A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 audi a8 parking brake warning light

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed My Issue!

The "Parking Brake!" warning had been persisting in my instrument cluster, and I got a nice bald rear-right tire out of the deal!

So I finally took the plunge and got VCDS and the cable, was able to work through all the steps discussed before:
  • open for repair
  • cleaned the connection with contact cleaner
  • wrapped connection with friction tape to keep out water and dirt
  • closed after repair with VCDS
  • ran the brake pad thickness adaptation (value had reset to 3)
  • ran the function test
  • ran the longitudinal acceleration sensor test (didn't seem to do anything)

And finally tried to clear the codes.

They didn't clear on the first try, but I ran the function test a few more times as suggested, and they finally cleared! I ran a full Auto Scan just to make sure, and NO MORE faults!

Thanks again to this forum! What a great community we've got going!

Last edited by zjw8407; 05-25-2016 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got this error on my car also...the warning light comes up and the only code showing in VCDS is 02443. Did rear brakes about 4-5 months ago without an issue until the other day when I applied the parking brake and got the error. Tried to clear after doing the function test, which seemed to function fine, but code wouldn't clear; came right back. What exactly is longitudinal test? Should I have to do that also to see if code goes away?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:54 AM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike141
Just got this error on my car also...the warning light comes up and the only code showing in VCDS is 02443. Did rear brakes about 4-5 months ago without an issue until the other day when I applied the parking brake and got the error. Tried to clear after doing the function test, which seemed to function fine, but code wouldn't clear; came right back. What exactly is longitudinal test? Should I have to do that also to see if code goes away?
drive the car around and try again.... sometimes it auto clear..... if not eun the basic adaptation and put in less mm for the brakes since you had it for a while, new brakes is 12mm so put like 6/7 mm
Old 05-31-2016, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went to apply parking brake after a short ride, it went on and wiped off the warning light! Then I released it with no issue. Strange but problem solved!
Old 06-01-2016, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=zjw8407;24815845]
  • wrapped connection with friction tape to keep out water and dirt
Friction tape does not provide protection from moisture. Vinyl tape does. Leave the friction tape on it and add a layer of vinyl tape to keep out moisture.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So the procedure you're talking about is on the Vag-com? And can i reprogram my air suspension with the Vag-com?
Old 06-16-2016, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Khachatur Kocharyan
So the procedure you're talking about is on the Vag-com? And can i reprogram my air suspension with the Vag-com?
Yes

Yes you can but I don't advise it. There is some evidence to indicate that lowering the suspension beyond Audi's recommend range hastens strut failure.

When the suspension is set to dynamic (sport and lowered) the warning light is illuminated for a few seconds at start to remind you that the ground clearance is very small. I went over a speed bump in a parking lot with the car in dynamic mode once at a little beyond dead slow (about 5 mph). The frame impacted the speed bump just behind the front wheel. There was no damage but it certainly didn't feel good.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh im not trying to lower it just reprogram it to the factory specs. I replaced my left front air shock and need to reprogram it, the yellow suspension light comes on after driving it for like 15 minutes. And the air compressor keeps kicking on
Old 06-16-2016, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts

There is no reprogramming or resetting after replacing an air suspension part. If compressor is coming on frequently you (still) have a leak. If it just stays on for a long time but suspension does not seem to be dropping when car just sits, the relay may be fused. Then compressor only turns off when the safety shut off kicks in--which would fry it before long.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
There is no reprogramming or resetting after replacing an air suspension part. If compressor is coming on frequently you (still) have a leak. If it just stays on for a long time but suspension does not seem to be dropping when car just sits, the relay may be fused. Then compressor only turns off when the safety shut off kicks in--which would fry it before long.

My car does not drop at all. Even after two days of sitting. So your saying it's the relay?

Quick Reply: 04 audi a8 parking brake warning light