Continental Tire Question - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion
Log In 


A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010

Continental Tire Question

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
AudiWorld Member
 
Crisis3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 123
Default Continental Tire Question

Does anyone have experience with Continental ExtremeContact DWS? I'm running Continental ContiProContact now, but the replacement cost is steep.
Crisis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
 
uberwgn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 4,514
Default

I'd search on this topic - - you'll find many comments on the DWS.
uberwgn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
AudiWorld Member
 
03_AR_CO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis3 View Post
Does anyone have experience with Continental ExtremeContact DWS? I'm running Continental ContiProContact now, but the replacement cost is steep.
Like you already have seen, search on the topic, lots of tire posts on here. That said, I had a set of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, on my allroad, best tire I ever used on it. I had run on Michelins forever prior to that, they were only OK by comparison. I also have Continental ExtremeContact DWS on my 04 and 06 D3's, I like the ride they provide, the handling they offer, and they wear well. Also look at reviews, pricing, other options on tirerack.
__________________
Current:

2006 A8L W12 Black/Black
2004 A8L Atlas Gray Metalic
2001 TT Coupe 225 Silver


From the past:

2003 allroad Burgundy
1997 A6Q Avant Black
1996 A6Q Avant Pearl White
1991 200CS Q Gold
1987 5000S Gold
1986 4000S Black
1984 5000CS Q Avant Blue
03_AR_CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 501
Default

Not bad, but not great. Very soft sidewall. If you're looking for an all season, it doesn't get better than the new Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3.
bmwm750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
AudiWorld Member
 
Crisis3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750 View Post
Not bad, but not great. Very soft sidewall. If you're looking for an all season, it doesn't get better than the new Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3.
Can you clarify what the downside is of a soft sidewall?
Crisis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis3 View Post
Can you clarify what the downside is of a soft sidewall?
Cons: too much tire flex, leading to poor handling ("poor" here is somewhat subjective, as this is a luxury cruiser and not a sports car).

Pros: nice smooth ride.
bmwm750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
AudiWorld Member
 
Crisis3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 123
Default

Should I assume my ContiPros are more rigid?
Crisis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
AudiWorld Super User
 
Brozee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,017
Default

Nitto motivos have a nicer stiffer sidewall and are a direct comparison tire to the des and Michelin a/s 2 or 3s. Cheaper too with more treadwear and a 60k warranty. Had 275/35/20 put on my w12 and they were great. Conti pros I'd pass on. You want stiff go summer or deal with the softer sidewall.
Brozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montgomery, NJ
Posts: 1,127
Default Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 very weak sidewall

I had 4 Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 at $1400.00 installed on my W12 and the vehicle shook all over in the feel of the ride, so I took her up to about 45 and it still was horrible, I turned around and went back to the shop, they rebalanced them with their "$20,000.00" road force balancing machine, it still had a small wobble felling that was not there just prior to these new installs, well about 6 mile or so down the road all was fine, until the next morning the wobble was like the wheels were falling off, then about 5-7 miles down the road at speeds between 35-50 mph all smoothed out, so I again go back to the shop and they check balancing again and had to rebalanced, [WHY?] so I head out on the road and all feels good and within a mile of leaving the shop I hit a somewhat small pothole which put a huge bubble in the sidewall, now mine you this was not a gapping crater, it was small, I have hit some unavoidable potholes with the Pirelli's that were just removed and never had this happen, so they order a tire and charge me $68.00 towards it, only to have it happen again in very short time, this time it cost me $272.00, I only received a $80.00 credit from Michelin, why for the life of me I don't know, as there were only about 600 miles on them, now to make matters worse, every morning in the cold [below 50 ish degrees] the tires would wobble for the first 5-8 miles of my ride depending on speed, I called Michelin and went back to the shop and was informed that "this is the nature of the tire", even though these are "All Season", so now it gets worse, and I was told "should have parked it for the winter", as now I have a third with bubbles and the forth one actually punctured threw the inside sidewall, I was and still am very agitated with Michelin and my tire guy who I have used since 1972 with our family's [mom, dad, brothers, and sister] Auto Sales locations, I was so upset that I took my brand new Pirelli spare and put it on and drove my tire guy through a pothole not once but three times, and not one mark on the Pirelli, he was dumbfounded, but I was PO....

Bottom line I will not be buying Michelin's again, unless they prove themselves in product and Customer Service.

Johnny J J
JohnnyJ A6Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q View Post
I had 4 Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 at $1400.00 installed on my W12 and the vehicle shook all over in the feel of the ride, so I took her up to about 45 and it still was horrible, I turned around and went back to the shop, they rebalanced them with their "$20,000.00" road force balancing machine, it still had a small wobble felling that was not there just prior to these new installs, well about 6 mile or so down the road all was fine, until the next morning the wobble was like the wheels were falling off, then about 5-7 miles down the road at speeds between 35-50 mph all smoothed out, so I again go back to the shop and they check balancing again and had to rebalanced, [WHY?] so I head out on the road and all feels good and within a mile of leaving the shop I hit a somewhat small pothole which put a huge bubble in the sidewall, now mine you this was not a gapping crater, it was small, I have hit some unavoidable potholes with the Pirelli's that were just removed and never had this happen, so they order a tire and charge me $68.00 towards it, only to have it happen again in very short time, this time it cost me $272.00, I only received a $80.00 credit from Michelin, why for the life of me I don't know, as there were only about 600 miles on them, now to make matters worse, every morning in the cold [below 50 ish degrees] the tires would wobble for the first 5-8 miles of my ride depending on speed, I called Michelin and went back to the shop and was informed that "this is the nature of the tire", even though these are "All Season", so now it gets worse, and I was told "should have parked it for the winter", as now I have a third with bubbles and the forth one actually punctured threw the inside sidewall, I was and still am very agitated with Michelin and my tire guy who I have used since 1972 with our family's [mom, dad, brothers, and sister] Auto Sales locations, I was so upset that I took my brand new Pirelli spare and put it on and drove my tire guy through a pothole not once but three times, and not one mark on the Pirelli, he was dumbfounded, but I was PO....

Bottom line I will not be buying Michelin's again, unless they prove themselves in product and Customer Service.

Johnny J J
Wow. Not my experience with the A/S3, or ANY Michelin AT ALL. Nevermind your issues with the tires, that is not typical of their customer service. I have had Michelin pay for 100% of a new pair of PS2's on a Porsche that had 5000 miles on them since they "didn't wear properly" (It's a fast sports car, and I drive it as such- I expected to just pay for a new set of tires but they wound up eating it).

Given the performance of Michelins, and the fact that I can't even count how many PS2's I've mounted on high end wheels (factory Porsche, BBS, FIKSE) that took zero weight (and doing it on a high end Hunter machine), I'm more than convinced that they are the leader out there.

Side note, but Michelin are also the only tires that we run on our jets.
bmwm750 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 S8 Ordered and some questions... Jay-S8 A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion 16 09-28-2015 08:42 AM
2014 SQ5 Winter tires and rims for sale, Audi Mats & Audi Storage Bags for Tires retiredgal14 Q5/SQ5 Discussion 12 09-21-2015 01:22 PM
Audi Q7 2009 Q7 S-LINE, $22,500 Buckwheat2088 Vehicles For Sale 2 09-12-2015 07:01 AM
When to replace shocks and struts - Wobble at 20mph/40mph ZPA117 A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion 4 09-08-2015 11:55 AM
Need Help with Winter Tire/Wheel set at Tirerack mkirkpatrick Wheels & Tires Discussion 2 09-03-2015 08:31 AM


Tags
2014, eat, s8, tires

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:11 PM.