A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Much Cheaper option to Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want the cheapest option go with Simple Mobile. They have a 750mb monthly data plan for only $25 and there is no 2 yr contract like with tmobile. So you can pay month to month and if the price drops or you change your mind you just cancel your service. Simple Mobile uses Tmobile's network so you will get 3G service:

http://www.mysimplemobile.com/plans-...and-plans.aspx
Old 12-13-2011, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just ordered my SIM from TRU-PHONE and will report back on how this works for me on the A7. Most of the MAPs are already cached in the GPS memory so I expect to use just the Online Google Search function once in a while. A couple of dollars a month seems a fair price for the seldom used function.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

This should be interesting
Old 12-16-2011, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just let my Audi Connect plan lapse -- I liked it, but I'd pay at most $10/month for this feature. It should have been done through tethering anyway...

I have another idea I will try next year -- using a SIM from a 3G iPad. I want to put the AT&T iPad micro-SIM into an adapter and see if that would work with the A7. Then I could swap it back and forth as needed.

Had anyone else tried this?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by muski
I just let my Audi Connect plan lapse -- I liked it, but I'd pay at most $10/month for this feature. It should have been done through tethering anyway...

I have another idea I will try next year -- using a SIM from a 3G iPad. I want to put the AT&T iPad micro-SIM into an adapter and see if that would work with the A7. Then I could swap it back and forth as needed.

Had anyone else tried this?
It should work, but you will only get EDGE (2g) performance, as the t-mo 3g frequencies are not used by AT&T.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

JerryS4 and sgroer

I recently ordered the TruSIM and received it a couple of days ago. Having issues getting anything to work and am looking for some guidance with either or both of you based upon your experience in switching from the t-Mobile Audi Supplied SIM and the TruSIM.
[LIST]
  • So I started with taking out the old sim and inserting the new SIM.
  • Went to the Data Setup field in the Settings section of the Phone menu from the MMI
  • Changed the API setting to "truphone.com" as indicated in their instructions.
  • Left User Name and Password blank
  • Selected "Enable Data Roaming"
  • I see t-mobile as the provider when I select the data status screen and what looks like a roaming triangle. Went back to Navigation and tried to search for an Online Destination like "Hotel" and it provided an error of cannot connect to Data Service.

Is there anything I need to do to reset the Data connection to start over with the new SIM?
I have disabled the data connect and re-enabled to no avail.

HELP!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had no luck getting it to work either. I seems that the A7 is "Locked" to other carriers. Tru cannot help as it is up to Audi.

I called Audi Connect and voiced my concerns that they are married to a carrier that wants too much for a service that is barely needed. (Some think that T-Mobile will go bankrupt now that AT&T was forced to not buy them). Audi noted my comments and will escalate up to management as I indicated that this Audi forum and others are following theses developments. I urge others to call as well and ask Audi to open up the system to other options.

I also called T-Mobile to voice my displeasure of their pricing plan and asked for something in the $10/month range since many of us already have one or two or more other data plans already and do not need yet another one. I urge others to call as well and ask T-Mobile to offer more options like pay as you go for the Audi Connect plan.

If enough of us make a stink about this messed up marketing plan, they may give us more options. For now, I guess I am without a data plan in the A7.

Update: Got a call back from Audi Connect and they definitely will have their technical guy talk to me after the Holidays as they are now listening. Keep the pressure on them with your calls please.

Last edited by JerryS4; 12-22-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

JerryS4

Thanks for reporting your findings as well. What's interesting is that sgroer got it to work and they appear to be U.S. bassed as well so I think its something that we are doing incorrectly in our setup. Also when the TruSIM was inserted the wireless info screen listed (at least on mine) that I was using the "T-Mobile" network.

Hopefully others (like sgroer) can and will respond as to their findings as well. AudiUSA should have included services for the life of the warranty for the AudiConnect feature.

Dean T Rose
Old 12-22-2011, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally agree with the sentiments here. If you add in the sirius fees, the monthly charge gets interesting. Audi should be bundling the charges in the warranty given the price of the automobile.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys... It's most definitely working in my car... Weird that you are having trouble. Unfortunatley I'm away from the car for the holidays but will post my settings when i get back. I doubt this is an A6 vs. A7 thing. It was basically - plug in, change the apn, up and running.

Again... I'll check when i am with the car again on Wednesday of next week.

Sorry for the delay!

Sean

Quick Reply: Much Cheaper option to Audi Connect