A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

OptiCoat over PPF

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OptiCoat over PPF

I know OptiCoat can be applied over top of Xpel but does anyone know for certain if OptiCoat can be applied over Avery Dennison Nano-Fusion?

If OptiCoat can't be applied over Nano-Fusion PPF, anyone have experience with having the OptiCoat applied just to the exposed paint? I'll be getting a full front clip in the Nano-Fusion but want the remainder of the paint to be protected.

I've had Xpel before and loved it but I think I'm going to go with the Nano-Fusion given that it seems to perform equally well as the Xpel, sometimes better, and it tends to have a glossier appearance.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Keep in mind Xpel Ultimate is the only film on the market that has the self healing properties and a clearcoat top layer, same as your paint. Plus you are correct, OptiCoat, OptiCoat Pro or OptiCoat Pro Plus can be applied over Xpel Ultimate (I have both Xpel Ultimate and OptiCoat Pro applied over the entire car and wheels). I can't speak to OptiCoat over the Nano-Fusion but I'm guessing you can.

My Xpel Ultimate is on the full front and I can't tell the difference in clarity to areas not covered. It's virtually transparent when applied and wax or one of the paint treatments like OpticCoat will provide the shine, same as painted surfaces without film.

Last edited by snagitseven; 05-26-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Keep in mind Xpel Ultimate is the only film on the market that has the self healing properties and a clearcoat top layer, same as your paint. Plus you are correct, OptiCoat, OptiCoat Pro or OptiCoat Pro Plus can be applied over Xpel Ultimate (I have both Xpel Ultimate and OptiCoat Pro applied over the entire car and wheels). I can't speak to OptiCoat over the Nano-Fusion but I'm guessing you can.

My Xpel Ultimate is on the full front and I can't tell the difference in clarity to areas not covered. It's virtually transparent when applied and wax or one of the paint treatments like OpticCoat will provide the shine, same as painted surfaces without film.
I've had the Xpel before but went ahead and got the Nano Fusion last week. I'm really happy I went with the Nano and I feel it looks better than the Xpel we have on the two other cars. The Nano has a much glossier appearance and even though not advertised as such, does seem to have some self-healing properties. Also, I believe it's a bit tougher than the Xpel so my hope is that it stays better looking over the long-run. And for anyone curious, it's confirmed with Opti-Coat that their product can go over top of Nano Fusion PPF.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I would think if the Nano had self healing properties like the Ultimate, they would want to market that if for no other reason than to compete with the Xpel Ultimate (the only one of their films that has this property). As to being "tougher", I would like to se some data on that, especially with the self healing design. (Which version of Xpel did you have in the past? They make several versions). Also, does Nano mention that they use a top clearcoat layer on their film? I'm sure the Nano is a fine product but the Ultimate does have features not found in other films.

As to the glossiness, that's probably more dictated by the Opti-Coat. Which version of Opti-Coat did you get? The DIY standard version, Opt-Coat Pro or the new Opti-Coat Pro Plus?
Old 06-04-2015, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would think if the Nano had self healing properties like the Ultimate, they would want to market that if for no other reason than to compete with the Xpel Ultimate (the only one of their films that has this property). As to being "tougher", I would like to se some data on that, especially with the self healing design. (Which version of Xpel did you have in the past? They make several versions). Also, does Nano mention that they use a top clearcoat layer on their film? I'm sure the Nano is a fine product but the Ultimate does have features not found in other films.

As to the glossiness, that's probably more dictated by the Opti-Coat. Which version of Opti-Coat did you get? The DIY standard version, Opt-Coat Pro or the new Opti-Coat Pro Plus?
I agree that I'd think Nano would market it that way if it did had self-healing capabilities which, quite frankly, makes no sense to me either. I actually questioned a number of installers who claimed Nano self-healed on their website. Now that I have the film myself, I can say that it indeed does heal itself to some degree. I had a faint scratch that is already nearly gone.

