A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

New a7 owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New a7 owner questions

Bought a 2014 a7 that was a theft recovery. I have purchased most of the parts needed. Still have to get a few things. My first question is regarding the information screen. The original one was stolen and they cut the harness going to the screen. The new screen came with part of the harness so I had to wire it together. Got everything hooked up today and the screen folds in and out but it doesn't come on. Any recommendations? All wire colors match. The harness had a metal wound protective sheathing to protect the wires while moving in and out. Does the metal outer sheathing work as a ground also? Just trying to figure out if I got a faulty screen or if something else is wrong. Also I don't have my rear view mirror hooked up yet and didn't know if that tied into the information screen in any way that may not be completeing the circuit? Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure I'm gonna have more questions in the future. Here is a pic of the car before any mods. The second pic is what i plan on it looking like when finished. Thx in advance.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats and welcome to the club! Unfortunately I can't help you with your problem but would love to see it during/after planned mods
Old 10-07-2016, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Tinbad
Congrats and welcome to the club! Unfortunately I can't help you with your problem but would love to see it during/after planned mods
Thx!!!
Old 10-08-2016, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostedbrad
The harness had a metal wound protective sheathing to protect the wires while moving in and out. Does the metal outer sheathing work as a ground also? Just trying to figure out if I got a faulty screen or if something else is wrong.
The outer sheathing may be used as a ground connection. I do know it usually is used to attenuate stray magnetic fields that would corrupt the data. Either way it should be connected.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tenspeed
The outer sheathing may be used as a ground connection. I do know it usually is used to attenuate stray magnetic fields that would corrupt the data. Either way it should be connected.
That's my problem. The cable was cut so all the wires will have to be soldered together. What to do about the wire wounded sheathing? Thought about replacing the harness but it looks like it is part of the main dash harness or goes way up inside. Any help would be appreciated. Thx!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's my problem. The cable was cut so all the wires will have to be soldered together. What to do about the wire wounded sheathing?
I have worked with two types of sheathing. One is the woven wire mesh which is a bear to remove and the other is a metal foil sometimes with a current carrying conductor and some with a nylon or paper tape.

Solder your wires together, insulate the joints and wrap the open area with aluminum foil with a tight layer of electrical tape holding it all together. Overlap the foil at both ends over the sheath to assure electrical continuity. You could also add a small gauge bare copper wire if you wish.

Most likely, the sheath on your cable attenuates stray magnetic fields from nearby current carrying conductors which would result in the video equivalent of static.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I have worked with two types of sheathing. One is the woven wire mesh which is a bear to remove and the other is a metal foil sometimes with a current carrying conductor and some with a nylon or paper tape.

Solder your wires together, insulate the joints and wrap the open area with aluminum foil with a tight layer of electrical tape holding it all together. Overlap the foil at both ends over the sheath to assure electrical continuity. You could also add a small gauge bare copper wire if you wish.

Most likely, the sheath on your cable attenuates stray magnetic fields from nearby current carrying conductors which would result in the video equivalent of static.

Thank you very much. I will try that.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Pic of my a7 with the wheels added. Just gotta put the front fender on, lower rocker, and find an rs7 style bumper cover. Has anyone ever used the stone carbon rs7 style bumper covers on eBay? Was wondering about fit and quality.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Has anyone ever used the stone carbon rs7 style bumper covers on eBay? Was wondering about fit and quality.
I heard some folks commenting on a RS7 kit from this site.
AUDI - XENONZ UK

There's one or two that have an eBay kit on Audizine.com