A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

T-Mobile Fix coming

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yakivegas
I actually found a few areas with 3G reception with T-Mobile, got around 2Mbps download speed, sluggish but functional. AT&T's coverage here is much better.

Once the trial runs out, I'll look into the AT&T options. Might be tricky to figure out the best data plan. We have two phones on grandfathered AT&T Unlimited data plans, so we can't just add the car to a shared data plan.
Yeah, I had a grandfathered unlimited data plan for years as well. I was unwilling to give up the "unlimited" part. When looking at how much data I actually used, it made more sense to go with one of the new plans and consolidate all 3 phones in my household. It just seems with wifi so widely available (from AT&T, my cable company, businesses/establishments, etc.), my cell data usage wasn't anywhere near enough to warrant "unlimited" data.

If you use it for laptop connections on the road or something like that, maybe the old "unlimited" plan pays off, but I think those plans only get 3G, not LTE. Not a consideration for your car, but it may be if you have a recent phone.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have to change any settings to get AT&T sim to work or is it plug and play?
Old 03-28-2015, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pretty much plug and play. Just make sure you get the correct size SIM card. The settings that came with my AT&T sim worked.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a 2012 and just got mmi version upgraded to 814 will that allow me an at option or am I restricted to tmob by hardware in the 2012

Last edited by diddlyv; 07-01-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Reading through these posts, I thought I would clarify what I've learned from other threads on the subject. (U.S. models)

MY2012/2013 C7: Will work in 3G only with T-Mobile or one of the 3rd party providers that use T-Mobile, i.e. TruPhone or US Mobile. While an AT&T sim will work, it will only support the slower 2G speed. *

MY2014/2015 C7: Because these model years have an updated modem in the 5F MMI module that includes a newer T-Mobile 3G frequency, they can use either T-Mobile or AT&T for 3G.

MY2016 C7: Is set up for AT&T 4G LTE only.

* T-Mobile is changing their 3G frequency to the same one used by AT&T. So far, they are only in the process of doing this regionally in the IL/IN area. Consequently, MY2012/2013 owners in that area are receiving letters from T-Mobile and Audi with the offer to update the 5F MMI module, presumably to that of the MY2014/2015 models by a few select dealers. This should allow for AT&T 3G compatibility (but not 4G LTE). Currently there have been no reports or activity re this update for other regions in the U.S., yet one might suppose that T-Mobile could be rolling out this update in other parts of the country eventually.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by diddlyv
I have a 2012 and just got mmi version upgraded to 814 will that allow me an at option or am I restricted to tmob by hardware in the 2012
You received a software update, not a hardware update you are still stuck with T-Mobile unless you want AT&T 2G.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I live in SoFLA and I received a letter that says they are upgrading the network but also says - "however slower speeds may be experienced in vehicles with modems that are not configured to receive our new upgraded network services" Since I've owned my 2012 Q7 I've experienced very slow connections throughout FL and the southeast. Most of the time I get a 2g connection with 3-4 bars. Occasionally, I will get a 3g connection with 2 bars. Trying to use the hotspot is a lost cause. I connect but it's so slow, it struggles to do simple things like update email. I plan to call my Audi dealer about a free upgrade or I plan to discontinue Audi Connect. Audi should understand how this technology advances and have a user serviceable option to swap the cell modem.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You should also receive a letter from AOA soon about the modem upgrade which will restore T-Mobile 3G with the new frequency. A benefit of the new 3G freq is that it is compatible with AT&T 3G so as mentioned in an earlier post, after the upgrade you can switch to AT&T if desired.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:39 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have not received any letter from AOA about this for my 2014 A7. Can anyone post a copy so I can show my local dealer?
Old 08-08-2015, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by f10
I have not received any letter from AOA about this for my 2014 A7. Can anyone post a copy so I can show my local dealer?
You can read this whole thread or just look at post #129:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...2883842/page4/

If you are not located in one of those markets listed then...

1)T-Mobile is not changing the 3G freq as of now, therefore,
2) There is no modem upgrade needed or to be offered and as a result,
3) You will not receive a letter from AOA or T-Mobile. And finally.
4) Your dealer will have no idea what this is about.

Quick Reply: T-Mobile Fix coming