A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

T-Mobile to Downgrade Wireless Speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Mobile to Downgrade Wireless Speed

I have a 2012 A7 and live in the DC area. I just got a letter from T-Mobile stating that due to "enhancements" they are making to their network, I

"will notice a decrease in the data speeds of your vehicle's T-Mobile service, which may adversely impact your Audi connect features....slower speeds may be experienced in vehicles with modems that are not configured to receive our new upgraded network services."

I'm sure they will reduce the price of connect...lol. I'm a little torqued that my 4 year-old car is now slowly becoming obsolete. Makes you consider not adding all the latest connectivity features on to your car and just relying on your handset for connectivity (Waze, music, etc).

I'm really disappointed with both Audi and T-Mobile.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Strange, this exact same thread was started yesterday and I responded, but the thread disappeared. No reason to be upset. Take your car to the dealer and they will replace the telephone module free of charge to correct this. T-Mobile has been refarming their network to make room for LTE for a while now and this has been discussed here at length. They are doing this market by market. The new telephone module is faster, because it supports the HSPA/HSPA+ networks and also allows you to switch to AT&T if you prefer. You should be getting a letter from Audi with all the information.

Audi letter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing
Dataplans: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing
Old 06-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I calle audi and they told me I "may" qualify for the upgrade.
im like WTF
Old 06-01-2016, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

This is actually old news - T-Mobile began changing to the newer 3G band last year in various areas of the country. As Superswiss wrote, so long as you have an active T-Mobile plan, Audi will foot the bill to upgrade the modem. The new frequency will be the same as AT&T so if you already have their service on your phone, after the upgrade you can add the car to your family share plan if you wish.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Strange, this exact same thread was started yesterday and I responded, but the thread disappeared. No reason to be upset. Take your car to the dealer and they will replace the telephone module free of charge to correct this. T-Mobile has been refarming their network to make room for LTE for a while now and this has been discussed here at length. They are doing this market by market. The new telephone module is faster, because it supports the HSPA/HSPA+ networks and also allows you to switch to AT&T if you prefer. You should be getting a letter from Audi with all the information.

Audi letter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing
Dataplans: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing
SS - Thanks for clearing that up. That is indeed good news.

And yes, I did create a post yesterday and then took it down. I had attached the actual letter but then realized I left some personal info on the letter. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for all the other replies too. Very helpful.

Best,
P
Old 06-04-2016, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called Audi last night and they said he same thing.. WTF..Said that they would have to do a claim based on the affected area and the model of AUDI to see if they will honor the warranty. SMH..I live in Houston which is one the places T-Mobile changed up so we will see if they approve the upgrade..
Old 06-04-2016, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you live in one of the affected areas, have a 2012/2013 C7 with Audi Connect and have an active Audi Connect T-Mo plan (even just a month to month),you should be fine for an approval.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes 2012 A7 and does that include the US-mobile SIM ??
the us-mobile sim was active when I called and when she checked the VIN / vehicle the rep stated the Audi connect wasn't active (but it was through us-mobile sim), and she asked if I was using an "outside SIM" and I said no...Does it have to be the T-Mobile sim for it to work ??
Old 06-04-2016, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by burlgoat53
the us-mobile sim was active when I called and when she checked the VIN / vehicle the rep stated the Audi connect wasn't active (but it was through us-mobile sim), and she asked if I was using an "outside SIM" and I said no...Does it have to be the T-Mobile sim for it to work ??
Yes, you have to have an active T-Mo sim via the Audi Connect plan. You can buy a one month subscription with their sim to satsify the requirement then after the modem upgrade cancel, go back to your US Mobile sim.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by burlgoat53
It has to be an official Audi connect subscription (T-Mobile in your case). While technically the system works with third party SIMs such as US-Mobile, that's not a supported way by Audi. As far as they are concerned your Audi connect is not active, and therefore they won't cover it. The way around this is to sign up for a month to month subscription at myaudiconnect.com. Once you've got the hardware upgraded, then you can cancel the subscription and use your US-Mobile SIM again.

Quick Reply: T-Mobile to Downgrade Wireless Speed