A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carista: VAG-specific diagnostics and coding through a smartphone app

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

How does the Blues Brothers song go; What do you want for nothing; Rubber biscuit? You get what you pay for.

I'd worry about bricking a module with that stuff. Look for Ross Tech to pull down their reference materials so COmpaNies that knock off hardware can't ride on the coattails of others without employing talent to perform research.

I do like the Hipster girl in the Carista ads though.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm

That's kind of uncaused for, the youngsters would call it hatin'. Me, I'll just say what it is, a purist who doesn't want to adjust to things moving forward and costing less. Ross tech isn't the pioneer of OBD2 modules in audi or anything else. I've used the cheap stuff plenty on other newer expensive cars without problems, so brick the module I think not. It's a new age, where things are cost effective and just as easy to use, no one wants to play Oregon trail anymore.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Whatever you say.
I'll go with incorrect diagnosis and incomplete operations as some expect to be able to change module settings but cannot as the drivers are not operating as the vehicle designers intended.

Even a dinosaur like me knows a few things about SAE (30 year member), DIN and CAN diagnostics.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I think a novice would be more likely to brick a module with VCDS than Carista. All Carista is doing is adding some of the simple tasks to an app. The diagnostic feature is the seller for me. If it can pull a full scan without me having to drag out the laptop I'm sold. I live in a remote area of Montana and I always end up traveling 500+ miles to buy an Audi. It's way more convenient to carry my phone and a small dongle that to drag along the laptop and a cable. I don't see Carista giving their app the capabilities of VCDS. They just program it to do simple stuff like seat belt warnings and hopefully the ability to reset service reminders and retract rear brake calipers.

On a side note I can't get the windows to go up or down with the remote either and I'm using VCDS. Anyone have advice?
Old 07-15-2015, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
On a side note I can't get the windows to go up or down with the remote either and I'm using VCDS. Anyone have advice?
Did you activate Front, Rear, and Sunroof in MMI settings menu under windows ?
Attached Images  

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 07-15-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:23 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so all the hating aside, let me address the questions that were brought up:

1) About the "DETAILED SCAN" on an A8: we have a known issue and we've fixed it internally, should have a beta version with the fix within a couple of days. I'll post about it here so you guys can try it if you wish.

2) About the windows: note that besides the regular window opening/closing settings via the remote, there's also a general setting called "Enable settings for opening/closing windows and sunroof" which must also be enabled in order for the whole "comfort windows" feature to work. If that still doesn't work, please send us a report through the app and we'll investigate this further with data from your specific car. Here's how to send a report: click CUSTOMIZE, when it's done loading, go back to Carista's main screen, open the slide-out menu from the left, pick "Report a problem" and send the report. Thanks.

3) Why would an "AudiWorld Super User" assume that we don't do the right research... without knowing anything about our company? We do research and test everything that we do, and we also have an enthusiastic community of beta-testers who vet all our new customizations and other features before they get released officially. And for the record, we don't make "knock off hardware" - our hardware has nothing to do with VCDS and is not compatible with their software.

4) I'll tell the hipster girl you like the ads

5) Carista lets you change only things that we've determined to be actual settings. It doesn't let you change arbitrary bytes and bits like other computer software does. So you're a lot more likely to brick something with their software. And I'm not even bringing up the ease-of-use and the fact that you don't have to know about ECUs, coding, adaptations, bytes, etc. when you use Carista.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

my Carista odb2 arrived yesterday, I hooked it up bought the app last night.

First impressions are good. The UI is clean and easy to navigate. And it discovered the error codes, which I knew were there. I too hit the "Detailed Scan" bug. I was able to silence the seat belt chime and found it quiet convenient overall.

Best Regards,

Michael.

Last edited by mwalshe2000; 07-15-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwalshe2000
Hi all,

my Carista odb2 arrived yesterday, I hooked it up bought the app last night.

First impressions are good. The UI is clean and easy to navigate. And it discovered the error codes, which I knew were there. I too hit the "Detailed Scan" bug. I was able to silence the seat belt chime and found it quiet convenient overall.

Best Regards,

Michael.

Good to hear! Thanks for your purchase and stay tuned for an update that fixes the detailed scan bug.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Did you activate Front, Rear, and Sunroof in MMI settings menu under windows ?
Yes these are enabled. No clue why it's not working. I haven't tried Carista to enable them yet. Maybe I'll do that tonight.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Yes these are enabled. No clue why it's not working. I haven't tried Carista to enable them yet. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

That makes no sense, post a picture of your MMI screen showing either front, rear, or both front and rear set to on, ALSO are you pushing and holding the remote unlock or lock button, as they go down or up after so many seconds of holding the remote lock or unlock buttons...

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 07-16-2015 at 04:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Carista: VAG-specific diagnostics and coding through a smartphone app