A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Upgrading from 2013 A7 to 2016 A7 soon- What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading from 2013 A7 to 2016 A7 soon- What to look for?

My lease is up very soon so I have started the search for a new 2016 A7 as replacement. Let me frame this by saying I drive very little for business, and after 2.5 years in my current automobile I have just crested 10K miles. We typically outright purchase my wife's car and use it for road trips, weekend warrior chores, etc...

I am obviously not going to get into a loaded new A7 but am curious if any of you who have made the jump find features as "must haves" vs " waste of time" and why? I don't need the bells and whistles of the Prestige line, so I am leaning towards a premium plus with a few "fluff" items. Audi already bakes in many creature comforts into both lines, so this should be relatively easy.

1. Should I stay with 19 inch wheels or upgrade to 20 inch?
2. Is the Black Optics Package worth it?
3. Is the Driver Assist package that contains the front corner cameras worth it?
4. Is the standard 10 speaker Bose stereo system adequate, crappy like my current model with barely any base, or should I upgrade to the Bose surround system?

Thanks in advance-

Rob
Old 06-17-2015, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NaplesQ7
My lease is up very soon so I have started the search for a new 2016 A7 as replacement. Let me frame this by saying I drive very little for business, and after 2.5 years in my current automobile I have just crested 10K miles. We typically outright purchase my wife's car and use it for road trips, weekend warrior chores, etc...

I am obviously not going to get into a loaded new A7 but am curious if any of you who have made the jump find features as "must haves" vs " waste of time" and why? I don't need the bells and whistles of the Prestige line, so I am leaning towards a premium plus with a few "fluff" items. Audi already bakes in many creature comforts into both lines, so this should be relatively easy.

1. Should I stay with 19 inch wheels or upgrade to 20 inch?
2. Is the Black Optics Package worth it?
3. Is the Driver Assist package that contains the front corner cameras worth it?
4. Is the standard 10 speaker Bose stereo system adequate, crappy like my current model with barely any base, or should I upgrade to the Bose surround system?

Thanks in advance-

Rob
I'm taking possession of a '16 Prestige A7 tomorrow, formerly had a '14. Not a lot of changes to the vehicles in the last couple of years, mostly cosmetic and some slight functional ones.

The Black Optics are personal choice - mine has the option and I like it. Without it, it's still a beautiful car. With it, car looks a bit more aggressive.

I specifically wanted the Driver Assist; had it on the '14 and found it useful, but then it's a personal choice as well. Many people could care less about it.

I'm not too impressed with Bose at all, standard or surround. I wish Harmon Kardon was available - had it on a MB and BMW I used to own and in my opinion, I think it far surpasses Bose.

Sticking with Premium Plus is good and you can really add what you want...I would stick with the 19 in wheels since they will give a better ride.
Z
Old 06-17-2015, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zekeman
I'm taking possession of a '16 Prestige A7 tomorrow, formerly had a '14. Not a lot of changes to the vehicles in the last couple of years, mostly cosmetic and some slight functional ones.

The Black Optics are personal choice - mine has the option and I like it. Without it, it's still a beautiful car. With it, car looks a bit more aggressive.

I specifically wanted the Driver Assist; had it on the '14 and found it useful, but then it's a personal choice as well. Many people could care less about it.

I'm not too impressed with Bose at all, standard or surround. I wish Harmon Kardon was available - had it on a MB and BMW I used to own and in my opinion, I think it far surpasses Bose.

