A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S6 vs S6

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 vs S6

Thinking of getting back into the Audi world again. I previously had a 2001 S4 that I bought new and sold 4 years later. There are a few interesting cars near me right now, all for the same price.

2001 S8, 100k miles, original owner, all records
2002 S6, 100k miles, used car dealer
2003 S6, 120k miles, used car dealer, 3/50 warranty

There is also an RS6 with 120k miles but they want twice as much for it.

I've always liked the Avants, but my wife doesn't. The warranty is appealing, but even more appealing is the original owner car. As far as performance goes, it seems they all weigh about the same. The S8 seems to have the advantage of a better rear-end ratio (3.73 vs 2.73?) but the S6 seems to have the advantage of a sport mode transmission. The S8 has been criticized for sluggish shifting.

It's rare that even one of these cars are for sale near me at any particular time. Which would you recommend?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

P.S. Sorry, subject should have read S6 vs S8. I guess this forum doesn't let you edit or delete? If a moderator can fix it it would be great (and then delete this post).
Old 02-21-2015, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

If I was buying, it would be the S8. Why:
  • smoother ride
  • better build quality (interior)
  • more interior room (seating)
  • more exclusive
  • aluminum frame
  • larger trunk
  • 1 owner

I'm guessing parts would cost roughly the same between the S6 and S8. Front control arms will all so be an issue for both S6 and S8. The warranty on the S6 probably wouldn't cover 90% of anything that needs to be fixed. (general wear and tear items)

It seems A8/S8's can go 200,000 miles without any mechanical issues, except the transmission around 150,000 miles, but I believe the S6 has the same ZF transmission. So that could be an issues with either the S6 or S8.

I have read that the transmission issues might be more of an A8 issue than an S8 issue. However that could be wishful thinking on my part, since I own an S8 with 108,000 mile.

Good luck
Old 02-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. The S8 is in much better condition and the history is worth a lot. It does need control arm bushings but that's factored into the price. True, the warranty on the S6 only covers engine and transmission, not all the other stuff that goes wrong, but the transmission seems to be the main issue, and I think it's a problem with all the V8 cars. So that's my main concern. Although without the history on the S6 I'm not sure if the timing belt needs replacing or not, and it does need a new radio unit. Hope to drive the S8 soon.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hemismith
Hope to drive the S8 soon.
Once you do your choice will be clear. Nothing drives like an 8.

I drove my S8 all weekend through the storm here in CO. Chaos outside but with double paned glass and the seat heater on 3, I was oblivious to it. I even turned the ESP off a few times out of boredom.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've lurked here for a long time. Checking in almost daily, to see whose A8 won't start today. Your S6 vs S8 question finally pushed me to register. I'll go introduce myself later.

This is how it is: I may be long dead before they can pry my hands from the wheel of my 2001 S8; so I could be a teensy bit biased. That being said, when you can fly up and down winding mountain roads at high speed, without the slightest hint of drift in cornering; go from 0 to 60 before you hit the exit of the parking lot; and go from 60 to 0 in a sudden traffic slowdown without having to see an airbag, you will never want to drive anything else ever again. My silver S8 currently has 105'000 miles on it, and I have been driving it for seven years. It replaced a '97 pearl white A8 that I dearly loved. For a time, I was lucky enough to be able to look out the kitchen window and see two 8's parked in the driveway, awaiting my pleasure. (That was truly something!) The voice of reason made me sell the '97, but I still wish I had kept it. Now and then, I get to see it around town. (Yes, I am totally enamored of the D2 platform) The only negative that I found in the S8 was that the stock Bose stereo was of lesser quality than the one in the '97 A8. I also miss having the radio controls on the steering wheel; the tiptronic switches replaced them. It happens that I spend more time scanning for new radio stations than downshifting for more acceleration.

That was a very roundabout way to say: get the S8!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

S8. All aluminum luxury and performance.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My friend lost the trans. in his '02 S6 Avant at approx 140K miles. He's working on doing a manual conversion as he's pretty handy.

My S8 is at 120K, the trans has been serviced once or twice, and it still (knock on wood) works fine. These trans. are def. dated 12-14 year old technology, so they don't shift like a new/modern auto, and I catch it occasionally trying to decide which gear, but overall it's not bad. Not Lexus smooth, but not bad.

However, looking back, I'd probably rather have the S6 wagon as it's a similar driving experience and has a ton of cargo space.

But there's something to be said for the aggressive stance of the aluminum space framed S8...

Last edited by Road King; 02-24-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I traded a 00 A6 4.2 on my 01 S8. The A6 4.2 is 90% of the S6 so I feel like I know both cars well. The C5 and D2 chassis drive pretty much the same. Weight is also within a couple hundred pounds with the D2 being less. Performance wise it's a dead heat. You can fit more stuff in an S6. I also think the bigger fender flares on the C5 look better. C5 chassis also has a 1 generation newer interior. That said, I like the S8 better. Back seat room is bigger and I just don't see them anywhere. I've only seen a black and a silver D2 S8 locally in the Detroit metro area.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone for all the great responses! And even though I'm new too welcome to Lady in an S8; I'm sure everyone is glad to hear your thoughts. I haven't had a chance to drive the S8 yet. My wife is pushing for something a little newer, so I might end up keeping my car and getting her a newer non-S model. But we'll see.

Quick Reply: S6 vs S6