A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floating cell phone mount (PIC Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floating cell phone mount (PIC Heavy)

This mod was made for the simple fact i didn't like any of the options available for a cellphone mount. Moving from a 5 inch to a 6 inch phone meant I could no longer rest it in the cup holder. I think most would agree that sitting inside our cars and looking at the artwork of the dash and blend of carbon fiber/wood, aluminum and leather just make you smile. So I went on the insane task of finding the perfect cell phone mount. Here are the requirements.
  • sturdy
  • universal
  • one handed cell phone attachment and removal
  • adjustable
  • easy to remove
  • didn't block a vent
  • didn't stick to anything
  • looked like it was part of the car/dash

After lots and lots of googling on the line, I found this:
Nochoice Magnetic Car Mount Kit for Cell Phones (1 Magnet + 1 Ball): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics Nochoice Magnetic Car Mount Kit for Cell Phones (1 Magnet + 1 Ball): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
( find the 42mm version if you have a big phone, 32mm will not hold it.)
After more brainstorming I came up with what you see in the pictures.
What you see is my second version, the first being made of Plexiglas
My third version will not use gorilla glue (lol) and may have have the metallic ball seated into the carbon fiber or on second thought just replace the mount the ball is sitting on with carbon fiber.

5 inch phone

6 inch phone

Old 10-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Instructions to make your own.
You will need the following
Nochoice Magnetic Car mount (42mm) Nochoice Magnetic Car mount (42mm)

Carbon fiber Carbon fiber
/
plexiglass plexiglass
/ wood (At the minimum 3.5-4mm thick)
• Optional:
Sticker Sticker
to match to above material.
• A tool to cut and or shape material. I used a dremel.

1. Cut material 4 inches’ long
2. Stick Nochoice Magnetic Car mount on one end
3. Stick metal disk to phone or simply place disk between case and phone
4. Stick it in the console and see if your hand hits the phone when you shift into park (Problem I had with the first version)
5. Cut shorter if needed
6. Please share with other Audi members with different cars that may have a spot to stick this thing or if it may work in mercs or beemers please share.

*Clarification: The end of the arm is wedged in between the opening in the console above the A/C controls. It looks like there is no space but if you peak under there you can see there is a gap.

Last edited by Jehu8; 10-12-2015 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks very slick! my only question is how do you have the carbon fiber arm?

I think my wife bought one of those magnetic holder things recently.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Freakin love it! Especially if I can mount it in the middle of the console right under the MMI Screen instead of to the right or left.

I too am curious how you mounted the arm to the console.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CobraCommander
Looks very slick! my only question is how do you have the carbon fiber arm?

I think my wife bought one of those magnetic holder things recently.

Originally Posted by Hannibalacp82
Freakin love it! Especially if I can mount it in the middle of the console right under the MMI Screen instead of to the right or left.

I too am curious how you mounted the arm to the console.
It is literally wedged in between the console. if you look at the lat picture where its inserted, you can see the blue painters tape. it was used so the leather wouldn't get scratched, added friction so the phone wouldn't easily move horizontally and to hold the 2 carbon fiber arms together. Enough surface area is inserted to hold the entire thing in place without the arm moving at all vertically. When I place my phone on it, there is no droop or sag. At speed and over bumps there is no vibration noticeable enough to top you from reading anything on the screen. Of course the Plexiglass I used had more play in it than the carbon fiber, but to notice any vibration in both you would need to really stare at it.

Side note: Instructional post updated with links to the carbon fiber, plexiglass and carbon fiber sticker used.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. I look forward to trying to build this.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I commend your attempt at this. Although, it won't be very sustainable if you plan to install/remove it periodically. Reason is because each time you push that CF "pop" stick into that crevice, you're slowly tearing the leather on the center console. The close-up reveals the damage that has been done already. I see you attempted to counteract this by wrapping the "pop" stick with blue tape (not appealing) but this just exacerbates the issue since it adds thickness to the stick. Additionally, if you would really want your creation to somewhat match the interior then I would closely inspect it to remove the excess epoxy.

Make sure to report to use any long term results and impressions.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GradecEngineering
I commend your attempt at this. Although, it won't be very sustainable if you plan to install/remove it periodically. Reason is because each time you push that CF "pop" stick into that crevice, you're slowly tearing the leather on the center console. The close-up reveals the damage that has been done already. I see you attempted to counteract this by wrapping the "pop" stick with blue tape (not appealing) but this just exacerbates the issue since it adds thickness to the stick. Additionally, if you would really want your creation to somewhat match the interior then I would closely inspect it to remove the excess epoxy.

Make sure to report to use any long term results and impressions.
I am aware its not perfect( You should have seen the first version, it was pretty gnarly.) Tearing was done from the plexiglass. I used Gorilla glue because I was reusing the base and forgot how Gorilla glue expands so lesson learned there. (Girlfriend got the new base to use in her car.) I don't notice any further abrasion removing the "pop stick" but i have only removed it from the console maybe 5 times in the 6+ months I have had it in the car.The plexiglass had electrical tape and I noticed it made the leather sweat or it could have been condensation from the A/C. Do you have any recommendations for a wrap?

Last edited by Jehu8; 10-12-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

This is what I use with a universal swivel mount, sits along side the console and I have access to everything on the heater controls and MMI:

KUDA OEM leather iPhone GPS Mount for AUDI A8/S8 (04-10) black
Old 10-13-2015, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 03_AR_CO
This is what I use with a universal swivel mount, sits along side the console and I have access to everything on the heater controls and MMI:

KUDA OEM leather iPhone GPS Mount for AUDI A8/S8 (04-10) black
I saw that one and a similar product that clips on under the vent that was considered. It was a bit too clunky IMHO and before I saw the post about the Audi OEM bluetooth I was using my finger to change songs on apps like pandora. I just have to turn the phone sideways and i can reach everything easily but my radar button.

Quick Reply: Floating cell phone mount (PIC Heavy)