A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Sim Card Plan for Audi Connect ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sim Card Plan for Audi Connect ?

Which cheap SIM Card Plan for Audi A7. I have family plan with T-Mobile - currently.
I have heard the Freedom Pop - free plan work good s- i believe it offer 200mb per month data. Or should i go with US Mobile ? Any recommendations?

Last edited by msandhu413; 01-18-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't recommend US Mobile. My US Mobile SIM worked great for about 3 months, then became extremely intermittent. I installed an AudiConnect T-Mobile card, set up an AudiConnect online account, and everything worked flawlessly. Swapped the US Mobile SIM BACK in, and nothing. I've heard Freedom and TruPhone success stories, but have no experience with them.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had good luck with TruPhone until AT&T turned off their 2G network on 1/1/17, which rendered their service inoperative on my 2012 A7 with the original modem. I've got a FreedomPop SIM on order and should receive it later this week. I'll let you know if I have good results. Pricing-wise, FreedomPop's $0.025/meg pricing should beat TruPhone's $0.09/meg rate, though I'll have to see how the actual signal quality and terms of service play out in the long run.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looking forward to hearing how it works for you. I won't want to pay for T-Mobile after my 6 month trial expires!
Old 01-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tcoble33
I had good luck with TruPhone until AT&T turned off their 2G network on 1/1/17, which rendered their service inoperative on my 2012 A7 with the original modem. I've got a FreedomPop SIM on order and should receive it later this week. I'll let you know if I have good results. Pricing-wise, FreedomPop's $0.025/meg pricing should beat TruPhone's $0.09/meg rate, though I'll have to see how the actual signal quality and terms of service play out in the long run.
Yes, that will be great if you can tell us how FreedomPOP SIM works with AudiConnect. And I assuming you will subscribe to the free service by FreedomPOP.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also curious to see how FreedomPOP works for you.

Generally, how many MB of data do you guys use per month? I used TruPhone until recently and my usage was around 300MB a month. Thought it was a bit high since I only use it for GPS.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When my US Mobile SIM worked I never went over 250MB per month, and that was just using Google Earth overlay on the Nav all the time and occasional Online Destination searches. Now that I'm on the trial 6 months of the T-Mobile SIM I use a lot more data because I use the car as a WiFi hotspot.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, my FreedomPop sim arrived yesterday. I've only gone so far as popping it in to see if I can get a signal, log in, etc. Unfortunately, it's indicating that it's connecting to the AT&T network, which isn't going to do me much good. I've reached out to FreedomPop tech support (such as it is), as I could have sworn that their service was, at least partially, based on the T-Mobile network. Fingers crossed that this can be resolved. Just in case, though, are there any similar services that are absolutely, positively T-Mobile based?
Old 01-26-2017, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tcoble33
Well, my FreedomPop sim arrived yesterday. I've only gone so far as popping it in to see if I can get a signal, log in, etc. Unfortunately, it's indicating that it's connecting to the AT&T network, which isn't going to do me much good. I've reached out to FreedomPop tech support (such as it is), as I could have sworn that their service was, at least partially, based on the T-Mobile network. Fingers crossed that this can be resolved. Just in case, though, are there any similar services that are absolutely, positively T-Mobile based?
APN should be freedompop.froggmobile.com and user id and password should be blank. Also, i have read somewhere that also the SIM card has to be just data sim card not phone/data card. let us know how it goes...
Old 01-28-2017, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update: I'm an idiot. The Freedompop sim was hitting the T-Mobile network as intended. Apparently the AT&T indicator that I was seeing just reflected that my cell phone, which was paired at the time, is on AT&T.

So, after some initial frustration with getting the APN/username/password entered just right, I was up and running. It's only been a day, but so far so good. I'm only getting 2G speeds, but I suspect that has more to do with the network strength in my area than with the service itself.

At the moment I'm using the initial 5 gigs that they give you to run an experiment. I'm basically keeping Google Maps turned on whenever I'm driving around town to see what a "worst case" data consumption month would look like. Then I'll use that to decide which plan I'll go with long-term. I'll probably end up dropping down to the free plan, but even if I need more than the 500 meg that would give me, their first few service tiers are pretty reasonable compared to T-Mobile's.

Quick Reply: Sim Card Plan for Audi Connect ?