A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips - not driving car for 8 months ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tips - not driving car for 8 months ?

So I'm leaving my D2 for 8 months. It will be at my parents place, <b>outside</b> but in a private parking lot in their condo complex. They hopefully will be able to drive it every couple of weeks but I'm looking for ways to make sure she's still drivable on my return. The weather here in winter in the Boulder/Denver area can get very cold for a week or so but the sun always is out.

Thought about a solar charger thingy that fits on the window BUT they all seem to have to be removed when you run the vehicle
Temporary window tint to keep the sun off her nice leather seats.
I have jumper cables in the back ( I can just see people scratching their heads looking for the battery in the front of the car!)
Tires are old beater snows
Fresh synthetic oil change.
Coolant topped up.

<b>Probably the battery charge is the biggest issue right? </b>

Other crazy ideas:

<li>Rent it out on one of those private car renting sites
<li>Sell her for $2k
<li>Temporary home for refugees (non militant types)

Your thoughts?
Old 11-20-2015, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit of fuel stabiliser wouldn't go astray - especially if you've got an ethanol blend in your tank (I would fill it with a non ethanol fuel if available in your area).
Oil stabiliser isn't as necessary, especially with fresh oil, but knock yourself out if you wish

As you're parking it outside, give it a wax and put some protective stuff on the dashboard and door cards and some leather protectant on your seats.

As you're considering a solar charger, I take it you won't have access to power? Solar chargers are a lot better than they used to be, so if you're going that route, buy a good one. Some plug into the cigarette lighter - no good on a D2 as the lighters are ignition switched.
If you can get power to the car, a maintenance charger is a better idea.
Or, buy a portable jump starter and keep it plugged in in your dad's garage. Show him how to use it.
...record your radio code - you'll probably need it!

Provided the car is being moved occasionally, I wouldn't worry about too much else.
Proper pressure in the tyres for sitting so long may be a concern. If your Dad can check those, then there's no problem! If you have a battery compressor, chuck it in the boot and show your Dad how to use it.

Otherwise, just park it and walk away.

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 11-20-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wash the underside from any/all salt and corrosive materials. Most important to do so. Not sure what year your car is, but once the rust starts, sitting still will accelerate the process.