A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Considering an A7

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 02:20 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Considering an A7

Hello all,

I currently have a 2012 S5 and love it, but need more space for kids. I'm not really keen on the S4, but I've always loved the look of the A7 design so I started looking around. Nearby is a 2012 A7 prestige model for sale that is pushing my buttons, but I figured it'd be prudent to get your thoughts on things I should consider. I know I will be losing ~40HP and adding some weight and adding additional conveniences.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!

Jim
Old 04-17-2016, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

I have an S5 Cab and an A7, similar vintage to yours. The A7 is the family car.
  • The A7 is much wider and longer. Not likely an issue in the US.
  • The A7 hatchback is very deep, but height is quite shallow for much of its length because of the slope of its roofline. Still, better storage than the S4, let alone the S5.
  • Most A7 (at least here in Europe, and in the model year you are quoting) are only configured for 2 rear passengers. This can be a real limitation, quite often.
  • You will notice the 40hp, the A7 will not be as keen to rev out as the S5. But it is still hardly a slow vehicle.
  • My A7 has S Line chassis/suspension (lowered 30mm) and sports diff - it handles well for its size although I find the steering numb. As you would expect, the A7 is much more comfortable on highways, but the S5 is more enjoyable on twisting roads.
  • The interior design and quality of the A7 is better. Mine came off the very first C7 production run, and I have had zero issues. It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. The S5 has not been as foolproof, but nothing too major.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:28 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Glisse
I have an S5 Cab and an A7, similar vintage to yours. The A7 is the family car.
Thanks, I appreciate your feedback! When we go places as a family (4 of us), we have to take the Honda Odyssey or Kia Soul. I think I'd sacrifice the extra performance for the few spirited drives to get a car I would get to drive a lot more without and with the family.

The A7 is much wider and longer. Not likely an issue in the US.
2.2" wider, 13.1" longer, and 6" longer wheelbase. I think (hope) that those differences wouldn't be too much

The A7 hatchback is very deep, but height is quite shallow for much of its length because of the slope of its roofline. Still, better storage than the S4, let alone the S5.
Twice the storage, which would be nice, for sure. The S5 has held everything I put it up to, even with two tires with the seats folded down. Definitely pushed the limit.

[*]Most A7 (at least here in Europe, and in the model year you are quoting) are only configured for 2 rear passengers. This can be a real limitation, quite often.
I've squeezed (literally) two teens in the back of the S5, but it wasn't comfortable for anyone.

You will notice the 40hp, the A7 will not be as keen to rev out as the S5. But it is still hardly a slow vehicle.
My A7 has S Line chassis/suspension (lowered 30mm) and sports diff - it handles well for its size although I find the steering numb. As you would expect, the A7 is much more comfortable on highways, but the S5 is more enjoyable on twisting roads.
This i would miss the most; at least on club drives up in the mountains.

The interior design and quality of the A7 is better. Mine came off the very first C7 production run, and I have had zero issues. It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. The S5 has not been as foolproof, but nothing too major.
I went and sat in it today, although not enough time to test drive it. I loved the look and feel of everything. I love the S5, but this seemed a tad up-scale to the S5. I told my wife, I still have a similar reaction to seeing the A7 as I do when i see S5. Both win in my book!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!
Old 04-18-2016, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Check the tread life of the tires and would ask to see maintenance records on the car
Old 04-18-2016, 07:02 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
Check the tread life of the tires and would ask to see maintenance records on the car
Yep, for sure!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I just moved from a 2015 S5 to a 2016 S7 and I can tell you that even though the S7 is heavier it really doesn't drive as big as it is. It is really nice to have the extra (lots!) space in the car and the interior is stunning.

I don't think you will regret the change....
Old 04-20-2016, 08:40 AM
Audi Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 19hole
I just moved from a 2015 S5 to a 2016 S7 and I can tell you that even though the S7 is heavier it really doesn't drive as big as it is. It is really nice to have the extra (lots!) space in the car and the interior is stunning.

I don't think you will regret the change....
Thanks for the feedback! With these comments in addition to my other research, I think I've made up my mind to switch. I wish I could afford a S7, but I think the A7 with at least a stage 1 tune should do the trick.

Thanks again
Old 04-29-2016, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just came from a mapped A5 3.0tdi to the A7 3.0tdi.
Again for space with twins.
A7 is huge compared to A5 but I'll say when driving hard on twists it def not a slouch and def not feel as big as it is.
I have the 3 seatbelts in rear but I know some onlg come 2+2.
Good boot and awesome cruiser.
Tbh i got my 245bhp model mapped 315bhp 630nm and pulls like a train.
I'd try for as high a spec as you can and I also have done a lot of vcds mods from on here which are very handy.

You'll not regret it I promise.

If you have a garage measure it as A7 nearlly 5m long.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:34 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shamus_mcd
I just came from a mapped A5 3.0tdi to the A7 3.0tdi.
Again for space with twins.
A7 is huge compared to A5 but I'll say when driving hard on twists it def not a slouch and def not feel as big as it is.
I have the 3 seatbelts in rear but I know some onlg come 2+2.
Good boot and awesome cruiser.
Tbh i got my 245bhp model mapped 315bhp 630nm and pulls like a train.
I'd try for as high a spec as you can and I also have done a lot of vcds mods from on here which are very handy.

You'll not regret it I promise.

If you have a garage measure it as A7 nearlly 5m long.
Thanks! Still looking but want to do so. Thinking at least a prestige with sport package as the minimum. My wife gets the garage, so no problem there.. lol

Old 05-09-2016, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't know how much more space you really need, but an A6 is larger in the back seat than the A7.

Quick Reply: Considering an A7