A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver seat "Medallion" replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver seat "Medallion" replacement ?

Hey All,

2006 A8 - the piece of plastic trim in the middle of the seat back has broken off - it is the long oval piece that is between your shoulder blades when you are sitting in the seat. I have the new pieces ...is there an easy way to access the back of the seat ? I can't even see a way to get the trim off the seat back to possibly access it, can't find any DIY's either... thoughts ? It is non functional but irritating as hell to my OCD brain !
Old 07-01-2015, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Install it with a dab of clear RTV or Silastic/Silicone adhesive and leave the inside mate alone. I reused mine that popped off (pins broke off flush) three years ago. Still holding well. No way was I taking the seat apart for that.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

That would be the way to go but...Don't have the original piece, just the new piece i bought - gonna try to access from seat back tomorrow
Old 07-01-2015, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default let us know...

Originally Posted by 2006A8LW12
That would be the way to go but...Don't have the original piece, just the new piece i bought - gonna try to access from seat back tomorrow
A friend and I both have the same problem with our driver's seats, so I'll be interested to hear what you get done. Gluing isnt the answer for me because the trim should pull the leather in and create a depression in order to match the other seats. The posts on the back of the trim piece push into a series of corresponding holes in a piece of plastic thats sewn to the seat behind the leather.

I thought about tying threads to the posts and running the threads through the holes in the plastic anchor piece and the through the seat padding with a needle. Then I maybe can pull the trim piece posts with enough force to click them into place. That process would involve removing the trim from the backside of the seat as you plan to do. In my case there is a tray table and its shell to remove instead of the usual seat back trim, which is a more difficult process so I havent gotten up the ambition yet.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visit this link with the service manuals and click on Manual #29 General Body Repairs - Interior

It will give you step by step instructions on removing the covers.

D3 Tech dump - A8 Parts Forum
Old 07-01-2015, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

wow thanks - albatross boss thats a goldmine !
Old 07-01-2015, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
Gluing isnt the answer for me because the trim should pull the leather in and create a depression in order to match the other seats. The posts on the back of the trim piece push into a series of corresponding holes in a piece of plastic thats sewn to the seat behind the leather.
Both of my front seats look identical. One is original, the other is held with Silastic. I guess the backing plate is still held to the seat on mine. If it wasnt, I would buy the new parts and disassemble as shown in the service manual I bought 9 1/2 years ago when I bought the car.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

So - I removed the back rest panels and tried to access the back plastic piece of the medallion, I can feel it under the seat foam but cannot access it. I was trying to push out the broken pieces with a screwdriver so i could just pop in the new piece but can't make it work - we tried for an afternoon. it appears you need to pull the leather off the back rest to get into the foam to replace the piece. another possible alternative may be to remove the headrest adjusting mechanism to cut through the foam from behind to install backing piece. can't seem to figure out how remove that with seat in car and leather in place. going to try RTV fix first. that at least won't do any damage and may do the trick.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I glued the broken off piece back on

I used a plastic epoxy that came in two tubes to mix together. I applied some to the back of the broken off piece and some to the leather and stuck them together. seems to be holding.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Im going to try the rtv first as it can be removed easily if need be...in the event I need to take the seat apart for heaters or motors i will install the medallion backing part then

Quick Reply: Driver seat "Medallion" replacement ?