A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

TDI satisfaction or regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDI satisfaction or regrets?

Can those of you who have purchased the TDI as your first diesel car express how satisfied you are with your choice? I am considering this option even though I really love the supercharged 3.0T motor.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by donaldp
Can those of you who have purchased the TDI as your first diesel car express how satisfied you are with your choice? I am considering this option even though I really love the supercharged 3.0T motor.
I have zero regrets getting the TDI model. I do a lot of driving and the range of it is fantastic. But I also like that it's "different". People already notice the car but those who really appreciate it see those three letters and the conversation gets even better.

Plus.. who doesn't love a huge helping of torque?!? Hammering down in it is a more thrilling experience then any vehicle I have owned previously.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a 3.0T and I love it, yes it is true you must go further with the pedal to achieve the acceleration you feel with the TDI with barely touching it (which is what most owners like about it besides the better mileage)
But in a car like an A7 in a country where gasoline and diesel are about the same price for me there is only one option, gasoline (higher revs, better sound, faster, sportier) I am not planning in hauling anything with my A7 so to have a car that only revs to 5k rpms (even if it can haul a house) it doesn't make sense to me.
(if you have an AWE exhaust you will understand the symphony that is the engine after 5k rpms)
Now, if we are talking about a Q5/Q7 for the wifey, that is a different story, the diesel makes more sense, until I remember it is actually more expensive and there is no diesel available in every station.
In my mind the rank of engines options, from more desireable to less, for the 7 line:
4.0 TFSI bi-turbo 560hp
4.0 TFSI bi-turbo 420hp
3.0 TDI bi-turbo diesel 313hp (not available in the US)
3.0 TFSI 310hp
3.0 TDI 245hp
3.0 TDI 204hp (not available in the US)
2.8 FSI 204hp (not available in the US)
Old 09-24-2014, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had my A6 TDI since Aug. 2013 and have 17k+ miles on it, and absolutely love it - the combination of torque and MPG can't be beat. In mixed commuting, I'm consistently averaging 31-32mpg (manually calculated per tank) - for me, it's not so much about the fuel savings (which is nice), but the convenience of having to tank up typically only once every 2 weeks @ close to 600 miles/tank. I had a 2010 3.0T prior to this and don't feel like I gave up anything in terms of power/quickness, and I would get about 10 mpg less with the 3.0T vs the TDI After having the TDI < 1 year, I became such a fan of diesel engines, that we ended up getting my wife a ML350 Bluetec, which she loves. Don't think I'd ever go back to regular gas vehicle.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purchased a 2014 A7 TDI in June and love it. No regrets and the mileage is everything you would expect.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Another favorable opinion on the TDI - our first diesel; now with 12k miles on the A7. Purchased it after test driving lots of cars and comparing it to the TFSI (and having driven diesels in Europe). Acceleration is obviously almost the same as the TFSI (0.1sec slower to 60 mph) however, you do not have to fill the tank up as frequently. As audi40 we also get about 32 mpg in mixed driving and about 39 on the highway. It is interesting (and not surprising if you have driven one of these diesels) to read how many "celebrities" like soccer stars in Europe select one of these modern diesel Audis when the car comes free (as part of the team sponsorship) and money is not an issue.
In Norway about 3/4 of all cars are diesels despite the very cold temperatures so this old issue has been completely solved. In our area most stations have diesel and the price is comparable (or lower) than middle grade gasoline. My suggestion is to test drive them back to back. Try driving them in S mode!!
As feralc said if you enjoy revving the engine above 5k the TDI is not for you. If you typically drive in automatic mode you will be surprised at the TDI torque around 2k RPM with the TDI.
They are both great engines and great cars that surely are a bargain in the US compared to the price paid the rest of the world!
Old 09-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by donaldp
I've owned the TDI Q5 for a year now (and test driven the TDI a7) and love it. It's my first diesel. Great mpg, and when the torque kicks in it provides a sensational, v8-like surge of power that gets a little addictive. But folks are correct that the power delivery isn't as seamlessly smooth from low rpm as the 3.0t. But then again the 3.0t doesn't provide quite the slingshotty 'oomph' factor either, although it's also a lovely engine. The good news is you can't go wrong with either.

Btw, the only real downside to the TDI I've experienced is that it takes longer to warm up the car on a cold winter morning. The TDI generates less heat than the gas, and even with the supplemental heater running, the car will likely take longer than you may be used to to heat up.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:45 PM
RAF_S7

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Im with Feralc on this one.

I love my 3.0T, with its newly fitted AWE Quad exhaust. (Injen on the way, but have bottled it as far as the GIAC/APR ECU/Pulley upgrade. For now!)

Also while you may get more mpg that the petrol models, the diesel is actually less environmentally friendly, and here in the UK there is talk of increasing the tax penalties as well as the congestion charges in London if your taking a diesel car into the city.

There is also a significant price differential between petrol and diesel here in the UK, with diesel being significantly more expensive that petrol.

And being a diesel, it idle still sounds like a tractor, even if its in a sexier body shape

JW.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Took delivery of a 2014 A6 TDI in June. Engine performance is great in the short time that I have driven. As my daily driver getting just over 30 MPG, mostly city. Tickles me that I can go just under 600 miles before I chicken out and refuel when the gauge hits 1/8 tank. But if the supercharged engine tickles you, go for it.

My only complaint with the car is the BOSE sound system, which amounts to an AM radio on steroids, that dampens the experience. At all volumes the center dash mono speaker overwhelms the sound from all other speakers, no matter how one fiddles with the settings. Have written Audi inquiring whether they can push BOSE for a MMI upgrade that would allow one to switch between “stereo” and “surround sound”. (I doubt that many people are playing movie soundtracks in the car as opposed to listening to recordings made in stereo.) Suspecting that this request will go unanswered, have disconnected the center dash speaker with some improvement.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You might be surprised that you can now purchase the new Audi TT with a 2.0 TDI engine in Germany! Yes, amazing in a 2 seater "sports car"! (Of course you can also get 3 Porsches - Panamera, Cayenne and Macan with these TDI engines as well.
This should give you an idea about these TDI engines.

Quick Reply: TDI satisfaction or regrets?