A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMI Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AMI Questions

Installing Ami in glove box, and will replace serious radio in trunk with CD player as I don't use it. See a lot of talk about Tune2Air. I use Android, so do I need model wms2000. Can I control the music from the MMI or do I need to use phone to change tracks, skip forward/reverse etc.? I would certainly prefer the MMI control option. Should I not use Bluetooth and simply use 3.5 jack? What about the USB option and using ipod or pen drive. Would appreciate knowing how others are using this and what their preferences are.
Might anyone have cables for sale like Tune2air, USB, or 3.5.

Last edited by Pointman911; 09-24-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So why would you move the CD player from the glove box to the trunk? Just leave everything alone. If you don't use the XM/Sirius then just ignore it or get one of their 6 months for free specials. I happen to like XM/Sirius especially on long trips. I can listen to NPR, News, etc without having to search for fringe stations.

If you want to use Bluetooth audio, you might be disappointed. Personally I have not found a bluetooth adapter that has good audio quality. I have the Audi USB-> Bluetooth receiver and it basically sucks.

The 3.5 jack is OK, but you will have to fiddle with your remote device to change music selections, etc.

What I did was to buy a Seagate 1TB USB drive and load it up with music. Between that and XM, I am pretty happy. If you want a dedicated internet streaming source, I suggest you get a spare phone and leave it in the car. When you get in your car with your smartphone, enable the hotspot and then the spare phone will connect and play.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Placing the CD player in the trunk would allow me to install AMI in glove box without purchasing $172 Fiber/Power cable.
I would like to be able to interact with input device through MMI if possible. Probably have to use ipod or USB drive then.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Smart and efficient play... Congrats

Very good idea, but finding the place in the trunk for those short cables is a little difficult. Please post the pictures when it's done.

Cheers,

Louis
Originally Posted by Pointman911
Placing the CD player in the trunk would allow me to install AMI in glove box without purchasing $172 Fiber/Power cable.
I would like to be able to interact with input device through MMI if possible. Probably have to use ipod or USB drive then.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

The AMI will go in the glove box. The CD player goes into trunk and replaces Sat. Radio. No short cables in trunk.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I didn't have the SAT radio, just the short cables

Originally Posted by Pointman911
The AMI will go in the glove box. The CD player goes into trunk and replaces Sat. Radio. No short cables in trunk.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think the CD changer has to be mounted horizontally. If you can do that then you are OK.

All of the AMI cables are short so finding long ones will be a real challenge. Running long 3.5 mm cables is not advisable due to audio interference. That audio interference is why auto makers went with the MOST fiber optic system.

The AMI does not like USB hubs and will not work with them. The AMI does not like SSDs either. USB thumb drives are OK.

You could sell the Satellite receiver and pay for most of the cost of the jumpers, etc needed to put the AMI and CD changer in the glove box.

You could also send the original seller a message and ask him for the cables, etc that were supposed to come with the AMI.

Last edited by richard-tx; 09-24-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by richard-tx
I think the CD changer has to be mounted horizontally. If you can do that then you are OK.

All of the AMI cables are short so finding long ones will be a real challenge. Running long 3.5 mm cables is not advisable due to audio interference. That audio interference is why auto makers went with the MOST fiber optic system.

The AMI does not like USB hubs and will not work with them. The AMI does not like SSDs either. USB thumb drives are OK.

You could sell the Satellite receiver and pay for most of the cost of the jumpers, etc needed to put the AMI and CD changer in the glove box.

You could also send the original seller a message and ask him for the cables, etc that were supposed to come with the AMI.
Emailed original seller for what good that might do. Worth a try though, might get lucky. Hope I can use CD player in vertical position, will try. Ordered 1.5m cable with 3.5 and female USB. Will be using thumb drive with USB and phone to stream from internet with 3.5 - I will try to snake 3.5 cables under console or just under the edge and lay phone under arm rest.
Hope I can access thumb drive via MMI.
If your not happy with your AMI Bluetooth device, maybe you would like to sell it cheap? It's probably hard wired into AMI cable though.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think you should take it one step at a time. Start with the AMI USB cable and put some tunes on a thumb drive.

Keep in mind that to do bluetooth, you will need a receiver that converts Bluetooth A2DP to USB. Audi made a USB to Bluetooth adapter. If you want one I have one that I will sell you. $150 shipped Part number 4F0051510J

I remember reading about the CD changer and seem to recall that it has to be horizontal. Maybe you got lucky and have a unit that can be played in any direction.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Rich, for that price on fiber/power cable, I ordered it. Upgraded MMI and connected AMI today. 3.5 jack works great but USB does not recognize thumb drive. Formated FAT32, 8 gig. I assume I am missing something. Something need to be done with VCDS? Any help would be appreciated. Cable has USB and 3.5, wonder is USB is just crap. It doesn't charge with that cable either.

Just thinking! I installed AMI after MMI Upgrade, do I need to run disk again with AMI installed? Is there possibly prices not installed in upgrade due to it not seeing AMI unit?

Last edited by Pointman911; 10-01-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: AMI Questions