A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indy Mechanic: "Dead Battery Took Out Key Recognition, wants Car to go to $tealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default When the immobilizer is already activated

Only dealer can get it done... When the module is flagged to immobilize, all the dealer needs to do is to reprogram to remove the flag, I'm sure it's just an I2c in the module being read & written. Our famous original $349 VCDS should be able to do this, I wonder why they don't provide the codes to do it. If you never want your car to be stranded, immobilized anywhere, put the spare key somewhere in the vicinity of the ignition, thief can steal your car, but who would want to steal our troublesome, expensive to fix A8(L)?

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-02-2016, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
... I believed the "Indy Master" might used a wrong key from another car to start the car and activated the immobilizer, hence the battery is still good (never dead in the first place). ...
I would bring all the spare keys and try to make sure nothing else is the problems (the immobilizer key should appear on the dash - at least on my brother's 2000 A8). Tow the car to the dealer to get all keys reprogram to take the car out of immobilization.
...If I have to take my car an hour away to anyone to fix my car, I would not own that kind of car...
Louis
Good theory, hadn't thought of that. Unbelievable that simply using the wrong key would set off immobilizer - some families have 5-6 Audis, and this is bound to happen. I don't think Art is that cruel!

Mechanic has both (all my) keys.

This mechanic used to co-own a shop that was 15 minutes from me. Now he's about 10 miles away, but there's this pesky lake I have to get around to get to his shop. The dealer is even worse, they're ~20 miles South of downtown; I'm 20 miles northeast of Nashville. They moved there (from downtown) about a year after I bought the car.

...If I have to take my car an hour away to anyone to fix my car, I would not own that kind of car...
Louis
In my life, I have only needed to take a car to a mechanic twice, this being the second time. And they either were sold working, totalled (wife rear-ended twice), or I still have them (In other words, I don't drive them til something breaks and then junk it). And I really love this car; I would own it even if I had to take it to the dealer, if it weren't for their astronomical rate and insistence on replacing everything linked to whatever component is actually defective.

Storka: Worth a try if I can get VCDS to power up!

Last edited by aTOMic; 07-02-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello All,

I am a little confused.

Tom,
does the Indy in-fact have your correct key, because just using a wrong key does not set the immobilizer for life until the dealer resets it, if he used the wrong key the then vehicle entry would not be allowed, and then the "KESSY" immobilizer would not allow the vehicle to start, for that matter it should not even turn on dash lights, {besides the normal illumination of the odometer and clock when opening the door}, I just went out and tried it with my 05 A8L W12 with keyless entry and start, I left the car unlocked with the key in the house (far away) and when I opened the door and inserted a flathead in the ignition I got nothing, besides the norm when opening the door as stated above, then I used the Bentley key, and nothing, next an old Audi key, still nothing, went in and got the right key and all is as it should be, hell I even had two other non matched keys in the vehicle but the Audi saw the correct one, so as soon as your Indy sat in the vehicle with the correct key the immobilizer would see the correct key and all would operated as it should, just also to share, I just programmed my new keys to the Bentley GT with Ross-Tech, I have the original key that no longer works except for the key blade which I can use to unlock the door but then the dash shows immobilizer immediately because of no signal for authorization, and then does nothing at all, but minutes later I can have the new key in hand and the immobilizer is de-activated, So a question, does the dash say "IMMOBILIZER" or "KEY NOT FOUND" or anything at all, I have tried all different scenarios with the Audi and can not any IMMO message of any kind, I can only get key not found if I start it by push button and take the key out of the vehicle while it is running.

Tom,

As I am typing this I believe that you have an 04, and I am not sure if you have keyless entry.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Only dealer can get it done... When the module is flagged to immobilize, all the dealer needs to do is to reprogram to remove the flag,
Cheers,

Louis
Hi Louis,

Hope all is well, just a heads up, the KESSY/IMMOBILIZER does not need to go to the dealer or have anyone remove a "flag" the KESSY, it has a timer function for the lockout and the immobilizer is only active for so many minutes, so if someone tries with the wrong key over and over it stays locked, if they wait the number of minutes as the kessy wants, then with correct key the all is good and immobilizer is deactivated.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...wapping_(Kessy)
Old 07-02-2016, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default It's good to know GG... You're always full of info that I should know.

Thanks for verifying this - Most people would get panic and start doing it over and over until the latter case... locked out for ever.
I think the smart key is different system from the NON smart key which Tom 04 is. His doesn't have keyless start button.
Now, back to your experiment - if wrong key, when does the KESSY/IMMOBILIZER get activated since you can't start the car. I don't know about our 'newer' A8 D3, but other audi cars without keyless start, the theory is when the engine started (without the correct key - in case of hot wiring), the system would check the signature and immobilizes the car, that would make sense, wouldn't it? Why do I have a plastic key? I haven't read about it yet, what does it do?

Cheers,

Louis
QUOTE=Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT;24830212]Hi Louis,

Hope all is well, just a heads up, the KESSY/IMMOBILIZER does not need to go to the dealer or have anyone remove a "flag" the KESSY, it has a timer function for the lockout and the immobilizer is only active for so many minutes, so if someone tries with the wrong key over and over it stays locked, if they wait the number of minutes as the kessy wants, then with correct key the all is good and immobilizer is deactivated.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...wapping_(Kessy)[/QUOTE]
Old 07-03-2016, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Thanks, Storka, I did find some helpful stuff searching your old posts. One guy who had immobilizer problems (05A8w12) didn't post the resolution so I pm'd him...

Using search on the Bentley cd I found there are two immo versions which need to be replaced after they're activated if I understand it correctly. Inside that black plastic box in front of the battery. Haven't searched for that yet... J655 "Battery Switch-off Relay". Joy. Prolly cheaper than the $1189 module under the seat (KESSY but D3 manual calls it something different).
used kessy is under $200.
when you say you have dash lights do you mean ignition ?
if yes get a vcd read and it will tell a lot.
Also someone asked do you get any key message on your screen ?

Last edited by storka; 07-03-2016 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for all the help. The car is an hour away and the shop's closed til tuesday.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

(tuesday of last week) I'm planning on going Monday 07/25/16.

Last time I went I discovered power is getting to (at least) the fuseboxes including the one on driver's side dash. It's like everything's OK except the car does not know there's a key in it.

Any additional info appreciated. Like how to get VCDS to work w/o ignition on (sorry, I admit I have not searched over at Ross-Tech (but I will)
Old 07-24-2016, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't know if this works
Old 07-25-2016, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Like how to get VCDS to work w/o ignition on

Hello Tom,

You can try holding down the brake pedal for 20 seconds to wake up the diagnostics, or placing a jumper in the driver's side dash fuse box to power up the instrument cluster fuse or ignition fuse, I did this in the Bentley when I did not have a working key, just the brake pedal worked for me, but it would not reach all modules, but when jumping the fuses everything was reachable, I would just jump power to the 5 amp instrument cluster fuse if the 20 second BP trick does not work.

Quick Reply: Indy Mechanic: "Dead Battery Took Out Key Recognition, wants Car to go to $tealer