A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

after 1yr of searching...I found the W12 for me !

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or a 10
Old 02-08-2017, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome thread! Glad to see more W12's on the forums. Give me a couple years and I'll join in

Looking at a D3 4.2 for now. (By the time I step up to a W12, the D5 will be out, probably in it's last couple years of production).
Don't know if I will choose a D3 6.0 or a D4 6.3...

I don't think anyone on these forums has one (D4 W12). (don't quote me on that, I could be terribly wrong). However there is just something about the D3, every time I see one, I stare in admiration...

You sir, have an AMAZING automobile there!
Ohh... And where did you get those rear footrests?
I MUST get some for mine when I get it.

Last edited by TeamHate; 02-08-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 02-08-2017, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamHate
Awesome thread! Glad to see more W12's on the forums. Give me a couple years and I'll join in

Looking at a D3 4.2 for now. (By the time I step up to a W12, the D5 will be out, probably in it's last couple years of production).

I don't think anyone on these forums has one (D4 W12). (don't quote me on that, I could be terribly wrong). However there is just something about the D3, every time I see one, I stare in admiration...

Being on the D4 forum and D3 W12 alum, I can confirm I think there are zero W12's there or any other US centric forum. Not even sure I have ever seen an owner D4 W12 post historically for that matter. It sort of got eclipsed in short order by not just the S8 but also the straight A8 4.0T. The D3 debate was more the skaken or stirred as between S8 and W12, but either nicely done and pretty neck and neck high performance for era. Different picture though w/ D4 set. I doubt they have even sold many either. A CA dealer has had 2015 one since new and now with about 900 test miles on it--I saw it in ads starting almost a year ago now in looking for my S8 after it was already on market a while. Still unsold apparently, now for like 18 months, and with an offer price already down like 45 grand. The early ones (2013's) already went to below half new value even a year ago. The best are the 2015+'s with both facelift and a very slick 12 to 6 cylinder on demand set up that rotates the active cylinders (unlike the 4.0T), but by 2015 they seem to hardly exist, and even the CA dealer can't move theirs (4 seater) in 18 months.

I looked at them (no further than ad searches) for both nostalgia and genuine interest in uniqueness. But like awdinut, I had a different corner case spec. No black exterior but for sure no black interior. That takes out 80-90 % of market. B&O even in that price range surprisingly takes out maybe ⅓ of what's left. Then five seater that I wanted after the five people in a four seater dilemma got old a few too many times for such a big and luxurious ride. Probably 90% plus seem to be four seaters. Plus empty nester so less need for everyday luxo back seat now. So I was looking for a unicorn. Never saw one come up a full country wide search for a year plus of checking. One got close, but no B&O or a few other options I preferred, and it was all the way across the country from me (PA).

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-08-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Being on the D4 forum and D3 W12 alum, I can confirm I think there are zero W12's there or any other US centric forum. Not even sure I have ever seen an owner D4 W12 post historically for that matter. It sort of got eclipsed in short order by not just the S8 but also the straight A8 4.0T. The D3 debate was more the skaken or stirred as between S8 and W12, but either nicely done and pretty neck and neck high performance for era. Different picture though w/ D4 set. I doubt they have even sold many either. A CA dealer has had 2015 one since new and now with about 900 test miles on it--I saw it in ads starting almost a year ago now in looking for my S8 after it was already on market a while. Still unsold apparently, now for like 18 months, and with an offer price already down like 45 grand. The early ones (2013's) already went to below half new value even a year ago. The best are the 2015+'s with both facelift and a very slick 12 to 6 cylinder on demand set up that rotates the active cylinders (unlike the 4.0T), but by 2015 they seem to hardly exist, and even the CA dealer can't move theirs (4 seater) in 18 months.

I looked at them (no further than ad searches) for both nostalgia and genuine interest in uniqueness. But like awdinut, I had a different corner case spec. No black exterior but for sure no black interior. That takes out 80-90 % of market. B&O even in that price range surprisingly takes out maybe ⅓ of what's left. Then five seater that I wanted after the five people in a four seater dilemma got old a few too many times for such a big and luxurious ride. Probably 90% plus seem to be four seaters. Plus empty nester so less need for everyday luxo back seat now. So I was looking for a unicorn. Never saw one come up a full country wide search for a year plus of checking. One got close, but no B&O or a few other options I preferred, and it was all the way across the country from me (PA).
Yup, just as I assumed. I would honestly do it just for the rarity of it.
Maintenance and other stuff, would probably be similar to the older 6.0 W12. And other stuff (suspension, body, electrical) could come from the D4. You are right about the pricing. They are insanely rare and the dealers are practically giving them away! I don't think I've ever seen an D4 A8L 6.3 with over 40k miles, and they are as cheap as 40-50k, coming from $135K+ just 4 years ago. I suspect when the new 6.0TT W12 drops in the D5, it will further send the prices down the spiral... That would make it a great buy.

