Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A7 / S7 / RS 7 > A7
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 268477

Default Renew Audi Connect?

Hey all. I just received an email saying my Audi Connect subscription expires in 30 days. Renewal options are:

Monthly:$30.00
One year:$324.00($27/month)
Two years:$600.00($25/month)
30 months:$450.00($15/month)

I think the 30 month is a no-brainer, but is it worth it? Other than google earth in the nav (which I love), what else do you lose without Audi Connect?

Anyone else *not* renew, and if so do you notice not having it?
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753

Many threads on this. W/o Audi connect, you lose all the online features including the Google online destinations, Send to Car destinations, wifi hotspot, the built-in apps like gas prices, news, parking lot info, events, weather, etc. and as you noted, the Google Earth overlay with Street View. For me, the dynamically updated online destinations is the primary reason for me to keep it going with the rest being gravy. The car's internal POI database is extremely limited and out of date before it left the factory.

Of course you could use your smartphone for all this but for me, having it integrated into the car with voice command is part of the fun and usefulness of owning the car with all of its toys. I look at it as I already paid for all the hardware so I might as well pay for the service that makes it all work. $15 a month is a meal for two at McDonalds that I can do without and with the unlimited data, I don't have to watch my usage. Or eat that awful McJunk.

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/50K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 237496

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
Many threads on this. W/o Audi connect, you lose all the online features including the Google online destinations, Send to Car destinations, wifi hotspot, the built-in apps like gas prices, news, parking lot info, events, weather, etc. and as you noted, the Google Earth overlay with Street View. For me, the dynamically updated online destinations is the primary reason for me to keep it going with the rest being gravy. The car's internal POI database is extremely limited and out of date before it left the factory.

Of course you could use your smartphone for all this but for me, having it integrated into the car with voice command is part of the fun and usefulness of owning the car with all of its toys. I look at it as I already paid for all the hardware so I might as well pay for the service that makes it all work. $15 a month is a meal for two at McDonalds that I can do without and with the unlimited data, I don't have to watch my usage. Or eat that awful McJunk.
They are actually 15 double cheeseburgers.
AUDI A7 2012 PRESTIGE GIAC STAGE 2, AWE EXHAUST DIAMOND BLACK TIPS 349AWHP (362 with AWE and Injen) 324AWFT-LBS (335 with AWE and Injen) @ 91 OCTANE, INJEN INTAKE, MOONLIGHT BLUE/VELVET BEIGE, FULL LEDS, SIDE ASSIST, 20" WHEELS, VAG-COM MODS, EIBACH SPRINGS. The Dyno numbers are for the stage 1
DUCATI DIAVEL 2011 CARBON RED
PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO 2004
COBRA 1965

GONE
HARLEY DAVIDSON NIGHT ROD SPECIAL 2009
MERCEDES BENZ SL55 2003 527BHP, 557FT-LBS NO SPEED LIMITER.
PORSCHE 911 CARRERA 4 2000 MILLENIUM EDITION
BMW 325CI F1 CABRIO 2003
feralc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #4
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralc View Post
They are actually 15 double cheeseburgers.
You must mean those pitiful, wafer thin bait and switch cheebuggers from the dollar menu.

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
Old 05-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 212691

When my T-mobile trial expired I tried tru-phone (http://www.truphone.com/us/) as recommended here in this forum. In July 2012 I got the SIM card, put on $25 of credit and started using. It is slower than T-mobile, but still works. 22 months of occasional google maps and reasonably frequent google destination searches and I still have $9 of credit left! My cost about 73 cents per month!
Old 05-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Maguire View Post
When my T-mobile trial expired I tried tru-phone (http://www.truphone.com/us/) as recommended here in this forum. In July 2012 I got the SIM card, put on $25 of credit and started using. It is slower than T-mobile, but still works. 22 months of occasional google maps and reasonably frequent google destination searches and I still have $9 of credit left! My cost about 73 cents per month!
It's interesting that you find the TruPhone slower since they are only a third party broker using the same T-Mobile network.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 281969

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
You must mean those pitiful, wafer thin bait and switch cheebuggers from the dollar menu.
Those dollarburgers are ideal for when you need to scarf something down while steering and paddle-shifting with your other hand...
Tman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 280904

Default truphone in Europe

New Member here. I an doing a European Delivery on a 2015 A6 TDI. They do not activate the Audi Connect until I take delivery at my dealer in the USA. My question is, can I purchase a truphone sim card that I can use in Germany and France before I drop the car off for shipping back home? I would love to have internet in the car for two reasons. To use my Google Talk Phone feature on my Smartphone thru the hotspot, and to access Google Maps while driving.
dalek453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek453 View Post
New Member here. I an doing a European Delivery on a 2015 A6 TDI. They do not activate the Audi Connect until I take delivery at my dealer in the USA. My question is, can I purchase a truphone sim card that I can use in Germany and France before I drop the car off for shipping back home? I would love to have internet in the car for two reasons. To use my Google Talk Phone feature on my Smartphone thru the hotspot, and to access Google Maps while driving.
Since the European carriers probably use different frequencies the TruPhone sim (which still uses T-Mobile network in the U.S.) likely wouldn't work. Also, if the car is a U.S. version, you likely will only get the US map software loaded which would mean the Google online search wouldn't work in Europe either. Perhaps one of our Euro Audi brethren can answer that one.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 260095

You're pretty much correct snagit. US spec cars are loaded with US maps and are wired a little differently. I called Audi AG in Germany and begged them to swap mine out for an EU version but was told it wouldn't match up with my wiring. There is an after market shop outside Munich that will retrofit mine to match EU spec and load European maps all for the paltry sum of $900. For $500 they'll switch it back when I move back stateside.

For dalek453, as part of the Euro Delivery, Audi will give you a loaner GPS to get you around Europe so no worries there. Enjoy the trip and be careful in France - they seem to target Audi's!
Old 05-09-2014, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
audi, audiconnect, connect, dont, happen, renew, whtat