A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Cargo space???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cargo space???

Can someone tell me how long the cargo space is with the rear seats down? I'm in the early phases of deciding what to replace my car with when the lease is up in about five months. I may even try buying a car at the end of December to see if someone will make me a stupid-low deal.

At this point I'm trying to justify the added price of the A7 over the A6 and other vehicles I'm considering. I'm a very weak person with no backbone at all, so it won't take much to push me over the edge
Old 10-31-2014, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Because of it being a hatchback, it makes the cargo room plentiful and more useful than the A6. The A6 is deeper, but not as easy to get things in and out.

Best bet is just go to the dealer and compare the 2, as every one of em should have both on the lot.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Can someone tell me how long the cargo space is with the rear seats down? I'm in the early phases of deciding what to replace my car with when the lease is up in about five months. I may even try buying a car at the end of December to see if someone will make me a stupid-low deal.

At this point I'm trying to justify the added price of the A7 over the A6 and other vehicles I'm considering. I'm a very weak person with no backbone at all, so it won't take much to push me over the edge
If the end is on top of the dash that it touches the inside of the windshield, you can put in a 10' 8" long piece (with the rear seat down) and still close the hatch.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Glacier6
Because of it being a hatchback, it makes the cargo room plentiful and more useful than the A6. The A6 is deeper, but not as easy to get things in and out.

Best bet is just go to the dealer and compare the 2, as every one of em should have both on the lot.
Originally Posted by fkaufman
If the end is on top of the dash that it touches the inside of the windshield, you can put in a 10' 8" long piece (with the rear seat down) and still close the hatch.
I appreciate the responses. Any idea how long behind the front seats to the back? I'm a do it yourselfer and we had SUVs for quite a few year that my wife drove. I got her into sedans the past few years and miss not have my own Home Depot delivery vehicle. I'm just trying to justify the extra $10,000 by being able to haul stuff in it.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

The hatch area will let you put a 3'x6' board into it without running the seats all the way forward. Not a pickup truck, but pretty nice for a car. The area isn't real deep towards the back - but not bad. I own a printing company and it makes a great rapid delivery vehicle.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
I appreciate the responses. Any idea how long behind the front seats to the back? I'm a do it yourselfer and we had SUVs for quite a few year that my wife drove. I got her into sedans the past few years and miss not have my own Home Depot delivery vehicle. I'm just trying to justify the extra $10,000 by being able to haul stuff in it.
That would greatly depend on the position of the driver seat. I normally drive with the seat in its furthest back position with the back quite far reclining (giving absolute minimal space to a rear passenger). Recently I had to transport 4 sheets of plywood. A 4' x 8' sheet will not go in. I got them cut at the store lengthwise to 3' x 8' and 1' x 8' pieces and by moving the seat a bit forward it did fit in.

If you have something longer, you can let it stick out the back and move the hatch down, leaving it open. If you do that, you need to keep the hatch down with something, otherwise at every bump it moves up somewhat, until it ends up fully open.

With the back seats down, there is an amazing amount of space for boxes or bags. Additional space can be gained with moving the passenger seat forward all the way and moving the seatback all the way down (head restraint out).

Examples of what I have moved in the car in the past are a full size water heater in its box and a full set of cabinets, doors and fittings for a complete kitchen from Ikea (2 trips).

Last edited by fkaufman; 11-01-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by craignhp
The hatch area will let you put a 3'x6' board into it without running the seats all the way forward. Not a pickup truck, but pretty nice for a car. The area isn't real deep towards the back - but not bad. I own a printing company and it makes a great rapid delivery vehicle.
Originally Posted by fkaufman
That would greatly depend on the position of the driver seat. I normally drive with the seat in its furthest back position with the back quite far reclining (giving absolute minimal space to a rear passenger). Recently I had to transport 4 sheets of plywood. A 4' x 8' sheet will not go in. I got them cut at the store lengthwise to 3' x 8' and 1' x 8' pieces and by moving the seat a bit forward it did fit in.

If you have something longer, you can let it stick out the back and move the hatch down, leaving it open. If you do that, you need to keep the hatch down with something, otherwise at ever bump it moves up somewhat, until it ends up fully open.

With the back seats down, there is an amazing amount of space for boxes or bags. Additional space can be gained with moving the passenger seat forward all the way and moving the seatback all the way down (head restrain out).

Examples of what I have moved in the car in the past are a full size water heater in its box and a full set of cabinets, doors and fittings for a complete kitchen from Ikea (2 trips).
Great info...thanks.