A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halogen Parking Light to LED SWAP (pic intensive)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Light Error Code

I too am getting an error with the LED light replacement for DRL purchased from the links posted, which go away after a minute or so. The owner of the site said he would give me a credit for the ones purchased if they did not work.

I ordered several LED lights from eBay (China) for most of the other lights in the car and will be trying a few different ones from various vendors for the DRL. I will let everyone know if this solves any of the errors, as I really don't want to be adding resistors to the wiring.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Clean The Contact Points

Has anyone considered cleaning the Contact Point? It seems that some get errors and others don't. Some get errors every now and then which leads me to beleive that cleaning with an Acetone or Alchohal Based Solution may help. I say clean contacts before installing as I will before upgrading my lights this week. If this doesn't help then I will be sending those Park Light Bulbs back and continue the search for something that works. Laters,
Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default LED Lights

I will try cleaning contacts as soon as new lights arrive. I am thinking that the resistor that is utilized in the LED light to cancel out the error heats up and then start to work. I will try 1) cleaning 2) utilizing a few different bulb manufactures and post results.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Cleaning isn't a factor here as the stock lights work perfectly. The problem is it seems to not affect the 2004 year model but it does 2005+
Old 10-18-2010, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Cleaning isn't a factor here as the stock lights work perfectly. The problem is it seems to not affect the 2004 year model but it does 2005+
It's just my OCD! I have a bad habbit of cleaning things even Light Sockets. Ouch! Laters,
Old 10-18-2010, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by williebone
It's just my OCD! I have a bad habbit of cleaning things even Light Sockets. Ouch! Laters,
I understand completely!

It was a worthy thought.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My Observation!

So, I did the LED Light Upgrade to Courtesy, Trunk and City Lights. I did get an Error Messages (Bulb Out) for the City Lights, but everything else is fine. I went to put the Old Bulbs (City Lights) back in and they didn't Light Up! So, I put the LEDs back in and said I'll live with the Error untill I figure something out, but this time there was no more warning.

I must confess that I didn't like the LEDs after a while because something was Odd! Then it hit me, because I am now able to run the Fogs w/City Lights now that I've changed Vag Coding, I was loving the Match of the Fog & City Lights (Yellowish). But not only that, I also noticed something else and that was that the Factory Bulb lit up the Head Lamp Housing giving it a Nice Glow.

The Problem is that the Single LED is Focussed and not 360 Degrees of Lighting therefor losing a Very Attractive Look in the Headlight Housing. So, here's my Fix to this! Since I'm Upgrading the Fogs to HID 5000K, I will switch the LEDs to an OBC White 5 LED Bulb (4300K). It will have the Top Main Light (Focussed) and 4 Additional Lights surrounding the Poll and these are called 360s (360 Degrees) which Illuminate the Housing as did the Original Bulb.

The HID Fogs will now be a match to the 360 Degree City Lights thereby regaining that Distinguished Look of the City & Fog Light Match with HL Housing Illuminated. So, I say that if you must switch the City Lights then you should also swith the Fogs. However, the Fogs Play an important part in Safety and LEDs wont give you Proper Fog Light Lumins. Also, you can't just throw a Xenon Look Fog Light Bulb in to gain an Estetic Match without Sacrificing Safety. In my opinion you have to also Upgrade your Fogs to HID.

I'm just putting an Extra Spin on this Thread for Pure Estetics as well as Safty Puposes. Although Osram 65w Ralley is a Great Bulb for our Fogs, it's only sold in an H7 and 2005 and Older A8s use H11. This has been a learning experience and I feel that the look will be pleasing when I finish Installing all of the New Front Bulbs (LEDs/HIDs). This has been a Great Write UP! Thanks & laters,

Last edited by williebone; 10-26-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just recently did the fog light vag coding, I have the HOEN bulbs in my foggies. Didn't have a chance to take pics of how the Parking LED's match with the foggies. I was side swiped in a parking lot took my mirror off so its in the shop now. Once i get it back I'll post pics of how they look with matching Fogs.

I will do the HID upgrade on my fogs eventually...
Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AEinaD3
I just recently did the fog light vag coding, I have the HOEN bulbs in my foggies. Didn't have a chance to take pics of how the Parking LED's match with the foggies. I was side swiped in a parking lot took my mirror off so its in the shop now. Once i get it back I'll post pics of how they look with matching Fogs.

I will do the HID upgrade on my fogs eventually...
Sorry to hear about your Parking Lot incedent! I try and park way out or park in the middle of 2 Parking Spaces to prevent those kind of things from happening. I checked with your Source for 360 Degree LED and they do have that Configuration, but they are out and are giving me a refund on the City Light Single LEDs. If you do decide to switch to a 360 Config and Upgrade to HID Fogs then here's the Links. Laters

HID Fogs + Inline Error Elliminator + Life Time Waranty:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/101/

360 Degree White OBC LEDs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLKSWAGEN-GTi-R32-5-SMD-LED-WHITE-PARKING-OBC-LIGHTS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5adcab4cf9QQitemZ39024 9270521QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Last edited by williebone; 10-26-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 05SilverA8
I too am getting an error with the LED light replacement for DRL purchased from the links posted, which go away after a minute or so. The owner of the site said he would give me a credit for the ones purchased if they did not work.

I ordered several LED lights from eBay (China) for most of the other lights in the car and will be trying a few different ones from various vendors for the DRL. I will let everyone know if this solves any of the errors, as I really don't want to be adding resistors to the wiring.
Hey did you find a good set? Im looking to purchase some led's for the parking lights before the weeks out, one of my lights just went out today.

Quick Reply: Halogen Parking Light to LED SWAP (pic intensive)