A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Couldn't believe my eyes A7 without spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couldn't believe my eyes A7 without spoiler

I've been in Spain for nearly a week. While in Madrid in a tour bus so a few feet higher than normal, I spotted a silver A7 parked in front and though I recognized the shape could only see the left rear quarter panel, abbreviated hatch and a spoiler lip on the trunk but no actual retractable spoiler. Couldn't see any of the model badges though. I was aware that there was a 4 door version of the A5, but assumed that it was the usual A5 profile. The next day, saw another similarly shaped "A7" but as it drove by it was badged "A5". Today, about a week later, while in Sevilla, I googled 4 door A5 Spain and only found the usual 2 door A5. When I looked for 5 door version, one of the results was a 2016 A5 Sportback. When I checked the link, the mystery was solved. Don't think it will ever show up in the states, but I was stumped when I first saw it. Of course it doesn't have the expansive trunk/boot that ours has, and wondering if the rationale for the mini 7 is marketing/sales for other markets given the price differential. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-05-2016, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

The next gen A5 sportback will come to the US.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
The next gen A5 sportback will come to the US.
That'd be great as not a lover of the US A5 shape. The new TT is a somewhat nicer car that the old "bubble" TT and the Sportback would be a major improvement in my eye's view which clearly differs from many others I'm certain😉
Old 05-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i was driving my A7 in europe, it was very rare on the streets, in Italy some people was making photo with my car. Actually i was wondered, what's so special in A7, but my friend explained me situation: very expensive yearly tax for a full sized car, very hard to find parking spot in the city, very expensive fuel and if you're not very mature adult, guardia di finanza (something like justice department) will have too much questions to you. According to the fact that A7 in EU is much more expensive then in US or RU, and income after paying all taxes 1000-1500eur a month is GOOD for spain or europe, buying A7 is affordable by not too many people. And honestly with small european streets, parking lots and very expensive fuel (gallon of super is about 8 dollars) buying car with displacement more then milk bottle is for rich guys ) So C7 platform more oriented for export sales and there is alot of audi models that are not reaching USDM, like A4 2.0 TDI quattro avant ) Best for a buck with 5liters per 100km DIESEL (that is 20-30% cheaper than gasoline in europe) consumption.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stan77
When i was driving my A7 in europe, it was very rare on the streets, in Italy some people was making photo with my car. Actually i was wondered, what's so special in A7, but my friend explained me situation: very expensive yearly tax for a full sized car, very hard to find parking spot in the city, very expensive fuel and if you're not very mature adult, guardia di finanza (something like justice department) will have too much questions to you. According to the fact that A7 in EU is much more expensive then in US or RU, and income after paying all taxes 1000-1500eur a month is GOOD for spain or europe, buying A7 is affordable by not too many people. And honestly with small european streets, parking lots and very expensive fuel (gallon of super is about 8 dollars) buying car with displacement more then milk bottle is for rich guys ) So C7 platform more oriented for export sales and there is alot of audi models that are not reaching USDM, like A4 2.0 TDI quattro avant ) Best for a buck with 5liters per 100km DIESEL (that is 20-30% cheaper than gasoline in europe) consumption.
oh wow. rich tax lol
Old 05-06-2016, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

The A5 Sportback was released before the A7, just never brought to the US.

As Stan77 noted, the size of the A7 is an issue in typical European settings - my wife hates driving and parking ours vs the S5 she normally drives. The smaller size, and lower cost, of the A5 Sportback means you will see far more of these throughout Europe versus the A7.