I would also get the W12 over the others because of the over-complexity of the 4.0T engines. Have you SEEN that damn thing without the engine cover haha?! I don't even think I could do sparkies.

Whereas the 6.3 probably looks like it's the old: "Remove intake manifold procedure" that you have posted in the past. Plus I've heard the W12 itself is a ROCK, and if maintained properly, will run indefinitely.

Who knows though... perhaps in years' time I will still settle for the classic lines of the D3.

Last edited by TeamHate; 02-08-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 02-08-2017, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

)...
I would also get the W12 over the others because of the over-complexity of the 4.0T engines. Have you SEEN that damn thing without the engine cover haha?! I don't even think I could do sparkies.

Whereas the 6.3 probably looks like it's the old: "Remove intake manifold procedure" that you have posted in the past. Plus I've heard the W12 itself is a ROCK, and if maintained properly, will run indefinitely.
My avatar pic is that motor with top cover removed. Actually very clean. What can be confusing is the turbos sit in the V so the exhaust is flipped compared to normal. Makes it a relative cakewalk on anything exhaust related compared to anything D3 in any motor. Plugs are visible and accessible just not seen in pictures. Oil filter is easy too--though D3 W12 is a pice of cake completely underneath compared to D3 4.2 pain in neck. 4.0T/S8 is a little more nested/protected and vertical underneath, but still the brain dead faux eco plastic shell baloney that just gets oil everywhere. D4 belly pan is easier to pull than D3 in general too. A zillion fasteners, but less finicky for positioning relative to combo of sides and front. As usual, I'm probably about the first oil filter they sold to anyone but the service dept. still under warranty.

D5 W12 motor (already shown) will get it seriously back in game. Blown, and basically next step for the W12 from the Bentley side that has been blown for years. They should really cook those underhood plastics nice and toasty! And yes, at last plug change when I had them out on W12, plugs all every clean. Intake valves (on a port injected motor) pristine when I had even the riser off very close in to valves to do the thermostat, itself a lot to easier than at least belt 4.2 afterthought/Rube Goldberg design. Burned no oil between changes at 120K miles even at 9-10K cycle, not even a partial quart. As carl said, gotta own a W/V12 at least once in life. Add a serious twin turbo V8 to that...

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-08-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
My avatar pic is that motor with top cover removed. Actually very clean. What can be confusing is the turbos sit in the V to the exhaust is flipped compared to normal. Makes it a relative cakewalk on anything exhaust related compared to anything D3 in any motor. Plugs are visible and accessible just not seen in pictures. Oil filter is easy too--though D3 W12 is a pice of cake completely underneath compared to D3 4.2 pain in neck. 4.0T/S8 is a little more nested/protected and vertical underneath, but still the brain dead faux eco plastic shell baloney that just gets oil everywhere. D4 belly pan is easier to pull than D3 in general too. A zillion fasteners, but less finicky for positioning relative to combo of sides and front. As usual, I'm probably about the first oil filter they sold to anyone but the service dept. still under warranty.

D5 W12 motor (already shown) will get it seriously back in game. Blown, and basically next step for the W12 from the Bentley side that has been blown for years. They should really cook those underhood plastics nice and toasty! And yes, at last plug change when I had them out on W12, plugs all every clean. Intake valves (on a port injected motor) pristine when I had even the riser off very close in to valves to do the thermostat, itself a lot to easier than at least belt 4.2 afterthought/Rube Goldberg design. Burned no oil between changes at 120K miles even at 9-10K cycle, not even a partial quart. As carl said, gotta own a W/V12 at least once in life. Add a serious twin turbo V8 to that...
Good to hear the W12 is a very nice engine! I was not aware of all those things on the 4.0T. Glad I was a bit wrong lol.

I just hope the 6.0TT in the D5 W12 doesn't impact the durability of the W12. (I don't frankly see how as Bentley has used a Twin Turbo W12 for almost 15 years now).

All that said, I think the D5 will make the D4 W12's a helluva deal in due time. And I would still go for one of those. Especially with the DARK brown leather interior with white piping.... uffff.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Thankyou for the kind words...

and, to answer your question, the foot rests are from the German version of the Audi EXCLUSIVE catalog.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
...I wanted an Amaretto interior because its my favorite and so I can transfer the Maple Copper wood and also the tray tables from my 4.2 Amaretto interior. And I wanted a Brilliant Silver exterior. But the odds were against me...my budget would only stretch to 2006 and there were only two of that color combo imported in 2005 and only three in 2006. And of those 5 it had to be one in great condition...
Geez! Talk about oneupmanship!

I know "Awdinut" pretty well, having spent two slightly stressful days (stressful for him) driving around Nashville. He's about as personable, calm and interesting a person as I've met. The two stressful parts were finding a hotel room when the CMAs were in town, and his reason for the little "layover" - he had found and bought a sweet very new A8L for a client, and the suspension called it quits ~four hours into the trip home. He had it towed to Audi Nashville, who gave him the usual "We will replace everything it could be, and then when it's still not fixed, we'll replace one more component which we should've checked first". IIRC the estimate was close to $10K.

