A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Much Cheaper option to Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pay Sirius $3.99/month for just traffic. If you don't drive around a large city on a daily basis, what you can get on your smartphone is good enough. All these live traffic reports all feed off of a handful of data providers so the data is likely very similar. And none of them report traffic way out in the rural areas, do they? I just like having it integrated for a pretty low price.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Understood & would agree I suppose (for "big" cities) BUT my travels took me through Baltimore, D.C., Knoxville, Atlanta, & Birmingham. Baltimore & D.C. in particular (I HATE travelling through both!) had plenty to report but none were of any value. Accidents reported were long gone, "stop & go" traffic was noted by just looking through the windshield. In one case traffic was detoured off the expressway entirely for blasting & the GPS kept trying to get me back on a closed expressway. Traffic report for this was non existent. $3.99/month isn't a problem but SOMETHING in return is expected.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by carljones11
Understood & would agree I suppose (for "big" cities) BUT my travels took me through Baltimore, D.C., Knoxville, Atlanta, & Birmingham. Baltimore & D.C. in particular (I HATE travelling through both!) had plenty to report but none were of any value. Accidents reported were long gone, "stop & go" traffic was noted by just looking through the windshield. In one case traffic was detoured off the expressway entirely for blasting & the GPS kept trying to get me back on a closed expressway. Traffic report for this was non existent. $3.99/month isn't a problem but SOMETHING in return is expected.
Agreed. When Sirius traffic was on, it was much inferior to Google Maps traffic on my smartphone. Hard to justify the Sirius charge for such a poor product (as well as for the poor audio quality of the sat radio feeds).
Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Tru Phone

OK first let me say I live in Sacramento CA (not a major metro area like NYC or LA). Question: does anyones Sim go into 2G, when they enter a rural area? Thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Wouldn't surprise me at all. T-mobile's network is city focused - in rural areas, 2G is all you get.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MacA7
OK first let me say I live in Sacramento CA (not a major metro area like NYC or LA). Question: does anyones Sim go into 2G, when they enter a rural area? Thanks
Yes and often.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone want to weigh in on how the T Mobile alternative is doing so far?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

So far it has cost me $15 since November and I have not missed the audi connect at all. My son even used the hotspot the other day to play scramble, and it cost me $.19.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by das2.7t
Agreed. When Sirius traffic was on, it was much inferior to Google Maps traffic on my smartphone. Hard to justify the Sirius charge for such a poor product (as well as for the poor audio quality of the sat radio feeds).
Goggle traffic is very good. I wish the A7 would use it as the source instead of Sirius.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just received mine in the mail today, activated it on the web, 15 minutes or so later replaced the T-Mobile with the Truphone SIM, set the address to TruPhone.com. Connected and working.

Quick Reply: Much Cheaper option to Audi Connect