Renew Audi Connect? - AudiWorld Forums



A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Renew Audi Connect?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 26
Default Renew Audi Connect?

Hey all. I just received an email saying my Audi Connect subscription expires in 30 days. Renewal options are:

Monthly:$30.00
One year:$324.00($27/month)
Two years:$600.00($25/month)
30 months:$450.00($15/month)

I think the 30 month is a no-brainer, but is it worth it? Other than google earth in the nav (which I love), what else do you lose without Audi Connect?

Anyone else *not* renew, and if so do you notice not having it?
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 13,274
Default

Many threads on this. W/o Audi connect, you lose all the online features including the Google online destinations, Send to Car destinations, wifi hotspot, the built-in apps like gas prices, news, parking lot info, events, weather, etc. and as you noted, the Google Earth overlay with Street View. For me, the dynamically updated online destinations is the primary reason for me to keep it going with the rest being gravy. The car's internal POI database is extremely limited and out of date before it left the factory.

Of course you could use your smartphone for all this but for me, having it integrated into the car with voice command is part of the fun and usefulness of owning the car with all of its toys. I look at it as I already paid for all the hardware so I might as well pay for the service that makes it all work. $15 a month is a meal for two at McDonalds that I can do without and with the unlimited data, I don't have to watch my usage. Or eat that awful McJunk.
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
Many threads on this. W/o Audi connect, you lose all the online features including the Google online destinations, Send to Car destinations, wifi hotspot, the built-in apps like gas prices, news, parking lot info, events, weather, etc. and as you noted, the Google Earth overlay with Street View. For me, the dynamically updated online destinations is the primary reason for me to keep it going with the rest being gravy. The car's internal POI database is extremely limited and out of date before it left the factory.

Of course you could use your smartphone for all this but for me, having it integrated into the car with voice command is part of the fun and usefulness of owning the car with all of its toys. I look at it as I already paid for all the hardware so I might as well pay for the service that makes it all work. $15 a month is a meal for two at McDonalds that I can do without and with the unlimited data, I don't have to watch my usage. Or eat that awful McJunk.
They are actually 15 double cheeseburgers.
feralc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 13,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralc View Post
They are actually 15 double cheeseburgers.
You must mean those pitiful, wafer thin bait and switch cheebuggers from the dollar menu.
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7
Default

When my T-mobile trial expired I tried tru-phone (http://www.truphone.com/us/) as recommended here in this forum. In July 2012 I got the SIM card, put on $25 of credit and started using. It is slower than T-mobile, but still works. 22 months of occasional google maps and reasonably frequent google destination searches and I still have $9 of credit left! My cost about 73 cents per month!
Jerry_Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
AudiWorld Super User
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 13,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Maguire View Post
When my T-mobile trial expired I tried tru-phone (http://www.truphone.com/us/) as recommended here in this forum. In July 2012 I got the SIM card, put on $25 of credit and started using. It is slower than T-mobile, but still works. 22 months of occasional google maps and reasonably frequent google destination searches and I still have $9 of credit left! My cost about 73 cents per month!
It's interesting that you find the TruPhone slower since they are only a third party broker using the same T-Mobile network.
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
AudiWorld Member
 
Tman007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagitseven View Post
You must mean those pitiful, wafer thin bait and switch cheebuggers from the dollar menu.
Those dollarburgers are ideal for when you need to scarf something down while steering and paddle-shifting with your other hand...
Tman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 28
Default truphone in Europe

New Member here. I an doing a European Delivery on a 2015 A6 TDI. They do not activate the Audi Connect until I take delivery at my dealer in the USA. My question is, can I purchase a truphone sim card that I can use in Germany and France before I drop the car off for shipping back home? I would love to have internet in the car for two reasons. To use my Google Talk Phone feature on my Smartphone thru the hotspot, and to access Google Maps while driving.
dalek453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
AudiWorld Super User
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 13,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek453 View Post
New Member here. I an doing a European Delivery on a 2015 A6 TDI. They do not activate the Audi Connect until I take delivery at my dealer in the USA. My question is, can I purchase a truphone sim card that I can use in Germany and France before I drop the car off for shipping back home? I would love to have internet in the car for two reasons. To use my Google Talk Phone feature on my Smartphone thru the hotspot, and to access Google Maps while driving.
Since the European carriers probably use different frequencies the TruPhone sim (which still uses T-Mobile network in the U.S.) likely wouldn't work. Also, if the car is a U.S. version, you likely will only get the US map software loaded which would mean the Google online search wouldn't work in Europe either. Perhaps one of our Euro Audi brethren can answer that one.
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vicenza, Italy
Posts: 42
Default

You're pretty much correct snagit. US spec cars are loaded with US maps and are wired a little differently. I called Audi AG in Germany and begged them to swap mine out for an EU version but was told it wouldn't match up with my wiring. There is an after market shop outside Munich that will retrofit mine to match EU spec and load European maps all for the paltry sum of $900. For $500 they'll switch it back when I move back stateside.

For dalek453, as part of the Euro Delivery, Audi will give you a loaner GPS to get you around Europe so no worries there. Enjoy the trip and be careful in France - they seem to target Audi's!
bigdaddyp61 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A6 2016 gps issues Whatever16 A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion 42 08-01-2016 07:11 PM
2015 A6 Sim Card?? thehedge A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion 3 09-01-2015 08:59 AM
Just Bought 2015 used A3 1.8 stsms13 Audi A3 / S3 / RS3 1 09-01-2015 07:34 AM
2004 ar 6spd- Slightpower surge after shift SixStick Audi allroad 0 08-31-2015 08:11 PM
PRND FAILURE Janryk A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion 0 08-30-2015 03:12 AM


Tags
audi, audiconnect, connect, dont, happen, renew, whtat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:39 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send