Somehow we got in contact and I told him about a great mechanic to whom I've sent other Audiheads and who is honest, as evidenced by the fact that of the 4-5 people I had referred there, all had ended up getting their cars fixed for about 10% of the dealer estimate! I met up with him at the $tealer and he had it flatbedded to my friend's shop, and the repair came in around the same percentage.

Now the oneupmanship part. I told him my dream car for now was a Sage green A8L, a color which was only offered in 2004, but without the typical (for the Sage cars) beige interior (which i thought would look washed-out with the very light green paint). Told him I'd prefer 4-zone climate control and "turbine" wheels. He said I'd never find it, and that it was my "Unicorn", haha. Well, one came up for sale; not only nearby, but low miles, perfect shape, four-zone, and the unobtanium BLACK interior! Mr Awdinut told me to call the "A8 concierge" at AoA and see how many were sold in the US with that combination. Spoke to a delightful CSR named "Gabby" (Gabriella) who sent me an Email reporting Total sales of the 2004MY for A8Ls was 7,654. Of those, 121 were Sage Green (a color only offered in 2004). And for my unicorn? Only FIVE were sold with my color combination!

So now this self-proclaimed "nut" (appropriately so) gets what's pretty much an albino unicorn of which only TWO were sold! (actually, I guess it'd be a black unicorn, since every unicorn I've seen is white ).
IMHO He deserves it, he's a nice guy, nice wife, and quite a perfectionist, a quality I find admirable. So, Saint Awdinut, I bow to your superior unicorniness.

Now lemme flog that beast next time you're in Nashville!

-Tom
Old 02-09-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by awdinut
and, to answer your question, the foot rests are from the German version of the Audi EXCLUSIVE catalog.
Ok nice. I'll try finding it. I've looked all over ever since I saw a couple on google images.

They really add to the appearance of it. I've also seen some with little custom pillows. THAT'S awesome
Old 02-09-2017, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Geez! Talk about oneupmanship!

I know "Awdinut" pretty well, having spent two slightly stressful days (stressful for him) driving around Nashville. He's about as personable, calm and interesting a person as I've met. The two stressful parts were finding a hotel room when the CMAs were in town, and his reason for the little "layover" - he had found and bought a sweet very new A8L for a client, and the suspension called it quits ~four hours into the trip home. He had it towed to Audi Nashville, who gave him the usual "We will replace everything it could be, and then when it's still not fixed, we'll replace one more component which we should've checked first". IIRC the estimate was close to $10K.

Somehow we got in contact and I told him about a great mechanic to whom I've sent other Audiheads and who is honest, as evidenced by the fact that of the 4-5 people I had referred there, all had ended up getting their cars fixed for about 10% of the dealer estimate! I met up with him at the $tealer and he had it flatbedded to my friend's shop, and the repair came in around the same percentage.

Now the oneupmanship part. I told him my dream car for now was a Sage green A8L, a color which was only offered in 2004, but without the typical (for the Sage cars) beige interior (which i thought would look washed-out with the very light green paint). Told him I'd prefer 4-zone climate control and "turbine" wheels. He said I'd never find it, and that it was my "Unicorn", haha. Well, one came up for sale; not only nearby, but low miles, perfect shape, four-zone, and the unobtanium BLACK interior! Mr Awdinut told me to call the "A8 concierge" at AoA and see how many were sold in the US with that combination. Spoke to a delightful CSR named "Gabby" (Gabriella) who sent me an Email reporting Total sales of the 2004MY for A8Ls was 7,654. Of those, 121 were Sage Green (a color only offered in 2004). And for my unicorn? Only FIVE were sold with my color combination!

So now this self-proclaimed "nut" (appropriately so) gets what's pretty much an albino unicorn of which only TWO were sold! (actually, I guess it'd be a black unicorn, since every unicorn I've seen is white ).
IMHO He deserves it, he's a nice guy, nice wife, and quite a perfectionist, a quality I find admirable. So, Saint Awdinut, I bow to your superior unicorniness.

Now lemme flog that beast next time you're in Nashville!

-Tom
I saw one of those sage greens once. I was leaving school to get some food. I saw it gliding down the freeway. I thought "Hmm... That is a WEIRD color on an A8!" Keep in mind, weird in a good way. I had NEVER seen something like that before. And the chances of seeing one again are slim-to-none since now I know they were only offered for 2004.

So my man, you have an insanely rare car! The person that ordered it new probably had the same unicorn mentality. They were trying to build an A8 that no one else would probably have.

Congrats, you are a lucky man! I hope to do the same with an A8 someday.

Quick Reply: after 1yr of searching...I found the W12 for me !