A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft position sensor:

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the one next to the intake manifold?
Old 09-23-2016, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes. Information seems confusing on whether B is intake or exhaust. But Giovanni is almost always correct.

So in conclusion it's the passenger side intake sensor. Swap it and clear the code. If that doesn't work then try swapping the exhaust sensor on the passenger side.

Please report back what your final results are.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
Yes. Information seems confusing on whether B is intake or exhaust. But Giovanni is almost always correct.

So in conclusion it's the passenger side intake sensor. Swap it and clear the code. If that doesn't work then try swapping the exhaust sensor on the passenger side.

Rgr that....doing it now.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by J450NP13
So the one next to the intake manifold?
I think I now understand that you do not know which cam is the intake and which is the exhaust, the intake cam is the top one by the intake manifold, and the exhaust is at the bottom by the exhaust manifold, NOW there are 4 cam position sensors also known as "Hall Senders", two for each head (bank), they are G40 - G163 - G300 - G301, NOW because after my researching shows way to many variables as to the placement of each sensor by "G" number, and many have said even the Bentley manual is wrong as it list all four on one bank, which can not be, SO I was just searching "G300" and returned mostly stating that it is the "Intake sensor" but a few stating "No, it's the exhaust", SO, why not swap the two on bank 1 and see if the bad sensor code moves to one of the other "G" numbers.

BUT Bank 1 is 100% passenger side USA.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
I think I now understand that you do not know which cam is the intake and which is the exhaust, the intake cam is the top one by the intake manifold, and the exhaust is at the bottom by the exhaust manifold, NOW there are 4 cam position sensors also known as "Hall Senders", two for each head (bank), they are G40 - G163 - G300 - G301, NOW because after my researching shows way to many variables as to the placement of each sensor by "G" number, and many have said even the Bentley manual is wrong as it list all four on one bank, which can not be, SO I was just searching "G300" and returned mostly stating that it is the "Intake sensor" but a few stating "No, it's the exhaust", SO, why not swap the two on bank 1 and see if the bad sensor code moves to one of the other "G" numbers.

BUT Bank 1 is 100% passenger side USA.

+1

At least they are easy to swap. I've read threads where people made the mistake on which bank is which and swapped out cam chain tensioners on the BFM motor only to find they swapped the wrong one. That would make for a bad day.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was assuming it means the intake manifold side but I didn't see anywhere the other one being the exhaust side.

I've only had this car a few months or so....so I'm still getting use to it.

I changed the intake side sensor....re-scanned....it dropped the code.

Thanks for the help and patients guys.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by the_duke

Hello Duke,

Sorry I started my post, but then went to something else and came back without noticing your post, you are correct, the info as to which is intake or exhaust is all over the place, no straight answers, even some SSP's show all the "G" numbers, but not answer we seek, and the Bentley manual as stated by many post I read claimed to have them all listed to the drivers bank (bank 2)........

And Thank YOU for the compliment !!! I try.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by J450NP13
I changed the intake side sensor....re-scanned....it dropped the code.

Thanks for the help and patients guys.
That's Bellissimo !!
Old 09-23-2016, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
That's Bellissimo !!
And gals?
Lol
Old 09-23-2016, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member