A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Durable engine? 2.5 3.3 or 4.2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durable engine? 2.5 3.3 or 4.2?

Hello, I am currently looking for an Audi A8 D2, because I really love this car. Now I know these cars are getting old and I have to keep a lot of things in mind before I buy one. Most of the cars have a milage of around 250k to 300k Km. I want to buy the one that I can still can use for at least 2 years.

What displacement should I look for? The 2.5L would be nice because it uses the least petrol, and the 3.3L and the 4.2 are beasts, but what engine is the best, looking at durability and maintenance?

Kind regards,

Michel Prins
Old 06-05-2016, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

I can only speak to the 4.2, but from what I've read these engines are good for 250,000 - 300,000 miles.

I have 118,XXX on my 4.2 and the only thing, engine related, is a slight oil leak from the lower oil pan seal. Not a big issue because the amount is so small, it doesn't affect the oil level.

One thing I'm keeping an eye on is the oil cooler pipe, a known issue for 4.2 engines, but the 2.5 and 3.3 might have the same oil cooler pipe issues, as well.

Like most anything that is used, find one that has been taken care of by the previous owner(s) and you should be good.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 2001 S8
I can only speak to the 4.2, but from what I've read these engines are good for 250,000 - 300,000 miles.

I have 118,XXX on my 4.2 and the only thing, engine related, is a slight oil leak from the lower oil pan seal. Not a big issue because the amount is so small, it doesn't affect the oil level.

One thing I'm keeping an eye on is the oil cooler pipe, a known issue for 4.2 engines, but the 2.5 and 3.3 might have the same oil cooler pipe issues, as well.

Like most anything that is used, find one that has been taken care of by the previous owner(s) and you should be good.

Good luck.
Thanks. Unfortunately I am located in Poland and they are not really famous for their good maintenance and quite popular for improvising. It will be quite a challange, but thanks anyway I will keep an eye out!
Old 06-05-2016, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

S8 4.2, because it has forged engine components(dont know exactly which ones)
Old 06-05-2016, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Y888
S8 4.2, because it has forged engine components(dont know exactly which ones)
The piston rods ... FL A8 has cast cold cracked rods. I believe PFL 4.2s had forged rods also.

But, in this case, forged may be no advantage, especially for longevity. The metallurgy, casting and cold cracking process makes a more stable and much more precise fit between top and bottom halves of the rod, translating into longer bearing life. ...and plenty strong enough for the stock or moderately "modded" engine.

Cheers
Old 06-06-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by silverd2
The piston rods ... FL A8 has cast cold cracked rods. I believe PFL 4.2s had forged rods also.

But, in this case, forged may be no advantage, especially for longevity. The metallurgy, casting and cold cracking process makes a more stable and much more precise fit between top and bottom halves of the rod, translating into longer bearing life. ...and plenty strong enough for the stock or moderately "modded" engine.

Cheers
Thanks for your reply
So you would recommend the 3.3L ? Instead of 4.2?
Old 06-06-2016, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Michelprins1
Thanks for your reply
So you would recommend the 3.3L ? Instead of 4.2?
I know nothing about the 3.3L, so can't comment ... except that you have to consider it's a big 2 ton car and anything less than 300 HP just seems silly to me.

Cheers
Old 06-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.2, no question.

The 2.5 and 3.3 are both diesels. The 2.5 is a V6 and is possibly the worst Audi engine of all time. Only 180hp, yet it weighs the same as the 4.2. The camshafts wear out, then the rockers fall out, then the hydraulic lifters pop out, and then while it's munching up the pieces it loses oil pressure and destroys itself. The engine is more popular in Poland than in the UK, so replacements are easier to get, but do you really want to consider the engine a consumable? No. Run far, far away!

The 3.3 is a V8, and is unique to the D2 and therefore extremely rare and extremely complicated. While it might be an interesting curiosity, and would probably make a ton of torque when tuned, it would be very expensive if anything went wrong.

The 2.8 V6 is underpowered and noisy, and has to be thrashed so hard to get the car to move that it uses more fuel than the V8s. It is bearable with FWD, but who wants an FWD A8? It is probably the cheapest engine to maintain since it was fitted to A4, A6 and Passat so bits a common and cheap, and its fairly easy to fix. Its also pretty much bulletproof. Just boring.

While the 3.7 V8 gets down the road just fine by European standards (with 260hp) and can even achieve 30mpg when treated nicely, you're constantly left wondering how much more fun the 4.2 would have been!
Old 06-07-2016, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finding a clean D2

FWIW, it was a 2.5 year process to find the D2 I have.
Worth ever bit of the effort too! PC
Old 06-08-2016, 01:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne
4.2, no question.

The 2.5 and 3.3 are both diesels. The 2.5 is a V6 and is possibly the worst Audi engine of all time. Only 180hp, yet it weighs the same as the 4.2. The camshafts wear out, then the rockers fall out, then the hydraulic lifters pop out, and then while it's munching up the pieces it loses oil pressure and destroys itself. The engine is more popular in Poland than in the UK, so replacements are easier to get, but do you really want to consider the engine a consumable? No. Run far, far away!

The 3.3 is a V8, and is unique to the D2 and therefore extremely rare and extremely complicated. While it might be an interesting curiosity, and would probably make a ton of torque when tuned, it would be very expensive if anything went wrong.

The 2.8 V6 is underpowered and noisy, and has to be thrashed so hard to get the car to move that it uses more fuel than the V8s. It is bearable with FWD, but who wants an FWD A8? It is probably the cheapest engine to maintain since it was fitted to A4, A6 and Passat so bits a common and cheap, and its fairly easy to fix. Its also pretty much bulletproof. Just boring.

While the 3.7 V8 gets down the road just fine by European standards (with 260hp) and can even achieve 30mpg when treated nicely, you're constantly left wondering how much more fun the 4.2 would have been!
Thanks this helped me a lot! The 2.5 was not really in my mind tho, but I think I will look for a 4.2. So you say that even that the 4.2 uses more diesel than the 3.3 it will still be cheaper to buy the 4.2 because the parts will be easier to replace because the 4.2 is more common?

Quick Reply: Durable engine? 2.5 3.3 or 4.2?