A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

MAJOR issue with Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 11:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAJOR issue with Dealer

So im just pointing out some shady stuff the BMW of El Paso did to a close friend of mine in the hopes that it may help others prevent this sort of problem from happening to them.

So it all starts when my buddies 09' e92 M3 threw some engine codes about a year before the warranty was up, he took it in, the dealership said they diagnosed it and nothing was wrong gave it back to him,

1 year later right after warranty expires car throws same engine code so we get online, the bmw forums all are saying its a throttle position sensor which causes the car to go into limp mode when code is thrown. friend takes it to dealership says this is the same problem it should have been fixed under warranty when it originally happened they say they will run their "diagnostic test" test on the car. They call him later that day and state that it just needs a new battery and they went ahead and replaced it, and that he would be charged 500$ for a battery.

Gets car back drives home normal, about 6 hours go by he tries to start car and it throws the same code again, and wont turn over basically the "new" battery dies in driveway during the day. BMW EP now has to tow car back, sits at bmw for 1 week while they re-diagnose it, They deem the battery "faulty" and suggest he buy a trickle charger, lol, a tactic to fool consumers into spending money with the dealer they don't need to spend. He is furious at this point, they replace the battery, he drives off only to have the car throw the codes again and go into limp mode.

Buddy returns car to BMW el paso 4 days later since him and myself both work 3 hours from El Paso and are not near the city, dealer takes car again and this time have it for a MONTH and finally call him to tell him it is the throttle position sensor!! WOW what do ya know? they replace the part to the tune of 1500$, and he gets the car back today with over 500 MORE MILES on the odometer from when he dropped it off his instant MPG was also the lowest it has ever been meaning to both of us that they drove the living poop out of his car for those miles, it even states it in the paperwork where the odometer was 500 miles less when he left it in their care. So at this point he is considering a lawsuit with the dealership, for at a minimum, diminished value on the car/wear and tear/possible future issues they may have caused, if all of what he payed them for the bs service and work they performed is not refunded. I was curious what some of you here think of the situation??
Old 01-13-2016, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Really bad on the dealers part, but after the first return to them it should have been time to find another dealer.....
Old 01-13-2016, 03:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 19hole
Really bad on the dealers part, but after the first return to them it should have been time to find another dealer.....
he probably would have if there was another option but that dealer is the only one in El Paso, the nearest dealership is 270 miles away in Albuquerque
Old 01-13-2016, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by blackalak
So im just pointing out some shady stuff the BMW of El Paso did to a close friend of mine in the hopes that it may help others prevent this sort of problem from happening to them.

So it all starts when my buddies 09' e92 M3 threw some engine codes about a year before the warranty was up, he took it in, the dealership said they diagnosed it and nothing was wrong gave it back to him,

1 year later right after warranty expires car throws same engine code so we get online, the bmw forums all are saying its a throttle position sensor which causes the car to go into limp mode when code is thrown. friend takes it to dealership says this is the same problem it should have been fixed under warranty when it originally happened they say they will run their "diagnostic test" test on the car. They call him later that day and state that it just needs a new battery and they went ahead and replaced it, and that he would be charged 500$ for a battery.

Gets car back drives home normal, about 6 hours go by he tries to start car and it throws the same code again, and wont turn over basically the "new" battery dies in driveway during the day. BMW EP now has to tow car back, sits at bmw for 1 week while they re-diagnose it, They deem the battery "faulty" and suggest he buy a trickle charger, lol, a tactic to fool consumers into spending money with the dealer they don't need to spend. He is furious at this point, they replace the battery, he drives off only to have the car throw the codes again and go into limp mode.

Buddy returns car to BMW el paso 4 days later since him and myself both work 3 hours from El Paso and are not near the city, dealer takes car again and this time have it for a MONTH and finally call him to tell him it is the throttle position sensor!! WOW what do ya know? they replace the part to the tune of 1500$, and he gets the car back today with over 500 MORE MILES on the odometer from when he dropped it off his instant MPG was also the lowest it has ever been meaning to both of us that they drove the living poop out of his car for those miles, it even states it in the paperwork where the odometer was 500 miles less when he left it in their care. So at this point he is considering a lawsuit with the dealership, for at a minimum, diminished value on the car/wear and tear/possible future issues they may have caused, if all of what he payed them for the bs service and work they performed is not refunded. I was curious what some of you here think of the situation??
It should have been covered under warranty if he has paperwork showing that he came in for the same code while under warranty. At the very least they should have called BMW for some good will parts and labor reduction in cost.

I'd call BMW and complain as they may offer at least good will.

I've not had a good experience with BMW and dealer probems- Dreyer and Reinbold Greenwood Indiana brought my 335 convertible back to me unwashed and looking like a golf ball. They had had a hail storm but said that my car wasn't damaged. I called BMW and they basically said sorry about your luck- each BMW dealership is individually owned. The Service manager and general manager at D&R wouldn't call me back. They did finally get their insurance to pay for paintless dent repair but it was a hassle.

Last edited by mjfloyd1; 01-13-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Why is this posted here?
Old 01-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jesse1983
Why is this posted here?
because im an avid contributor to this forum, and I was asking here on a friends behalf, ntm I own an audi...smh its a true story man it could happen at any dealer be it bmw audi ford etc.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To play the devil's advocate .... it would be interesting to hear the dealership's version. As mentioned above .... if your friend has past receipts, dealership visits, etc. This should be an easy situation for the dealership to come through and take of this. Even if your friend does not have paperwork ... the dealership should have everything based on the vin.

In the past ... I owned a 996TT. I took in 5 times for a CEL. They told me it was fixed ... drove it 5 miles and the CEL came back on. This happened 5 times. They also placed at least a 100 miles on it trying to get the CEL to re-appear.

I finally got fed up and traded it in for a new 997 cab.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The thread might have been better served if the title had been "Major Issue with a BMW Dealer".