never had mine trigger for anything other than a vehicle. But my current car has the 1st gen ACC and maybe it behaves differently.
Not every option is for every situation. You don't watch Harry Potter movies and pretend the car drives itself. I just don't believe this was meant for your ride to where you are going. I like the radar cruise when you cannot pass and just lay back. On the highway, probably not the best choice. Regular cruise struggles here as well.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if it's only a function of 2016+ facelift cars, braking guard can be deactivated through MMI on my 2016 S7.
Attached Thumbnails Can Adaptive Cruise Control be disabled?-img_2144.jpg   Can Adaptive Cruise Control be disabled?-img_2143.jpg  
Old 07-27-2016, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BasicSlvr
Not sure if it's only a function of 2016+ facelift cars, braking guard can be deactivated through MMI on my 2016 S7.
That option has been available on all C7s since introduction in 2011. Though, honestly, I can't see why anyone would want to defeat that safety feature. Saved my bacon once when I was distracted for just a moment. It only has to work once to avoid an accident and more than pay for itself in damage and potential injury
Old 07-28-2016, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

All of Audi's other safety features you can toggle on/off...at least in my 2015. Don't understand the reasoning why you can't do the same with ACC. Looks like I'll have to live with it.

Quick Reply: Can Adaptive Cruise Control be disabled?