A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Purchasing an Audi A7 in the next few months

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing an Audi A7 in the next few months

So I'm looking at a used Audi A7 and found a 2012 with 61K miles on it, but I am worried about the dangers of a such a car with that kind of mileage.

Should I be wary of anything or look for something with much lower miles?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-02-2016, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I recently purchased a 2012 A7 from the NYC metro area. I would continue looking for one with lower mileage and maybe a factory warranty. There are many in your area that have 40-50K miles on it.

What options are you looking for? I used ListingAllCars.com | Find Classics, Pre-Owned and New Cars the most for my searches.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would not be too concerned with that kind of mileage, but the key is to get all the service history details on it from an Audi dealer. If well cared for, most of these cars have already had the couple of common failure items addressed and you should have nothing to worry about. Of course a CPO warranty would give you total piece of mind. I'm selling my 2012 A6 3.0T with 64K miles and it literally still feels like new (both mechanically and visually) and the only thing I used my CPO warranty for was a burnt out LED strip in the door sill. Having that confidence, I picked up a used 2012 A7 and no regrets there either. This is a proven engine/tranny combo.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would purchase an extended warranty if you plan to keep it for awhile..
Old 02-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Wanna buy my A:)

56k mileage full bolt-on except except downpipe
Fully loaded
I got a speeding ticket 10 point.... Sign... Not doing it anymore... Wanna Get a 1990 Nissan now....... Diu
Old 02-10-2016, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They make downpipes for our car?
Old 02-10-2016, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by still in school
They make downpipes for our car?
Sorry . I mean header. From awe around 1.5- 8 k
Old 02-11-2016, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My 2012 A7 has 61k mile on it and I've had it since day 1. No issues, no worries. The car is amazing and still drives like the day I picked it up. As with all cars including Audi, an extended warranty if you are going to keep it for awhile is a great idea. As for the specific things, I would make sure that all service including the 55k service was done by Audi and then I would check the tires and brakes to make those have been changed recently. The tires wear out every 25k or so but the brakes should last you 50-70k and if you are buying from a dealer they should have changed the brakes before they sell it. Lastly, make sure you have the latest software on the MMI. The only small issue I have had was the screen not wanting to come up on it's own a few times. Quick software update and it was good to go. Enjoy! The A7 is a great car!
Old 02-14-2016, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

in the same boat as Daceptak0n.
Any help would be great also any issues on BiTdi?
Old 02-15-2016, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a couple of issues with my 2012 A7, which currently has just over 60k miles. I bought the car used, just out of warranty. Prior to purchasing it I had brought it in for a PPI at an Audi dealer in Chicago (I am located in Boston, but the car was in Chicago at the time) and they found a few issues that turned out to be non-issues, but missed a couple of real problems. I think PPI's are completely useless as I had a very similar experience at a reputable BMW dealership not too long ago, but that's a different conversation altogether.
Anyway, the big ticket items were a new mechatronics unit and a water pump. Luckily AoA and my local dealership worked together and I was able to get them to cover the repairs since the warranty had just run out. Aside from that, there has been a handful of recalls, and some other minor repairs.

I love the car and I have no regrets, but I definitely lucked out and I have an excellent relationship with my local dealer. If I had to pay for the mechatronics out of pocket it would have been a different story.

The best advice I can give you is to try and find a CPO car. The extended warranty plans for our cars are extremely expensive (to the tune of $7,000+ for Fidelity). You will pay extra for a CPO car, but not as much as an extended warranty and you will have piece of mind for two years. Also, find a reputable dealer (if you don't have one) and start building a relationship with your service advisor. He/She will be your best friend what you need them, but there is only so much they can do.

Get a PPI - they will most likely find something which you can use towards negotiating the purchase price of the car. If they miss something you have a leg to stand on should an issue arise shortly after.

Find a good indy mechanic for general repairs. A lot of the repairs can only be done by the dealer, but there's still plenty you can do elsewhere.

Invest in a VAG-COM and learn how to do the maintenance yourself. Audi wanted close to $1,200 for the 55k service; I ended up doing it myself for less than $300 using all OEM parts and it took me 2-3 hours (belts, plugs, filters, oil, etc)

Lastly, try to stay away from the "Spaceship package" - you know, the one with the night vision camera, adaptive cruise control, etc. While it is so cool to have, it is a nightmare to fix and just adds so much complexity to the car. A simple alignment will cost you over $1,000 if they have to recalibrate any of the sensors. I got lucky and I was able to find a "Prestige" trim without that package, which is rare. I love the air conditioned seats, etc, so it was worth it.

Quick Reply: Purchasing an Audi A7 in the next few months