A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do I obtain a gasket for the S8 drive shaft CV joint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I obtain a gasket for the S8 drive shaft CV joint?

My baby is spending a spa fortnight on the automotive lift in the garage. So far, the car has received the timing belt service, and there has been a steady progression aftward through the myriad oil seeps that have appeared in inaccessible places over the years. The current elusive part is the gasket for the drive shaft CV joint to output flange.

Web searches have all dead-ended in nothing. Before I head to O'Reilly's for a roll of gasket paper, I thought I would ask if anyone here had had better success locating this part. (the local stealership parts guy did not even know what an S8 was.....! His question to me: "Is that a Mercedes?")

I hope one of you has had better success sourcing this gasket and can point me in the right direction. TIA.

By the end of next week, I should have an almost brand new car. At the very least, a less embarrassing one: the stink from the seeps dripping on the exhaust was pretty obnoxious.

Suzanne
Old 04-14-2016, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure exactly what you are looking for. These links might help:

Gearbox Audi A8Q 2002 gasket set 5-speed automatic gearbox, complete -----5HP24 ZF------- 4.2 ltr. ECZ,ECY,EDG, ESX,FBE,FBF, FBH,FGS,FBG, FUM,FUN,FUU

Gearbox Audi A8Q 2002 gear housing for 5-speed automatic gearbox ---QU.--5-HP-24------------- 4.2 ltr. 3.3 ltr. 6.0LTR. ECZ,ECY,FBE, FBG,FMU ESX,FBH,FUU FGS
Old 04-14-2016, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady in an S8
My baby is spending a spa fortnight on the automotive lift in the garage. So far, the car has received the timing belt service, and there has been a steady progression aftward through the myriad oil seeps that have appeared in inaccessible places over the years. The current elusive part is the gasket for the drive shaft CV joint to output flange.

Web searches have all dead-ended in nothing. Before I head to O'Reilly's for a roll of gasket paper, I thought I would ask if anyone here had had better success locating this part. (the local stealership parts guy did not even know what an S8 was.....! His question to me: "Is that a Mercedes?")

I hope one of you has had better success sourcing this gasket and can point me in the right direction. TIA.

By the end of next week, I should have an almost brand new car. At the very least, a less embarrassing one: the stink from the seeps dripping on the exhaust was pretty obnoxious.

Suzanne
You are likely looking for this seal:

Transmission Output Shaft Seal DPH
Part number: "018 409 399 B"

Audi changed the output flange a while back to prevent premature failure. Not necessary in my opinion. Old seal lasts 70k+ miles if installed correctly.
Tranny output flange and seal upgrade.....the answers.

Got any pictures of the S8?

BTW here is the DIY procedure, if you need it.
A8 Transmission Seal Replacement

Last edited by TerminA8r; 04-14-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think he is looking for the paper gasket that goes on the end of some driveshafts... for what it's worth my d2 didn't have one.

-Richard

Originally Posted by TerminA8r
You are likely looking for this seal:

Transmission Output Shaft Seal DPH
Part number: "018 409 399 B"

Audi changed the output flange a while back to prevent premature failure. Not necessary in my opinion. Old seal lasts 70k+ miles if installed correctly.
Tranny output flange and seal upgrade.....the answers.

Got any pictures of the S8?

BTW here is the DIY procedure, if you need it.
A8 Transmission Seal Replacement

Old 04-14-2016, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Order the transmission output seal for a 2000 VW Passat V6 4Motion. The Timken part number is 224052.

For the seal... this is the easiest part # to cross reference.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmmm, maybe so.
Anyways, from the description in the thread I still think a new output seal is needed.

"The stink from the seeps dripping on the exhaust was pretty obnoxious."

Sounds a lot like the common output seal leak to me. And like you, none of my D2's have the paper gasket either.

Last edited by TerminA8r; 04-14-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you! The parts catalogue link you provided led to the the correct part number for the gasket. I'm bookmarking the link because it is bound to provide much useful information in the future.

For anyone else who might have trouble obtaining a transmission output flange to drive shaft CV joint gasket, the number is: 183-521-141-A and the local stealership had it in stock for $30 (the only one available in the area). Without the number, the stealership would still not have been any help: "I don't think that's one of our parts!" ...(looks it up in the computer) ...."Oh, yeah, it is; and we have ONE."
Old 04-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you, Termin8tor - we had already changed the output shaft seal, but wanted a fresh gasket before bolting everything back together. There was an old gasket, and it was pretty squashed.

Was it disassembled or exterior pictures of the S8 that were of interest? (I ask because the engine compartment is starting to look sparkling clean with all the work that has been done around the timing belt change). I don't usually photograph my car, so don't have any 'pretty' shots of the exterior. I can get some when it is back down off the lift.

Thank you, audinutt, for your input as well.
Puzzling that your other D2s did not have the gasket....This is a 2001.

I really appreciate that you guys jumped right on this thread, so I could get the part right away.

This really is an extremely useful forum.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lady in an S8
Thank you, Termin8tor - we had already changed the output shaft seal, but wanted a fresh gasket before bolting everything back together. There was an old gasket, and it was pretty squashed.

Was it disassembled or exterior pictures of the S8 that were of interest? (I ask because the engine compartment is starting to look sparkling clean with all the work that has been done around the timing belt change). I don't usually photograph my car, so don't have any 'pretty' shots of the exterior. I can get some when it is back down off the lift.

Thank you, audinutt, for your input as well.
Puzzling that your other D2s did not have the gasket....This is a 2001.

I really appreciate that you guys jumped right on this thread, so I could get the part right away.

This really is an extremely useful forum.
I'd like to see it on the lift, maybe the clean engine compartment, timing belt job?

FYI, here is a good place for Stealer parts in the future:
audiUSAparts.com
Old 04-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TerminA8r
I'd like to see it on the lift, maybe the clean engine compartment, timing belt job?

FYI, here is a good place for Stealer parts in the future:
audiUSAparts.com

New timing belt in place. Crankshaft and cam shaft seals replaced. New valve cover gaskets. Resealed the oil pan.

CV joint boots are next. I'll try to get more photos as the work progresses.

Many thanks for the parts link! The gasket would have been half the price, but it would not be installed already.

We're off to the post office to pick up more parts!

Oops! I need to be more careful about where I insert photos.

Quick Reply: Where do I obtain a gasket for the S8 drive shaft CV joint?