A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

At what speed does rear spoiler lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious. Do any of you put the spoiler up manually for show? If so, how often?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbarrow22
You're right, downforce is not the goal, but a reduction in drag probably is. There would be some small efficiency benefit at sustained high speeds that North American drivers are unlikely to experience.
Actually the purpose of the spoiler is to reduce lift at the rear end at high speed and is similar to the ones found on the R8 and Porsches.
A basic understanding of Thermodynamics tells you that the A7's overall shape is like an airplane wing and at high speeds, it will lift upwards. The spoiler actually increases drag and pushes down on the lighter rear end keeping some force pushing down on the back, thus giving more control.
Attached Images   

Last edited by JerryS4; 01-10-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

JerryS4: You may want to use "a basic understanding of aerodynamics" rather than thermodynamics. The A7 is hot; but not in a way that the spoiler would impact its hotness. LOL.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryS4
Actually the purpose of the spoiler is to reduce lift at the rear end at high speed and is similar to the ones found on the R8 and Porsches.
A basic understanding of Thermodynamics tells you that the A7's overall shape is like an airplane wing and at high speeds, it will lift upwards. The spoiler actually increases drag and pushes down on the lighter rear end keeping some force pushing down on the back, thus giving more control.
Would be interesting to see a windtunnel flow picture with the spoiler up and down.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jfourman
JerryS4: You may want to use "a basic understanding of aerodynamics" rather than thermodynamics. The A7 is hot; but not in a way that the spoiler would impact its hotness. LOL.
It is hot indeed.
Aerodynamics is the right term but I recall the study of drag, lift and fluid/air flow in my college Thermo class.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

JerryS4: I didn't see your image before my previous post. You also might want to turn that airfoil picture upside down since the pictured orientation is producing lift, not downward force. ...if only the A7 could fly. ...That is rumored to be available in the 2013 A7 Aviation Package.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jfourman
JerryS4: I didn't see your image before my previous post. You also might want to turn that airfoil picture upside down since the pictured orientation is producing lift, not downward force. ...if only the A7 could fly. ...That is rumored to be available in the 2013 A7 Aviation Package.
My point is that the entire A7 acts like airfoil, not the rear spoiler, so the side by side pictures are appropriate. All that is needed for the A7 spoiler is just an air-dam to push the back-end down. I assume that Audi and Porsche have a few engineers that know what they are doing.

Race cars have large, dedicated upside down wings in the rear but that is not the look that anyone would accept in an A7.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got it. Sorry for being so contentious. Maybe we could get one of those aftermarket wings fitted for the A7... Sweeeet
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the input!!...I guess if I see my spoiler go up, then it should be a reminder to slow the F down. Cops in South FL are no joke!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JT Sarubbi
Thanks everyone for the input!!...I guess if I see my spoiler go up, then it should be a reminder to slow the F down. Cops in South FL are no joke!

Cops don't know the exact speed your spoiler will raise. LOL!

Quick Reply: At what speed does rear spoiler lift?