A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Lane assist retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think any optional steering features are needed. On A7 electromechanical steering with servotronic function is standard equipment that is controlled by Power Steering Control Module J500.

Power Steering Control Module J500
– Activates the electromechanical steering motor according to specifi cations of J851,
generating required system steering torque and a vibration warning
– Evaluates Steering Torque Sensor G269 and forwards the value to Imaging Processing
Control Module J851 Image Processing Control Module J851
– Incorporates Audi active lane assist software, which is integrated into this module
– Transmits the required system steering torque to Power Steering Control Module J500 and, if required, requests a vibration alarm.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:30 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Actually, I believe Audi defines the "Dynamic Steering" feature as one whereby the steering ratio changes with speed. The U.S. C7 A6/A7 does not have this tech, only variable steering effort which all Audis have these days. Interestingly, the B8 platform offers this option.
Wow. You're absolutely right. That is odd that you can get it on a Standard B8 but not a fully loaded C7 unless you want to upgrade to an S model. I guess because Active Lane Assist can be equipped on the car with either option (QZ7 or 1N8) thats one less part that needs to be retrofitted.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I appreciate that several here would like to make this work on cars not so equipped. But, as I've mentioned before, I suspect trying to figure out the coding after buying the hardware, it will continue to be a useless exercise after four years of Vagcom experts failing to do so. Good luck though and as Mel Brooks said in Spaceballs the movie, "may the Schwartz be with you".

UPDATE:
Apparently, the Schwartz was present for at least two of our members who have successfully figured out the coding (and needed hardware) for the lane assist mod. See link below.

Last edited by snagitseven; 11-02-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Club AutoUnion

Default Retrofit Successfully Completed

See DIY below.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24738545
Old 11-02-2015, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW this thread had a long history. I feel grateful I was able to contribute to its conclusion, and thankful for every single person that posted which helped lead us all closer to the solution. This is a true example of a brain trust/brainstorming session with successful results, albeit long awaited.

Originally Posted by Astropin
So the title of this thread says "-done". But it's clearly not done, so maybe we should remove the word "done" from the title until it is done?
Great point. But this apparently is no longer true. So GLAD to report this is actually "DONE".

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Good point. Title changed.
So can we un-change and re-revise title to include "Done"?

FYI,
I'm LOVING the MOD! Thank You Mrclopec!

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
++
Add me to the pool of interested parties. If it helps to buy components in bulk let me know I'm all-in. Part numbers would be helpful to make sure us less experienced Audi owners get the right part.
But doesn't seem anyone has successfully completed this mod just yet if I've read these posts correctly.
No longer interested, but now very very satisfied! Inexpensive mod for cars with ACC it seems.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...rofit-2890924/

But a little more expensive and complicated if no ACC present.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-done-2886241/

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 11-02-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have also retrofitted ALA with success and have the ACC option. If you have an early A7 it might require SW updates and in some cases HW replacement.

My A7 is model 2011 and required replacement of the Video module (8E) to a newer, both HW & SW was outdated. I also needed to update the SW in the Camera (85).

Nice feature!
Old 12-01-2015, 06:05 AM
Clo
Audiworld Junior Member

So how well does the lane assist work? During highway driving do you have steer or will it keep you straight? How about around turns?

I have a 2012 A7 with ACC but no lane assist and would love to get it working... Would a decent mechanic be able to work through it? Or would the person have to be more comfortable with Audis?
Old 12-01-2015, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Clo
So how well does the lane assist work? During highway driving do you have steer or will it keep you straight? How about around turns?

I have a 2012 A7 with ACC but no lane assist and would love to get it working... Would a decent mechanic be able to work through it? Or would the person have to be more comfortable with Audis?
I can only speak to my experience with it on my car thus far. How well it works depends on your expectation of the system. Some think it's crude and regret buying this option, while others enjoy the technology and understand where the system shines and where it's limitations are.

On highway keeping you straight question tells me you have misunderstanding of system already. It's not designed to drive the car for you, it's designed to keep you from crossing over into another lane if you get distracted and accidentally cause the car to start veering into next lane.

For turns, it's a gentle correction so a sharp turn may sometimes not be recognized or not enough time to correct, but subtle turns the system has steered itself with my hands on wheel letting it do it's thing.

Any mechanic could do hardware replacement of steering column switch. But VagCom definitely not unless they specialized.

Hope that helps. Just my honest opinion.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
I can only speak to my experience with it on my car thus far. How well it works depends on your expectation of the system. Some think it's crude and regret buying this option, while others enjoy the technology and understand where the system shines and where it's limitations are.

On highway keeping you straight question tells me you have misunderstanding of system already. It's not designed to drive the car for you, it's designed to keep you from crossing over into another lane if you get distracted and accidentally cause the car to start veering into next lane.

For turns, it's a gentle correction so a sharp turn may sometimes not be recognized or not enough time to correct, but subtle turns the system has steered itself with my hands on wheel letting it do it's thing.

Any mechanic could do hardware replacement of steering column switch. But VagCom definitely not unless they specialized.

Hope that helps. Just my honest opinion.
+1
Old 04-07-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So I finally completed this mod this week. I have a 2012 A7 with the Prestige and Technology packages, which gives me ACC and the HUD.

I bought the new control unit for about $350 and had an independent shop install it for $150. The airbag scared me a bit and my dealer wouldn't do it.

The reprogramming worked flawlessly. One catch for me was making sure the car was ON but not RUNNING. You'll get en error when coding if the engine is running.

As far as the HUD, I tried following the directions here. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24745684 but I was not able to change any of the Adaptions. It turns out they weren't needed. I just went to the HUD Module and went to Byte 0, Bit 2 and checked it and that made it work.

The system works great. The wheel just doesn't vibrate, it actually nudges the car back toward the center of the lane.

I appreciate all the helpful posts by people on this and was glad to add this feature to the car.

Quick Reply: Lane assist retrofit