A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Can Adaptive Cruise Control be disabled?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kerlyb
All of Audi's other safety features you can toggle on/off...at least in my 2015. Don't understand the reasoning why you can't do the same with ACC. Looks like I'll have to live with it.
As I mentioned previously, if you don't find it useful in heavier traffic, leave it off. You wouldn't want to have the old school cruise control active in heavy traffic as a substitute to ACC - too dangerous in my opinion if you get distracted.

I find ACC is best when cruising in moderate or light traffic on the interstate. I choose the closest setting and "comfort" in the individual ADS ACC setting in the MMI and let it do its thing. And, as I wrote, in the occasional case of a car cutting too close into my lane, I try to anticipate it and use the gas pedal to "feather" back to the preset ACC distance interval without the brakes engaging.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The ACC isn’t smarter than I am.

I have had the ACC hit the brakes hard when I entered a school zone on a SUNDAY!! The ACC cannot anticipate what I am planning to do. Maybe inattentive drivers need it but I do not.
The following users liked this post:
cagambler (07-30-2020)
Old 09-23-2019, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Can Adaptive Cruise Contol be disabled?

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As I mentioned previously, if you don't find it useful in heavier traffic, leave it off. You wouldn't want to have the old school cruise control active in heavy traffic as a substitute to ACC - too dangerous in my opinion if you get distracted.

I find ACC is best when cruising in moderate or light traffic on the interstate. I choose the closest setting and "comfort" in the individual ADS ACC setting in the MMI and let it do its thing. And, as I wrote, in the occasional case of a car cutting too close into my lane, I try to anticipate it and use the gas pedal to "feather" back to the preset ACC distance interval without the brakes engaging.
When I am in the car it’s to drive not to talk on the phone or text. In your opinion “old school cruise control “ is dangerous and in my opinion ACC is a pain in my a$$.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bwoody:
Aviator6 (02-20-2022), Bmitchq7 (08-03-2023), cagambler (07-30-2020)
Old 09-23-2019, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

...and you are replying to a post from 2016...
Old 09-25-2019, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwoody
When I am in the car it’s to drive not to talk on the phone or text. In your opinion “old school cruise control “ is dangerous and in my opinion ACC is a pain in my a$$.
Thanks for replying to my post from 2016.

A. I never wrote anything about texting or using the phone while driving.

B. "Old school cruise control is dangerous" was only a reference to using in heavy traffic.

C. Don't like ACC? Don't use it.

D. Your opinion is certainly welcome as a brand new AudiWorld user.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default ACC

Never meant to insinuate you text and drive. My point is that old school CC is not dangerous if you pay attention when driving. I would like to use the CC without the adaptive feature but unfortunately you can’t.
Old 08-03-2023, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I TOTALLY agree with you. I just bought a 2017 A7 and the ACC is a pain. I too drive with cruise control the majority of the time on the highway. I'll for sure be finding someone who can disable it. Other than that, I absolutely love the car. But the ACC is a huge disappointment in that it can't be disabled to be able to use traditional CC. Even a Toyota Corolla allows drivers to switch from adaptive to traditional smh Luxury is supposed to be about options.