A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Issues with 2006 D3/A8 Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Issues with 2006 D3/A8 Tail Lights

I am the proud owner of a 2006 Audi A8/D3 Oyster Grey with 19 inch factory rimes, my tail lights seem to be giving me some issues. When the lights come on )Auto mode) or lights are fully turned on the tail lights are not working correctly. The Passenger side works fine, the upper and bottom portion of the LED lights flash when I signal and are bright when flashing. The DRIVER side tail light is brighter up top than the passenger side and only the lower portion of the light flashes when the signal indicator is on, as again the upper portion of this light is very bright. I have taken them apart, no water inside, but frm a distance you can see how the passenger side flashes and looks good the driver side flashes but is outshined by the uppor portion of the LED. If anyone has any ideas or has experienced this please let me know ho you remedied this problem if need be I can include a video or pictures.

Ghost 77 or
Old 04-17-2015, 11:29 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default UNPLUG THE INNER

Hello Ghost,
My drivers side outer tail light did that about 15 months ago, and it turned out that it was the inner trunk mounted tail/reverse light that was at fault, the inner unit had moisture and shorted the outer, if you unplug the inner and the outer works correctly, then you know, mine is back to the same problem as of this week, they have some sealing flaws and get wet inside, this will be the third inner on my driver side, I will most likely silicone the new one on all sides.....

Johnny J J
Old 04-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds like a short. I recently replaced my taillights because one was leaky and i wanted the new design on my car. If you want to buy them for a fair price. They work perfectly with only 6-10 leds being out.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Hello Ghost,
My drivers side outer tail light did that about 15 months ago, and it turned out that it was the inner trunk mounted tail/reverse light that was at fault, the inner unit had moisture and shorted the outer, if you unplug the inner and the outer works correctly, then you know, mine is back to the same problem as of this week, they have some sealing flaws and get wet inside, this will be the third inner on my driver side, I will most likely silicone the new one on all sides.....

Johnny J J
Johnny you may be correct I had a similar issue on the passenger side and after getting the water out of that one, properly sealing it and the hood ligt and sealing it, it worked fine. Going to ****** that puppy out and check it now I will keep you posted.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Ghost77
Johnny you may be correct I had a similar issue on the passenger side and after getting the water out of that one, properly sealing it and the hood ligt and sealing it, it worked fine. Going to ****** that puppy out and check it now I will keep you posted.
Johnny I took the lamp apart and the thing had about 2 teaspoons of water in there. I wanted to leave it apart but instead got all the water out, resealed it and hope just the heat and use will dry it out and correct the issue. Humongous pain in the ***. I can imagine it is for you especially being in Jersey. I'm from NY so I know Jersey ops can be a pain in the ***.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jehu8
Sounds like a short. I recently replaced my taillights because one was leaky and i wanted the new design on my car. If you want to buy them for a fair price. They work perfectly with only 6-10 leds being out.
I think that will be my long term solution but fr nw if I can just get them working properly. have found the retrofit from VAG on ebay plug and play set for $1000. If I can find them cheaper I will go for it, but for now stashing money aside for the ones that I found.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jehu8
I just need the outers but let me know how much you want--PMing you now, not to hijack
Old 04-17-2015, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Salty I will let you know, i drained all the fluid hopefully it wrks right after it dries up. Had the same issue on the passenger side and after draining it, it took about a day it was working correctly but now the driver side is doing it.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default New user

Originally Posted by Ghost77
I am the proud owner of a 2006 Audi A8/D3 Oyster Grey with 19 inch factory rimes, my tail lights seem to be giving me some issues. When the lights come on )Auto mode) or lights are fully turned on the tail lights are not working correctly. The Passenger side works fine, the upper and bottom portion of the LED lights flash when I signal and are bright when flashing. The DRIVER side tail light is brighter up top than the passenger side and only the lower portion of the light flashes when the signal indicator is on, as again the upper portion of this light is very bright. I have taken them apart, no water inside, but frm a distance you can see how the passenger side flashes and looks good the driver side flashes but is outshined by the uppor portion of the LED. If anyone has any ideas or has experienced this please let me know ho you remedied this problem if need be I can include a video or pictures.

Ghost 77 or
Did you find a fix to the problem? My car started doing the same thing 2days ago.