A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivin' me to drink...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivin' me to drink...

I removed, rebuilt, and reinstalled the HVAC blower fan today, all I can say is I'd like a bit more engineering, and a little less art.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Everything is meant to go together once, and only once.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Haha yeah I am in the middle of this. We had to take the plenum covers off....pull the weatherstripping, remove the air filter and cover. Then it was hit and miss to find all of the torx screws but we managed to get them without removing the strut brace. The motor for the flap is PIA to get at. I realize that when I finally do pull the blower I am going to have to remove the strut brace, the windscreen cowl and wipers just to get the cover off of the fan and the fan out. Loads of fun!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ohsigmachi
I removed, rebuilt, and reinstalled the HVAC blower fan today, all I can say is I'd like a bit more engineering, and a little less art.
So are you drinking Champagne or rotgut? Sounds like you fixed it, so it'd be the former.

On a serious note, is there an alternative (i.e., replacing the whole assembly)? How much? Thinking about THAT ought to make you feel better!

Tom
Old 05-23-2016, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

What is the big deal about removing the strut brace? Eight nuts and bolts total.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
What is the big deal about removing the strut brace? Eight nuts and bolts total.
Just have to do it. That's all. Bitching here because you guys would understand it...wifey would just look at me like "when are you going to be done".

Old 05-24-2016, 12:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Not sure which car you're servicing, mine had 12 bolts and 4 carpet fasteners...

Last edited by ohsigmachi; 05-24-2016 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic
So are you drinking Champagne or rotgut? Sounds like you fixed it, so it'd be the former.

On a serious note, is there an alternative (i.e., replacing the whole assembly)? How much? Thinking about THAT ought to make you feel better!

Tom
Yes, well the difference between what I spent and what the indy shop in Honolulu quoted could be measured in several CASES of Four Roses...
Old 05-24-2016, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When replacing the blower motor on my father's 1964 Oldsmobile, the instructions say to remove the front fender. Consider yourself lucky. It could be far worse.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
When replacing the blower motor on my father's 1964 Oldsmobile, the instructions say to remove the front fender. Consider yourself lucky. It could be far worse.
I guarantee it's less of a job on the Olds even with the fender removal. Just mark/count/photograph the shims (if any) and put them back the same

Originally Posted by ohsigmachi
Yes, well the difference between what I spent and what the indy shop in Honolulu quoted could be measured in several CASES of Four Roses...
What's Four Roses cost in HI? It's $23-25 a fifth here, 33% less in Kentucky, due to taxes mainly.
Hope you're not suggesting it's rotgut; that stuff is surprisingly good for the price!

I personally dislike Champagne and would advise novice imbibers to never drink it directly from the bottle; it comes out your nose and ears (darn eustachian tubes) and the limo drivers hate that.

Quick Reply: Drivin' me to drink...