A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Audi and New D2 S8 Owner Needs Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input.
We shall see what OBDeleven can do. I dont know if the ABS pump can be bench bled. I will see about that one too.
The car only has one ignition key. (of COURSE)
Any leads on the best place/way to get duplicates? I'd actually rather spend 200$ on the programmer and a blank than pay $150 to have someone do it.
That way I can dupe the wifes VW key if i need to as well. If its too much of a pain I will just have it done.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to say dealer cost to flush brake fluid is 195$.I think no more than 2L of fluid is needed.
20s,yeah pefect size if u ask me,not too big not too small.Definitely wouldnt go bigger than 20s.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jfrahm
VCDS for brake bleeding is critical IMO, unless OBDeleven can do it also. I run VCDS on a crappy Win10 netbook with a genuine interface cable. Bubbles love to hide in that ABS unit, a pressure bleeder, VCDS and the ol' 2x4 wedged on the seat and brake pedal are sometimes needed to get a good pedal. I am not surprised this was beyond a cheap and cheerful chain shop.

-Joel.
Thanks Joel

I think I will just send out the ABS module and have it repaired. That way I dont have to disconnect all the lines - If i can separate the module from the pump without taking the whole thing out of the car. IS that possible?
Old 12-24-2016, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Y888
Forgot to say dealer cost to flush brake fluid is 195$.I think no more than 2L of fluid is needed.
20s,yeah pefect size if u ask me,not too big not too small.Definitely wouldnt go bigger than 20s.
Maybe after I do whatever I need to do with the brakes I'll have the dealer bleed them/flush the system if I cant get all the bubbles out. That way I know I'm good if they do it. I dont think 200$ is overpriced when it comes to a firm brake pedal and functional ABS brakes..
Old 12-24-2016, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Y888
Check coolant every day before you start it to see if it leaks,
timing belt needs to be checked(75k miles or 8 years change interval,dealer cost 2100$),replace fuel filter and check if the car will run with less than 1/3 of the tank.
If the filter never been changed pump will die and when you install new pump it has to be done correctly otherwise it will not run with less than 1/3 of fuel.

How many miles on the clock?
Where would the coolant typically leak on this car?...It has the orange coolant in the expansion tank when I checked.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Passenger side is where the oil cooler pipe is which is a weak point. The pipe is made of plastic and cracks over time, causing coolant to leak. Also check under the coolant expansion tank. Leaking can occur there as well. Very easy to spot.

Audi coolant (G12/13) is Pink/Purple. You state yours is orange. That leads me to think the previous owner mix in/used the wrong type of coolant. You will want to flush out your system and get in the correct coolant (G12/13). If you don't it will cause havoc with your radiator/cooling system.

This is a common error as people don't understand these cars and what it takes to keep them running correctly.

Good luck.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok I'll check in those places. Orange coolant is what GM calls DEXCool. I believe its the Audi equivalent or at least similar. Its not like the typical green antifreeze. Anywho..I will drain the coolant and put the correct in from the dealer. Glad I bought that coolant system vacuum tool from one of the places you suggested! thanks!

Last edited by S8LEE; 12-24-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by S8LEE
Ok I'll check in those places. Orange coolant is what GM calls DEXCool. I believe its the Audi equivalent or at least similar. Its not like the typical green antifreeze. Anywho..I will drain the coolant and put the correct in from the dealer. Glad I bought that coolant system vacuum tool from one of the places you suggested! thanks!
dexcool and g12 are different coolants. completely.
Draing, flush and replace with audi coolant. You are doing the right thing.

-Richard
Old 12-27-2016, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=
Audi coolant (G12/13) is Pink/Purple. You state yours is orange. That leads me to think the previous owner mix in/used the wrong type of coolant. You will want to flush out your system and get in the correct coolant (G12/13). If you don't it will cause havoc with your radiator/cooling system.

This is a common error as people don't understand these cars and what it takes to keep them running correctly.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Looks like I was wrong about the orange coolant. Thats what it looked like with the flashlight on my finger but I think this looks pink. Do

you think this is G12?
Old 12-27-2016, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I did the drivers side valvecover gasket today and this connector was brittle and crumbling - It broke when I tried to disconnect it. Anyone know what it is for? I might just change the connector all together to a GM weatherpack connector. I have lots of those....

Quick Reply: 1st Audi and New D2 S8 Owner Needs Advice