A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

First test drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default First test drive

Long story short, I've had my eye on an A7 for quite a while. Being a cash-only guy, I've been saving up and plan on pulling the trigger sometime next year. As you might imagine, I've come up with some pretty creative ways to keep my motivation up - hanging out on this forum being one of the foremost.

This week I treated myself to a birthday present and indulged in a test drive. I've got to say that even with all the reviews, photos, posts and other third-party sources of information as I've consumed over the past couple of years, none of that could even remotely prepare me for the experience of actually getting behind the wheel. The smoothness, the handling, the effortless power, the luxurious interior - the whole package. Just, wow... My expectations were admittedly pretty high, but the reality blew them all away.

And, as expected, my resolve is stronger than ever. Man, I love my dog, but if selling him on eBay would knock a month or two off the wait time... ;-)

Can't wait to officially join the A7 club and post pics of the new toy sitting in my driveway!
Old 03-13-2015, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcoble33
Long story short, I've had my eye on an A7 for quite a while. Being a cash-only guy, I've been saving up and plan on pulling the trigger sometime next year. As you might imagine, I've come up with some pretty creative ways to keep my motivation up - hanging out on this forum being one of the foremost.

This week I treated myself to a birthday present and indulged in a test drive. I've got to say that even with all the reviews, photos, posts and other third-party sources of information as I've consumed over the past couple of years, none of that could even remotely prepare me for the experience of actually getting behind the wheel. The smoothness, the handling, the effortless power, the luxurious interior - the whole package. Just, wow... My expectations were admittedly pretty high, but the reality blew them all away.

And, as expected, my resolve is stronger than ever. Man, I love my dog, but if selling him on eBay would knock a month or two off the wait time... ;-)

Can't wait to officially join the A7 club and post pics of the new toy sitting in my driveway!
What kind of dog is he?😀

I've owned a hell of a lot of cars, and just came out of a BMW 550 and I can tell you the A7 drives better than that car.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
What kind of dog is he?😀

I've owned a hell of a lot of cars, and just came out of a BMW 550 and I can tell you the A7 drives better than that car.
Ha, I am glad you said that! I have a 2013 Lexus GS F-sport as you already know and I am getting the 2016 Audi A7 next week loaded with the sports 20 inch package (all seasons tires) for comfortable ride vs the performance on the 2015 and prior models. I cannot wait! I had the 2011 BMW 5 and heck its a lousy car handling and excitement wise compared to the GS or the A7 so I am looking forward to this car. To tcoble33, I am happy to hear the good words!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What kind of dog is he?😀

Heh, his name is Gus and he's a Bernese Mountain Dog. He apparently didn't appreciate the joke.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2015, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Ha, I am glad you said that! I have a 2013 Lexus GS F-sport as you already know and I am getting the 2016 Audi A7 next week loaded with the sports 20 inch package (all seasons tires) for comfortable ride vs the performance on the 2015 and prior models. I cannot wait! I had the 2011 BMW 5 and heck its a lousy car handling and excitement wise compared to the GS or the A7 so I am looking forward to this car. To tcoble33, I am happy to hear the good words!
Yes, I saw your post on the Lexus forum. So many Audi converts these days! Congrats!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, I saw your post on the Lexus forum. So many Audi converts these days! Congrats!
Thanks! I am so happy with the decision, Yes, the GS F-Sport was an awesome car and I will never forget it but this A7 is a different league.
Attached Images     
Old 03-24-2015, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What kind of dog is he?😀

With the new 2016 A7 and all season continental tires on the 20 inch rims, the A7 is so much smoother and compliant over the jiggly bad roads and rippling highways around Michigan compared to the GS or other cars especially the 2012 BMW 5 I had which would vibrate like crazy on unsettling highways. Ive noticed that the older 2012-2015 A7 came with crappy goodyears or yokohamas that made the ride insufferable with the 20 inch package like yours and result in jiggly ride on uneven surface. Maybe checkout the new continentals.

Here are the tires that will make the A7 ride better then the GS.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=ProContact+TX
Old 03-25-2015, 03:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make sure to take the tire and road hazard warranty

I have a 2015 A7 with the 20" sport conti tires. Currently I have replaced tires 5 times on this car (no exaggeration), and still have less than 5K miles. They do run great, but the slightest pot hole or curb rub will either bubble or totally deflate as the low profile tire comes off the rim and air is lost. A little good news is that they are so low profile that you can drive on them flat and the rims are protected. 5 tires, but no damage to any of he wheels.

I did not have the warranty, but have been lucky:
1st tire was replaced by the dealer under warranty (service manager later fired for this)
2nd and 3rd tire paid by insurance as I slid on ice into the curb.
4th tire paid for by me and purchased from tire rack
5th tire replaced the 4th and was completely covered by tire rack thru their NC included road hazard coverage.

Im happy to answer any questions that you guys may have.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by maxcap
I have a 2015 A7 with the 20" sport conti tires. Currently I have replaced tires 5 times on this car (no exaggeration), and still have less than 5K miles. They do run great, but the slightest pot hole or curb rub will either bubble or totally deflate as the low profile tire comes off the rim and air is lost. A little good news is that they are so low profile that you can drive on them flat and the rims are protected. 5 tires, but no damage to any of he wheels.

I did not have the warranty, but have been lucky:
1st tire was replaced by the dealer under warranty (service manager later fired for this)
2nd and 3rd tire paid by insurance as I slid on ice into the curb.
4th tire paid for by me and purchased from tire rack
5th tire replaced the 4th and was completely covered by tire rack thru their NC included road hazard coverage.

Im happy to answer any questions that you guys may have.

No issues here with pot holes or the tires. I had many low profile tires and rims and do 17k miles a year and never bent or damage tire ever and we live in crappy road Michigan. Its a matter of looking at the pot holes on the roads and drive around them and the curbs. From my experience its not the tire or rim or how low profile they are but the driver. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
No issues here with pot holes or the tires. I had many low profile tires and rims and do 17k miles a year and never bent or damage tire ever and we live in crappy road Michigan. Its a matter of looking at the pot holes on the roads and drive around them and the curbs. From my experience its not the tire or rim or how low profile they are but the driver. Correct me if I am wrong.
You may be fortunate to live in a light traffic area. In my neck of the woods the traffic is heavy and the damn potholes are huge and deep. There is no way to drive around them when there is a car on your left, a curb on your right and the gap in the pavement is 6' wide!

Quick Reply: First test drive