A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The case against NEW Arnott struts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered two struts from them this morning. They should be here tomorrow. Now to get the struts out.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The RMT struts arrived just a little over 24 hours after ordering and the overnight delivery cost me about $50.

RMT does a beautiful job. Everything looks new or almost new. The struts even come with an new o-ring for the air fitting. Very good looking job.

The car leveled right out and will know in the morning if it is truly leak free. Word to those that are on the fence. Call them even if their website says that you have to send in your struts to be rebuilt. While they are low on A8 struts for instant shipping, they may have a pair ready to go. In my case, they did. Ordered them Monday and got them Tuesday morning. I don't know if the Audi dealer would be any faster.

5 stars on the RMT struts for looks.
5 stars for including the tiny o rings.
5 stars on the test drive.

Will conclude the review later this week.

Last edited by richard-tx; 07-26-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, RMT does a wonderful job with their service and product and don't even mention the lifetime warranty for replacement! They truly are a blessing and I hope this is the last time you have to replace them. I'm glad you had a great experience with them!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
The RMT struts arrived just a little over 24 hours after ordering and the overnight delivery cost me about $50.

RMT does a beautiful job. Everything looks new or almost new. The struts even come with an new o-ring for the air fitting. Very good looking job.
Pictures of the job ?
Old 07-27-2016, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No pictures of the job. It was too hot (99-103F) to be messing around with pictures. Wanted to bang it out and get inside where it was cool and comfortable. Took about 2 hours to R&R the front struts and upper control arms. Took a lot longer than an hour just to get the car on blocks. When the air is gone, it is impossible to get a floor jack under the lift points. Had to drive over 2x4s and 4x4s just to get enough clearance to fit a floor jack. Job requires two floor jacks unless you are crazy enough to crawl underneath the car while jacked up in the air to remove the belly pan. I wasn't desperate enough to do that. With no air in the suspension, if the car falls while you are underneath, it means certain death. Sudden changes in head geometry isn't conducive to life.

Last edited by richard-tx; 07-27-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

No pictures of the job. It was too hot (99-103F) to be messing around with pictures. Wanted to bang it out and get inside where it was cool and comfortable. Took about 2 hours to R&R the front struts and upper control arms. Took a lot longer than an hour just to get the car on blocks. When the air is gone, it is impossible to get a floor jack under the lift points. Had to drive over 2x4s and 4x4s just to get enough clearance to fit a floor jack. Job requires two floor jacks unless you are crazy enough to crawl underneath the car while jacked up in the air to remove the belly pan. I wasn't desperate enough to do that. With no air in the suspension, if the car falls while you are underneath, it means certain death. Sudden changes in head geometry isn't conducive to life.
+1. All the pictures necessary are in available service manuals.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
+1. All the pictures necessary are in available service manuals.
NO Kidding Mister Bally.....

I was simply asking if pictures were taken for the joy of seeing someone's work, or even the replacement RMT struts.

NEVERMIND !

Old 07-28-2016, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Richard,

Glad you got it done, in good time too !

I know what you mean with the heat, I have been working in a hotbox of a garage on my Bentley engine, it's been nasty, I should go buy a fan...

I still took pictures and video though.... Just busting ! but I did

Old 07-28-2016, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a heat pump in my garage. It doesn't get used a lot but it sure makes spending time out there more enjoyable. They are pretty cheap too.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

THe price for them is great from the website. They do S8 struts too ya?

Quick Reply: The case against NEW Arnott struts?