Sticking with Premium Plus is good and you can really add what you want...I would stick with the 19 in wheels since they will give a better ride.
Z
Much appreciated on the wheel recommendation. My current A7 has the 20 inch wheels, which I have no issue with, but I remember seeing most people prefer the 19's. I love the look of the Black Optics package as well but not sure, for my purposes, warrants the extra cash. My current build has the side assist alerts on the side mirrors, which I find intuitive, does the base package have that or do I need to get the Driver Assist package?
Old 06-17-2015, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

does the base package have that or do I need to get the Driver Assist package?
What I would do is go to the configuration page on Audi.com and "build" a Premium Plus car, adding the options you want...it'll give you a pretty concise price on the car and define what is in the various packages.
Z
Old 06-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What I would do is go to the configuration page on Audi.com and "build" a Premium Plus car, adding the options you want...it'll give you a pretty concise price on the car and define what is in the various packages.
Z
Thanks, I just did. It does have the side assist and pre sense rear standard on the basic package under the Infotainment/Technology section.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I upgraded last August from a MY12 A7 to a MY15 A7. Option wise identical cars in every respect, but did move from Bose to the B&O.

If you can swing it well worth the upgrade. Its an amazing system if you are into music and are playing good quality sources (CD/DVD-A or lightly compressed from jukebox)
Old 06-18-2015, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I avoided the black optic package but went with the 20in wheel option and haven't regretted it. I get a lot of complements on the wheels. I would have liked the black optic package but don't like that it lacks gloss. Looks rather plasticy imo. I also avoided the driver assistance package just because I prefer the aesthetics of the car without the cruise control bulbs on the front. Kind of wish they had gone with the square/rectangular shape they did on the A5 for those. Lastly, I stuck with the bose speakers. Ive heard the B&O in an A8 and couldn't really justify the extra 5k just to please my bassheavy serotto only slightly. Great car either way you go about it. I'm a happy customer thus far.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gema7
I avoided the black optic package but went with the 20in wheel option and haven't regretted it. I get a lot of complements on the wheels. I would have liked the black optic package but don't like that it lacks gloss. Looks rather plasticy imo. I also avoided the driver assistance package just because I prefer the aesthetics of the car without the cruise control bulbs on the front. Kind of wish they had gone with the square/rectangular shape they did on the A5 for those. Lastly, I stuck with the bose speakers. Ive heard the B&O in an A8 and couldn't really justify the extra 5k just to please my bassheavy serotto only slightly. Great car either way you go about it. I'm a happy customer thus far.
Found exactly what I wanted yesterday and am the proud new owner of a 2016 Premium Plus A7, Oolong Gray Metallic Paint, black leather interior, S-Line package with 19 Inch 7 Spoke wheels (which I love) and the Bose surround sound. Dealer Tinted the windows for free. It looks totally ominous!

Will post pics when the weather permits. I love the subtle differences from 2013 to 2016, and the new AT&T 4G network and updated MMI is screaming fast!

Thanks for all the helpful info, I appreciate it.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Found exactly what I wanted yesterday and am the proud new owner of a 2016 Premium Plus A7, Oolong Gray Metallic Paint, black leather interior, S-Line package with 19 Inch 7 Spoke wheels (which I love) and the Bose surround sound. Dealer Tinted the windows for free. It looks totally ominous!

Will post pics when the weather permits. I love the subtle differences from 2013 to 2016, and the new AT&T 4G network and updated MMI is screaming fast!

Thanks for all the helpful info, I appreciate it.
Looks like we got pretty much the same car - got my Prestige on Thursday, same color, same interior, with S-line & driver assist but I got the black optics & 20" wheels, tinted & bra. Agree, pretty ominous looking! Enjoy yours, I am mine!
Z
Old 06-20-2015, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks like we got pretty much the same car - got my Prestige on Thursday, same color, same interior, with S-line & driver assist but I got the black optics & 20" wheels, tinted & bra. Agree, pretty ominous looking! Enjoy yours, I am mine!
Z
Thanks, Z! I am still in awe over how it looks. In SW FL i was skeptical to get a dark colored paint due to the oppressive heat, but man it looks like Darth Vaders car!!! I wanted the black optics package but didnt want the glossy black window trim, hence why I caved on the car I chose. I had the 20 inch wheels on my 13 but with the lowered sports suspension and 19's on the new one I am happy, looks good.