Nano has a 'top coat' that is integrated rather than on top like traditional films. There's a bunch of data out there verifying that point. Here's a quick Google result with an explanation as well as some tests. There are also a number of "comparison tests" out there on other car forums as well as the tintdudes forum (check out the tests by savecars.ru).
http://www.diamond-shield.com/images...Comparison.pdf

As for the 'glossy' factor of the Nano, it's definitely the film. My OptiCoat appt isn't until next week so I'm looking at the bare film. It's WAY shinier and slicker than the Xpel Ultimate and in all honesty, looks even better than the Audi paint. I wish I'd gotten the entire car wrapped instead of a full front clip - in bright sunlight you can see the slight orange peel in the Audi paint vs the perfectly smooth look of the Nano Fusion.

As of right now, if I had to do it again, I'd chose the Nano Fusion over the Xpel Ultimate any day. I drive 50mi roundtrip on the interstate to work everyday so check back with me in a few months and we will see how it holds up.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, to each his own - I've had the Ultimate on for 3 years and have not had one scratch or rock chip on the film and it's invisible to my eye on Quartz Gray. The Opti-Coat isn't as shiny as some other paint protection coatings like CQuartz so once applied, it should tone down your shine on the film areas to match the rest of the car.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, to each his own - I've had the Ultimate on for 3 years and have not had one scratch or rock chip on the film and it's invisible to my eye on Quartz Gray. The Opti-Coat isn't as shiny as some other paint protection coatings like CQuartz so once applied, it should tone down your shine on the film areas to match the rest of the car.
After 33,000 (nearly all) interstate miles in 2 years on the A4, there are many noticeable scars in the Xpel including a few rock tears on the lower edges. Like I said, I'll see how the Nano holds up...
Old 06-04-2015, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by melland
After 33,000 (nearly all) interstate miles in 2 years on the A4, there are many noticeable scars in the Xpel including a few rock tears on the lower edges. Like I said, I'll see how the Nano holds up...
Shouldn't have happened. Looks like you either had a bad batch of film, it wasn't the Ultimate version of Xpel or was an installer issue.
Good luck.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Shouldn't have happened. Looks like you either had a bad batch of film, it wasn't the Ultimate version of Xpel or was an installer issue.
Good luck.
I'm not sure why you are so determined to assume I am wrong. Is Xpel giving you a kickback or something?

The Xpel was done by a top installer in my area. Did an excellent job. I have two cars with Xpel done by reputable installers and now a car with Nano. I've got the first hand knowledge - you've yet to acknowledge any experience with the Nano Fusion. Given all the interstate miles and high speeds, the Xpel isn't going to stop all rocks and unfortunately in certain circumstances, will be prone to a tear. Specifically, my tears were on the lower edges of the front of the A4 where the body wraps itself around the fogs lights and is nearly parallel with the road. If you're determined to play the blame game, I'll assume you've never driven your car over 30mph and you certainly haven't set foot on an interstate in a populated area.

Look, I was happy with the Xpel and overall have zero complaints with its performance given my driving/following style and mainly interstate miles. The Nano Fusion presented itself as an option by a great installer so I looked into it. After reading a ton of positive reviews (minus some bad reviews tied to Avery selling Nano to CCL), I went ahead and took the plunge. At the time it was still a complete gamble for me. Now that I've been driving with it on a few weeks, I can still say without a shred of doubt that it's better looking than the Xpel. It does seem to self-heal... to what extent can only be determined once I've got more time with the product. If I had to recommend one over the other based on my personal experience - and as it stands today - it would definitely be the Nano.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've gotten some kick back when I've posted that I'm going with a PPF other with Xpel as well.

My car is currently at the detailer where I'll be getting Suntek PPF on the full front clip and Opti Coat Pro Plus on the car, glass and wheels. I'm excited to see it come back next week. I did alot of reading before deciding to go with the Suntek vs. Xpel. Its self healing, glossier than Xpel and from what I've read doesn't have the orange peel look that I've seen on a couple cars wrapped with xpel.

Quick Reply: OptiCoat over PPF